Personal Likes/Dislikes

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In 20+ years of training, I've seen a lot of bad stuff: politics, liars & cheats, & power-hungry folks. But I've also met many life-long friends & people I would trust with my last nickel. I've learned to use the discipline I started learning at 14 to go onto college & grad school & still use daily in my personal life.

Maybe I'll write more when I'm not so tired.:)

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
phlaw said:
The only thing that truly bothers me in TKD is POLITICS. It completely ruins everything that any martial art stands for. Some of these so called masters are completely childish when it come to some things.

Yup, and this ticks me off too to no ends :ticked:

It's all Bovine Scatology, ya know what I'm saying...:uhyeah:

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What are the politics that occur in TKD. I hear that alot from TKD practicioners but I dont know what all that encompasses.
Could you all share some more light on this?

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
-It is more of an organization thing, but I really like how the TKD I study is organized, structured, and supported.

-I like the more militarized structure of classes. I have no problem with a informal type learning environment, but there is just something about the mentality change when training under a strict structure that I like.

Dislikes:

-Point sparring & no punches to the head.

-Again, an organization thing, but the "Everybody is a winner" mentality. I have no problem with a positive environment, but when taken too far the mentaility leads to the encouragement of mediocracy and the coddleing of students.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
What are the politics that occur in TKD. I hear that alot from TKD practicioners but I dont know what all that encompasses.
Could you all share some more light on this?
Mostly it's a WTF vs ITF thing. North vs South Korean thing, Olympic sport vs traditional TKD and so much more that is involved, etc, etc,. It's late here on the Pacific coast and I have to get some sleep so I can go train tomorrow, so I'm gonna shut it down. If that were not the case I would post a long big assed biased opinion on the politics I've observed in my art. You TKD practitioners that are still awake, have at it... :boxing:

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Again, the lack of punches I can use in sparring.
Basically playing "Foot Tag" (my master didnt like that term at all I might add).

I want creative freedom!!! Damn WTF rules.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to admit that there are some TKD practitioners who are pretty lethal with their foot tag taps. I know, I've been blasted a few times and even wearing body armor, errr a hogu I still felt the shock of the foot tag down to my bones... :whip:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hehehehehe Foot tag. I like that LOL.

Anyways, I couldn't agree more with the politics thing. Not just between the ITF and WTF. There is even dojang politics. I hate it. It just ruins everything. But I don't get involved (don't want to), and I pretty much ignore it if possible. I'm there to train, not play mind games.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I myself love TKD I think it's great for defending yourself and could not ever think about stoping. the one thing that really buggs me is when people pout down TKD because they think there style is better but most times I just let it roll off my back

Latest Discussions