Personal Likes/Dislikes

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What do u like and what do u dislike about TKD?
Are there some myths that still bother you today about TKD?

I have been in TKD for a year and since joining this site I have learned an awful lot from you all and hope to continue too.
I like to hear your personal opinions on how the art is to you and all.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Really the only thing that bothers me about TKD anymore is that some people seem to think that their organization's style of TKD is the only TKD, and everyone else is wrong for not doing things the same way. But that problem isn't unique to us.

What I like the best is how much TKD had taught me about using my body.

As far as myths and misconceptions go, there's been lots of discussion on this before. Here's on that I started, but there are others: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16308

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I ask a similar question to my students at each testing.

Personally, I love TKD. I can't imagine what my life would be like without it. There is hardly a day that goes by that I have not done some aspect of training.

Miles

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love TKD- as a whole, even as a sport (even though I don't do that). The only thing I don't like is the common misconceptions others have- they don't have hand tech's, take-downs, etc. Now, I just ignore it when someone says what TKD lacks.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy competing in tournaments, last year i was fighting guys who were pretty good. But this year ill be fighting the elites in the tournaments :D i love seeing improvement in my skills. ( btw my first tournament this year is Saturday)

I dont like the fact MY school only teaches me how to defend with my legs and a few hand strikes. Zero grappling skills.

Laborm.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck with the tournament! Tournaments are fun to watch and participate in.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD is what I have chosen over the year, I too cannot imagine life without TKD. It has been more than just sport for me and I know all the techs. I learned maybe from other Art but my TKD instructor tought it to me so it is TKD for me.
Terry

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like is the sparring rules (WTF).

There ARE take-downs and stuff in TKD. I do cross-train, and my jujitsu instructor fills in the non-grappling thing, but he even likes the stuff we do in TKD.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favorites are sparring, poomse, learning various self-defense techniques where tournament rules don't apply, just street rules :EG: , and MA weapons training. Just the overall general TKD/Martial Arts training I get at my dojang is what keeps me coming back for more cuz I truly like it.

What I don't like is when during our training some of the other practitioners just go through the motions and don't make a concerted effort, and just do things half-assed. I mean if you're there at the dojang at least try, get yourself a good workout and put in a worthwhile training day. It's doesn't matter if you're not that good or just a newbie MA. Just make a friggin effort and try hard that's all. I guess that's why TKD gets a bad rap. It's so popular that its lead to the foramation of many Mc Dojangs out there that will advance their students up the ranks to BB as long as they continue to show up, go through the motions, and pay their testing fees. This is what disrespects our art.

But there are some of us who are serious about our art. Sorry for my rant... :tantrum:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favorites are sparring, poomse, learning various self-defense techniques where tournament rules don't apply, just street rules :EG: , and MA weapons training. Just the overall general TKD/Martial Arts training I get at my dojang is what keeps me coming back for more cuz I truly like it.

What I don't like is when during our training some of the other practitioners just go through the motions and don't make a concerted effort, and just do things half-assed. I mean if you're there at the dojang at least try, get yourself a good workout and put in a worthwhile training day, break a good sweat. It doesn't matter if you're not that good or just a newbie MA. Just make a friggin effort and try hard that's all. I guess that's why TKD gets a bad rap. It's so popular that its leads to the formation of Mc Dojangs out there that will advance their students up the ranks to BB as long as they continue to show up, go through the motions, and pay their testing fees. This is what disrespects our art.

But there are some of us who are serious about our art. Sorry for my rant... :tantrum:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
:uhohh: when trying to edit my last post I screwed up. My bad, now I feel like a MT newbie. Sorry fellow martial artists, I wasn't trying to beat a dead horse... :deadhorse

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The only thing that truly bothers me in TKD is POLITICS. It completely ruins everything that any martial art stands for. Some of these so called masters are completely childish when it come to some things.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
At the risk of being largely unpopular, I'd have to say one of the things I dislike is the whole WTF outlook to TKD. It seems everything is based on competition these days and how to get trophies and not self defense or the traditional teachings of TKD. Here's some examples based on my experience at 3 WTF schools. And before anyone flames me, I fully realize that 3 schools does not make a majority, but there's definitely a pattern here...

Poomse: Only required for belt promotions. Serve no purpose and are not useful for scoring in competition. Therefore only gloss over them in class to get the "gross movements" down (I was told that once).

Techinques: Focus only on those techniques that are allowable in competition. All others be damned. Backfist, knife-hand, ridge hand, etc....all NOT taught as part of the curriculum. Hey, you can't score with them in a tournament so why worry about having to learn how to use them.

Hosinsul/One/Three Step Sparring: Once again, do nothing to hone competion skills, so let's not waste time on them. Our time is better spent on line drills and sparring drills.

It just seems to me to be an ever-emerging theme that the "game" is more important the self-defense aspect of this wonderful martial art. Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with tournaments and all they entail (except the whole no blocking thing...trains bad habits), but I don't think that they are the end all and be all of Taekwondo. They are a part of the whole, but the whole seems to be getting neglected for the part.

As I've said before, I'm the first to admit I've been McDojanged in the past and I know there are plenty of WTF schools that portray the whole. BUT...as I stated earlier, 3 schools with the same general attitude?...kind of implies that the "martial" aspects of this martial art are not longer being appropriately stressed in favor of the more "sexy" competition aspects. In the end, you only teach what you've learned and I see too many people glomming on to the gaming/showmanship aspect to TKD. Makes me worry about the future of something I love.

cali_tkdbruin said:
What I don't like is when during our training some of the other practitioners just go through the motions and don't make a concerted effort, and just do things half-assed.
ME TOO!!!!:rpo:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I don't like in our school is that we don't have a set curriculum just whim of the day and if you go enough days, you might get some sparring, form etc. in within a week. I don't see the benefit out of doing 5000 front kicks when there is no practice leading up to it and it results in torn down hamstrings. I don't like favoritism and watered down requirements. I don't like disorganization nor unclean floors. Yes, I am the only one who cleans them occasionally. I don't like being preached Christian in TKD class, when the self appointed preacher-teacher has a very narrow viewpoint. I don't like that the black belts cannot communicate with each other nor have meetings with "input". I don't like that it is a given that BB's give service, ie teaching on the spot when the master instructor does not show up, without a call or a thank you. That goes along with dictatorships and it does not promote new ideas, initiative, nor change, nor motivation to be part of the organization/school.

I do like comraderie of practicing daily with people with similar interests and values. I like the whole body workouts generally. I like to be able to defend myself. I like to be strong and flexible as opposed to some 50 somethings on the street. Taekwondo besides, all that above, is fun. It is a good activity for the whole family to relate more to each other. It is also rewarding to teach and be thanked like last night for being a good teacher even if I think it was just details that I was showing. It is fun to see them recognize what I am saying, and say that helps so much! It is fun to see that they also think TKD is fun. Guess that is why I am teaching in this school and still part of this organization. TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeti said:
At the risk of being largely unpopular, I'd have to say one of the things I dislike is the whole WTF outlook to TKD. It seems everything is based on competition these days and how to get trophies and not self defense or the traditional teachings of TKD. Here's some examples based on my experience at 3 WTF schools. And before anyone flames me, I fully realize that 3 schools does not make a majority, but there's definitely a pattern here...

Don't sweat it. We're not real big on flaming here. Nobody is going to tell you you're not entitled to your own opinion. Especially when it's based on your own life experience. It's a shame that your experience was such because I'd have to agree with many others above that I can't even imagine my life without my TKD. I wish I could have shared that experience with you. Shame.

I'd have to say that the only thing I really don't like is the politics. It's only fortune that I ever started in a WTF school. Coulda been any one. So I agree, there isn't any room in my life for the "mine is better than yours" bs so I pretty much ignore it.

Good thread by the way. :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
What I don't like in our school is that we don't have a set curriculum just whim of the day and if you go enough days, you might get some sparring, form etc. in within a week. I don't see the benefit out of doing 5000 front kicks when there is no practice leading up to it and it results in torn down hamstrings. I don't like favoritism and watered down requirements. I don't like disorganization nor unclean floors. Yes, I am the only one who cleans them occasionally. I don't like being preached Christian in TKD class, when the self appointed preacher-teacher has a very narrow viewpoint. I don't like that the black belts cannot communicate with each other nor have meetings with "input". I don't like that it is a given that BB's give service, ie teaching on the spot when the master instructor does not show up, without a call or a thank you. That goes along with dictatorships and it does not promote new ideas, initiative, nor change, nor motivation to be part of the organization/school.

Is it the instructor who's preachin'?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Is it the instructor who's preachin'?

Yes, 6th dan. He professes plainly to all that his first priority is to proselytize and preach, second priority his school. He's was a Muslim years ago and became a very zealous Christian about ten or so years ago. So we get preached at in the guise of questions. Favoritism, especially when I was passed over as a 2nd dan in favor of a red dan relative then told it was because I wasn't Christian enough. No, I fought, getting sabotaged, to get my class and right now having to run my own ad otherwise it will get cancelled. He only supports the other woman. TW

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
It's a shame that your experience was such because I'd have to agree with many others above that I can't even imagine my life without my TKD. I wish I could have shared that experience with you. Shame.
Well, despite my experience with some bad instructors, I've seen and experienced enough 'good' TKD (subjective license there) to know TKD's potential, and like you and some others have said, I also can't imagine life without TKD. I've had some issues here and there physically that have made me think things over, but in the end I can't not do this. Drives my wife crazy sometimes, but as the saying goes..."Once it's in your blood..."

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorite part of TKD is what it has done for me as a person, in terms of self-confidence, providing a focus for my life, giving me the opportunity to find out I could learn a difficult physical skill (something I'd never done before) - I learned all of these things over the years I've been in TKD. I enjoy learning more about and practicing all aspects of the art... although I will admit that there are some parts I like better than others. I particularly enjoy patterns (tuls - the ITF/Chang H'on/Blue Cottage/Chon-ji set - whichever name you call them); sparring scared me silly for years, and so did breaking. But there's not a part of it that I haven't improved beyond the point I thought I could when I started - and that's my favorite part.