part time work

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Over the next few months I'll be needing to pick up some part time work... anyone have any ideas?

I've seen a few things online, but hard to tell which is legit. Seems if one person has a problem with an organization, they go out and bad mouth it online. Hard to determine the gems...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about teaching? The local community college will have all sorts of openings for adjuncts, for example, and the local schools will need substitute teachers.

Most work-at-home stuff is...highly suspect.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about teaching? The local community college will have all sorts of openings for adjuncts, for example, and the local schools will need substitute teachers.

Most work-at-home stuff is...highly suspect.
I'm contemplating that. Most community colleges do not offer my degree, though I imagine they might be able to find something kind of close... I am exceptionally soft spoken (drives some people crazy), so I'm not sure how well my voice might carry... I have been looking at the county school, but so far no openings in fields I could easily teach.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you'll be surprised by how many things are taught at the C.C. that you might be able to teach. Then there are local propietary schools teaching business, medical assisting, computer skills, etc.; tutoring centers; online universities like the University of Phoenix; etc. Many will be flexible in their requirements to get the bodies they need to teach (depending on the local area and the teaching area).

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Become a professional tutor. Print up some fliers and some cheap business cards. Go to the local schools and meet with the teachers and let them know that you are available.

If you are good and sure of yourself, you can challenge them to give you their most challenging student (free of charge) for three weeks or whatever, and show them what you can do as you teach the child what they can do.

You can come up with some kind of bounty that rewards the teacher or anyone for giving your contact information to prospective students.

Good luck
Regards
Brian King

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even if you don't want to teach, or there aren't openings, contact your local colleges and universities. There are often jobs posted for college students (who have notoriously odd hours due to their class schedules) that go unfilled.

Also, if there are any trade schools in your area (such as this one in Denver) they are usually looking for instructors in all sorts of areas, and their classes are often at odd times, to accommodate both the instructors and the students.

Is there anything you particularly want to do, or to avoid (other than fly-by-night deals, I mean)?

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there anything you particularly want to do, or to avoid (other than fly-by-night deals, I mean)?
I'd contemplate teaching, though I'm fairly poor with large crowds. Tutoring might be more up my ally.

Ideally, I'd love to find some part time computer programming work. Every site I've seen that caters to that crowd has some form of pay service. In order to apply to these jobs, you pay a fee. I'm a bit ticked at that...

Most of the free sites (monster, careerbuilder, etc) cater to full time work, and its been a bit hard to find part time gigs...

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Perhaps tutor in that specialty Computer programming. I am thinking that I am a little intimidated by these computer thingies and I imagine that I am not alone. Perhaps focus on adult tutoring in that field. Perhaps a retirement home might hire you to run a six or eight week course teaching some of the residents how to set up their own web pages so that they can share with their families and friends and each other. Perhaps that fire station up the street has one of their guys doing their IT work cause he is geekish but he might need some help, they may even want you to write a program or two for their in house box, perhaps helping out some of the local martial arts schools in your area. Real estate people often need computer help as does that little espresso stand on the corner.

Do a good job for someone and then offer a bounty if they can send other work your direction. Word of mouth and an eagerness to do good work (give them more and be worth your hire) goes a long way.

Good luck
Regards
Brian King

Latest Discussions