part time programs

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello all, I'd like to present you with my most recent inquiry.
In a year or two I'll be moving out to LA to finish school, and when I'm there I would like to start my own part time program. Who here has taught or teaches a part time program through something like a community center or a gym? If you have, how did you get the position? How were you paid? Any, and all information you have on the matter, I would greatly appreciate.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello all, I'd like to present you with my most recent inquiry.
In a year or two I'll be moving out to LA to finish school, and when I'm there I would like to start my own part time program. Who here has taught or teaches a part time program through something like a community center or a gym? If you have, how did you get the position? How were you paid? Any, and all information you have on the matter, I would greatly appreciate.

I taught in my city's community center a few years ago in suburban LA. My situation was unusual. I worked for there for awhile & when they found out I was a TKD BB they asked me if I'd teach. I was not actually paid to teach class. It was just part of my regular work day. Other folks who taught other classes (dance, violin, etc.) were either volunteers or were contract employees who got paid $15.00 per class (at the time).

I now run the program out of the church I attend. The tuition from the students is paid to the church. I'm a 1099 employee of the church. I have a business selling the gear (dobok, sparring gear, etc). I'm not getting rich, by any means. We don't have a regular space in the church for class (due to their needs) so, I have to be flexible. I have limited storage space (4' long x 2' wide x 6' high) in a shed for a my equipment for class.

It may not sound ideal, but I get to teach the Art I love to 16 eager students two days a week. I love it!

Be aware of this type of response when speaking to community centers. When I was 1st approached by the community center about teaching, my boss was "shocked" that I was a "karate person." She proceeded to tell me of "many many" people who'd approached them about teaching who, after teaching for awhile, cheated students, flaked on the center (stopped showing up) were unreliable in other ways, untrustworthy, or who even hurt students! Community centers are wary of of us MA folks (because they've been burned before). They won't just welcome you with open arms. A background check, & solid (local) references are MINIMUM things that they'd ask for. The biggest question they're thinking "why should I trust you (an outsider off the street) with the kids in my program?"

I truly wish you all the best as you pursue this option.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
not me personally, but several of our schools in the area run their programs out of a civic center. It is their program (it probably helps to be affiliated with an organization to help cover your liability) but it's 2 or 3 times a week for a couple of hours, much cheaper than renting a whole place.

Around here they would love you to teach but not for pay, and they usually have somebody's brother's cousin's exwife's parent who needs a position...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also bought my own insurance for the program when I moved to the church. I'm covering under the churches policy, but I wanted to myself covered "just in case." I'd highly recommend this!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are couple of ways things like that work.

One of the easiest, if you're attending school, might be to simply start a club at the college. That way, you get the college's facilities, and no money involved...

If you want to go the community center route, there are two general ways. Some people simply rent the space, like any other event would. They provide their own insurance, may or may not get storage space... (This is what I do, incidentally. The class dues generally cover the rent if we have several students.) Others teach as a part of the community center's programs, and the process for that depends on the facility. Some may require a lot of work (submitting a curriculum, a contract, some verification of credentials and background checks, etc.) and others may ask almost nothing... This setup probably pays the instructor some amount, either a flat fee or based on enrollment -- and may be canceled if they don't have enough people sign up.

Working with a gym or even another martial arts school is a third possibility. This might resemble working with a community center -- but you'll have to work around their scheduling. Or it could be something completely different...

One thing, though... Make sure you keep your priorities in order. You're going there to go to school, not teach martial arts. You might want to wait at least one semester to figure out what your actual capability to balance both is...

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach at 2 park districts. Took over one from my instructor in 1988 and the other I started in 1994. The second i simply found thy did not have a program and solicited them. It helps that our national org has professionaly done "Requirement books" it makes a great presentation if they ask about curriculum.

I am treated a sa tenant / independant contractor. They collect all program fees and pay me a percentage. I collect test, fees directly. I have to pay all my own expenses such as insurance. Most referrals come from the park district program flyer sent to all district residences 4 times a year. This is great because there is no addittional advertiaing cost although I have tried numerous advertisements without success.

Good news is that you can price programs affordably and there is little fixed . Bad news is your class tiems have limited availability.

Both locations allow me to store bags and shileds in a locked closet but are not responsible for any loss or damage.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback so far. I've been teaching at a community center now for almost two years, but it is not my own program - I teach for my master. I know they pay him a majority percentage of the enrollment, and that is basically the kind of position I will be hoping for after I move. I've been in college for a little while now and learned how to manage my time well. Thanks again.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I ran a program out of a Y a long long time ago. It was an extension program/feeder for the main dojang. I think they paid me part of the activity fee each month.