Could learning online work if..

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm traveling a lot currently for work, and will be for another 2-3 months, will be stationary for 3-6 months then off again. And it is very hard to get a stable routine for practice.

I stumbled across this and got me thinking.

Sifu Wahnish has put together some online training for basic principles. And has interaction worked in interaction for assessment etc.

http://www.wingchunonline.com/

I totally, understand that online is not the way to go, but when I am stable in a country I will be using the closest WC option available. I've already researched places where I am for more than a month and can train.

My area of advice I'm looking for is if it seems feasible that I could use this online method while traveling to compliment what I learn on the ground when my living becomes more established? I have a number of idle hours at night and just need something to keep me occupied and hopefully learn something new and in the direction I've been looking which is WC.

Their claim an effective interactive option, so I thought I'd ask if it's worth a go just to get some basic learning. Even just for a month to trial it...

Thanks,

Jez

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Wing Chun, so this may not apply.

Not training at all for several months is bad. You will regress, and forget things. I also know that it is difficult to sit in a hotel room, and remind myself to train, or what to train. I'd say that trying to use an online source to learn new techniques is probably a bad idea, but using an online source to give you a training routine sounds like a great idea.

Let us know how it works out.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was looking for a similar option when I started training as well, but I didn't find any good options. I was able to learn a lot about the art, and get a very good understanding of it, but there's still a lot you miss if you don't have experienced people and teachers to work with in person. However, there are a few points I'd like to make. I do believe that there are some things you can learn and practice on your own. Before I even went to my first class, I'd done a lot of research and checked out a lot of learning material from different lineages. I didn't do too much training on my own for fear of forming bad habits, but the little that I had practiced (stance, structure, punching) I found that I had actually practiced correctly.

Sensitivity and Chisau are a bit of a different animal, and you need an experienced training partner and/or teacher to learn those aspects of the system. But form and structure may be something you can start practicing on your own, especially if you are able to get corrections from a teacher at the beginning -- even if only for a few months.

I'm not sure that I would recommend many online courses, but I was somewhat impressed by an interview with Sifu Chuck from "Learn Wing Chun Online." You can listen to what he has to say here: http://wingchungeeks.com/sifuchuck/ It's important to realize though, that he considers his videos as something of a reference, or a starting place for students - you still need to make it out to class at some point.

If you can build a basic foundation in Wing Chun, I believe you may be able to travel and practice / attend different schools as you do. But in the beginning, it may be very difficult and confusing, because the quality and variety of systems in Wing Chun varies greatly. If nothing else, though, it may give you a great perspective on what's out there.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm traveling a lot currently for work, and will be for another 2-3 months, will be stationary for 3-6 months then off again. And it is very hard to get a stable routine for practice.

Sifu Wahnish has put together some online training for basic principles. And has interaction worked in interaction for assessment etc.

I totally, understand that online is not the way to go, but when I am stable in a country I will be using the closest WC option available. I've already researched places where I am for more than a month and can train.

My area of advice I'm looking for is if it seems feasible that I could use this online method while traveling to compliment what I learn on the ground when my living becomes more established? I have a number of idle hours at night and just need something to keep me occupied and hopefully learn something new and in the direction I've been looking which is WC.

Their claim an effective interactive option, so I thought I'd ask if it's worth a go just to get some basic learning. Even just for a month to trial it...

Thanks,

Jez

Sifu Wahnish is actually a good teacher and he has a kwoon in NY. I've actually came across the same site, signed up and began testing out the program. He is authentically involved in the online school and wants to know and invites all students to his school in ny to meet and touch hands with him. In college I attended a kwoon but was unable to continue so I had to quit. Was a little skeptical of how wing chun could be taught online but as I've witnessed it can be. BUT, you certainly need a partner to progress in the program. Sifu Wahnish has and is continuing to set up ways his students can find training partners to practice. But aside from partnering, the instruction is great and is really well done. That part of it, to me, is better than being in a class. I can replay the lesson at will and all lessons are shown from multiple angels and not merely "ran-though" but time is taking to ensure you get it the lesson.

So in the beginning, like you I was skeptical as I thought how can you learn wing chun online without a partner to practice the principles. Well, put simply a partner is needed even online. So if you so sign up, work with sifu wahnish to find a good training partner or sign up with a friend, family member ect. He also tells you at which point in the program you will need a partner. In the very beginning he focuses on the basics such as footwork, filling space, staying in the center line, angle of deflection with hand positions ect.

He is also very approachable and has a private members area forum where all students and sifu wahnish get together an interact. He will also personally critique to see how you are progressing. Honestly, I don't know how he does it. It seems daunting to have students all over and make the program truly interactive be he does make time in his life besides his job and family life and physical school to bring the program online. I've actually spoke with him over the phone many times so I've had the opportunity to gauge him personally. To program is legit, you will learn alot. If you cannot attend his physical school from time to time, he stresses that you find or have a good partner to work with you.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might just give it a go for a while, obviously my biggest concern is developing bad habits, but I might also drop in on various schools if they are near where I am working and get some physical guidance as well.

The online format they are talking about goes beyond what I've seen before, so has me curious.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I might just give it a go for a while, obviously my biggest concern is developing bad habits, but I might also drop in on various schools if they are near where I am working and get some physical guidance as well.

I've done this and it has been a fantastic experience! If you can, drop in to visit schools whenever you are on the road. You can meet many folks from MT that way, which is awesome. Or even if you can't make a connection through MT or through your school, call the school before you arrive (evenings are the best time to reach a live person) and just say you're in the area on business and would like to check out a class.

Most of the folks I have met have been very open and welcoming, and all have refused any payment for my visit even when I was extending a hand with money in it. Chances are they will enjoy making a new friend just as much as you will :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Online training without correction (ie. working with a live instructor) is a great way to ingrain bad habits. :( Using it as reference for material you already know. Well now that is good! :)

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone used Coaches Eye before? Wonder if if would be useful for MA.

via Nexus 7 w/Tapatalk - please ignore predictive text spelling errors

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
In response to the original post, it depends what you want exactly, in my opinion. If your goals are realistic for what you want to use to reach them, then do it. If not, youre better off going it independently. Take a step back and look at it that way.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In response to the original post, it depends what you want exactly, in my opinion. If your goals are realistic for what you want to use to reach them, then do it. If not, youre better off going it independently. Take a step back and look at it that way.

I feel like I'm wasting months when I can't train consistently. I have about 3-4 spare hours a few days a week spare, generally late at night.

I'm hoping to learn and focus on basics in preparation until I'm stable again and can attend a kwoon on regular basis.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel like I'm wasting months when I can't train consistently. I have about 3-4 spare hours a few days a week spare, generally late at night.

I'm hoping to learn and focus on basics in preparation until I'm stable again and can attend a kwoon on regular basis.

Mmartial arts schools are typically built around folks with a 9-to-5 schedule.

The irony? Most of the folks that need the skills the most -- the folks who use them for their profession -- are folks who do not work 9-to-5. Law Enforcement, bouncers, military, etc...none of these folks typically work "normal" business hours.

Do you know anyone who is willing to do some training with you during off hours? I used to work 2nd shift, towards the end of my time at that job I had a ragtag group that trained with me, usually outside, at Midnight or 1am. We had an EMT, a LEO, a pizza shop owner, a nurse, a stay-at-home dad and a couple others. We all had different backgrounds which made it even more of a mess. But, getting together and doing drills with someone is IMO better than just staying at home, especially when you have different folks to bang on and different eyes to watch what you're doing.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Anyone used Coaches Eye before? Wonder if if would be useful for MA.

Only if you have a coach who can tell you what you are screwing up. My coach uses it for my lifting technique, but with my limited experience I wouldn't get much out of trying to have someone film me and then trying to self correct.

IYWC

White Belt
Reaction score

Hey Jez,

What if you had a place which acts more as a resource rather than 'We can teach you wing chun online' Because we all know you need some live training so in your situation i guess it would be perfect for you to have a site where it provides resources and guides for the training that you are already doing in the live classes plus basic drills that you can train by yourself. So an online resource almost acting like a coach to improve or correct what you are learning in live classes.... there is not any resource like this at present but I'm thinking to create one, whats your thoughts? Would that benefit you and be something of interest? (these questions go to anyone reading this that practices wing chun btw)

Cheers,
Jamie B

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Jez,

What if you had a place which acts more as a resource rather than 'We can teach you wing chun online' Because we all know you need some live training so in your situation i guess it would be perfect for you to have a site where it provides resources and guides for the training that you are already doing in the live classes plus basic drills that you can train by yourself. So an online resource almost acting like a coach to improve or correct what you are learning in live classes.... there is not any resource like this at present but I'm thinking to create one, whats your thoughts? Would that benefit you and be something of interest? (these questions go to anyone reading this that practices wing chun btw)

Cheers,
Jamie B

That's actually what I'm targeting with that site, I want it to supplement along with physical training. I think I wrote it up in the wrong way, but your right, that's what I'm looking for.

From what I've read of the Online site, that's what they do. And I think that is what your looking to work on as well. But I think the online component will have a stigma along with it as well, and is not a trusted source, especially for something that is rather physical. What caught my attention for the Wing Chun Online format was the interaction, and has me curious to how it work.

Next thing would be using an xBox Kinect and virtual chi sao, some what geeky.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really believe people have a misconception from what WCO really is. You receive weekly lessons from Sifu Wahnish. The lessons are filmed in multiple angles and in slow motion. You SHOULD have a partner to work with who is wing chun proficient to help you train. Sifu Wahnish invites you to his ny school to attend a physical class. He is in the process of implementing level testing. In level testing there are NO belts of course. Level testing will only gauge your progression and your handle on wing chun material. Sifu Wahnish is hoping to travel to central locations where his online students may come, touch hands with him, each other, get tested as well as practice and fellowship. I am not to where I will be involved chi sao so I cannot tell you where/how that is learning from a online school. But I have multiple partners who has experience in Wing Chun and I am able to visit Sifu Wahnish throughout the year to correct anything I am doing wrong. If you are unable to see Sifu Wahnish, he will critique you from either video or live video. Sifu Wahnish is also in the process of setting up capabilities to hold live online classes the same times as his physical school classes.

Wingchunonline is much deeper than just merely a resource center. I've looked at other online schools and none really compares to this. As a software engineer myself, it is impressive how he using the technology of today to solve distance issues and bring a wing chun education to those who would be otherwise unable to obtain it.

**In the first few weeks of training, there is no need of a partner as you only learning wing chun academic principles, stances, footwork, chain punching without footwork, the sil lum tao form, gate theory, and other basics. Partnering comes in at the end of level one and continues.***

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak about Wing Chun Online. But a good friend of mine has been using AWCA Online and loves it! He was showing me some of the drills he and his boys have been doing through there and it's pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.awcaonline.com/dlp/

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Seems like an interesting program. Does his Sifu makes it appoint to partner with another who is proficient in wing chun? As others have stated, you cannot learn sensitivity training without touching hands with someone. Even in my program, I can learn the techniques and be awesome at performing it in the air, but it is best when performing against another.

Last edited:

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score

The online format they are talking about goes beyond what I've seen before, so has me curious.

If you would like samples of Sifu Wahnish's instruction, he has videos posted of different classes he teaches on his facebook page. The name is the same wingchunonline. You can check it out and see if his training would be a fit for you.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The voice of dissent here, as always. I will never endorse online/video instruction as the primary or only method of training. I believe it is fine as a supplement to direct and regular and frequent face-to-face instruction with a good instructor, and then only if the material used is directly connected to the same instructor. For example, if one's instructor created some videos to use as a reminder for students who are already working directly with him.

If you've learned some things directly from an instructor and then are travelling or relocating and not able to find another instructor, I believe you are much better off just practicing what you've already learned. I do not endorse visiting local schools who are not connected to your instructor, even in the same system, unless you are ready and willing to put aside what you've already learned and wholly embrace what you are learning from the new teacher.

Here's the thing: consistency is very important. Different schools of the same system often will do things differently, even if those differences are subtle and seem to be very slight. Often those minor and slight differences can make a huge huge difference in results. Or, those slight differences can simply create conflict in how things are done. You gotta keep a consistent methodology or your training becomes sort of scizophrenic.

Case in point: we've recently had a visitor who trained under the same teacher that my sifu trained under, altho during a later era than my teacher. This visitor would comment on what we were doing and sometimes demonstrate to illustrate his point. I could see very clearly that some very fundamental details of how he did his stuff, right down to the very basics, is different from how we do it. If I began adjusting what I was doing to be consistent with this visitor, it would completely disrupt the methodology that I've been taught by my sifu. It would be confusing and very problematic.

I know a lot of people feel that training with a variety of teachers is a great thing. It CAN be, but it can also cause problems. You need to understand what those potential problems are, and who might be a good choice of someone to train with vs. someone who would not be good for you to train with. Training with other teachers can sort of give you exposure to someone else's vision of your system and that can be a good thing. But if you try to adopt everything that different teachers show you, you will end up with a lot of material that is inconsistent and problematic and it ends up kinda like a frankenstein's monster instead of a smooth and consistent methodology.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but that's my position on it. More isn't always better. Sometimes sticking with what little you've got and being really focused on it is much better.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might try this for s couple of months then and drop into the NY location when I'm working there.