5/3/1 for Taekwondo athletes.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The aim was simple. Not just maximize strength or push the most weight I could, but maximize my strength to weight ratio. At age 30, 5'8" tall I weighed 165lbs and my personal best free weight bench press was 325lbs. I could do 10 reps of 250lbs. If I gained weight I am pretty sure I could have benched more.
Sadly, now at ager 56 I need to try and eat less, and work harder. I now weigh 175lbs, probably shrunk a little and my 10 reps is at 225lbs.
Never looked to get bigger, only stronger. Is this what you call "Power"?
Endurance training was based on Cardio. USed to be running, but Doc sasy not a good idea anymore, so now it's the Bike.

Having only been researching it for 40 years I guess I am not well versed. One thing I have learned (You may disagree) there are lots of plans and programs out there. People are also different and different people may respond differently to different plans.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One thing I have learned (You may disagree) there are lots of plans and programs out there. People are also different and different people may respond differently to different plans.
I agree, the number one thing I tell people is: track your progress, then do what works and change what doesn't. The only reason I am trying to offer advice is because I think you could have even better gains than the numbers you have been giving, but I may be missing something as we haven't done a full evaluation :).

Never looked to get bigger, only stronger. Is this what you call "Power"?
For someone who has been researching it for 40 years, I'm surprised you don't know what I mean when I say power. I am referring to the ability of the body to generate large force in a short space of time, i.e fast strength, closely related to explosiveness.

Endurance training was based on Cardio. USed to be running, but Doc sasy not a good idea anymore, so now it's the Bike.
Sorry, by endurance I was talking about strength endurance, not specific or general cardiovascular endurance.

The aim was simple. Not just maximize strength or push the most weight I could, but maximize my strength to weight ratio. At age 30, 5'8" tall I weighed 165lbs and my personal best free weight bench press was 325lbs. I could do 10 reps of 250lbs. If I gained weight I am pretty sure I could have benched more.
Sadly, now at ager 56 I need to try and eat less, and work harder. I now weigh 175lbs, probably shrunk a little and my 10 reps is at 225lbs.
Without any further details, I would have recommended a rep range of about 2-6, 3 sets, 3-5 min rests and a 30x tempo, with a weight you end up pushing it like it's going to move quickly, but it will only move slowly.
As you've probably encountered in your research, this type of training is the type generally recommended for your goal. With the more limited time under tension, your body will lean away from physiological change that results in muscle mass gain and will instead promote to a greater extent a neuromuscular change that increases maximum force output. After this style of training for a while, the neuromuscular changes will diminish and instead another sort of physiological change will become more prevalent, but this change isn't so much more muscle, as it is the change in the composition of the muscle cell itself, again geared towards the ability to generate force over a period of time.
Sounds like your cup of tea to me.

Have you tried this particular protocol for training? How did it go progress wise?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

For someone who has been researching it for 40 years, I'm surprised you don't know what I mean when I say power. I am referring to the ability of the body to generate large force in a short space of time, i.e fast strength, closely related to explosiveness.

As you've probably encountered in your research, this type of training is the type generally recommended for your goal. With the more limited time under tension, your body will lean away from physiological change that results in muscle mass gain and will instead promote to a greater extent a neuromuscular change that increases maximum force output. After this style of training for a while, the neuromuscular changes will diminish and instead another sort of physiological change will become more prevalent, but this change isn't so much more muscle, as it is the change in the composition of the muscle cell itself, again geared towards the ability to generate force over a period of time.

Have you tried this particular protocol for training? How did it go progress wise?

Because what you mean by "power" is not what someone else may mean by "power".

The quickness / explosiveness you refer to is something I have trained thru the use of Plyometric exercises which I learned of in the 1980's. Lost the first book I had on it . It was intersting because of how crudely it was written. It was out of Eastern Europe. As a type of exercise that targets the fast twitch muscle fibers it is geared toward quickness.

I have done these more for Kicking in the past. They are now a bad idea for me. I still very leg press and leg extension reps with some geared toward quick motions rather than max weight / reps. Trying to target the fast reps without the impact which is not easy to do.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IO think we are very much on the same page but not sure. When I talk about going to failure I mean that your plan should be X reps not whatever, and the X rep should be the last one you can do not X plus 1,2, etc.

Also Since my free weight set has 1.25lb plates I guess I used what you call micro loading. If I could do 10 reps, the next workout I would add 2.5lbs. Used that weight until I could do 10 reps then added the same. Once I hit a certain level my increases stopped. Tried to also not gain weight.

Using a plan like this if you increase once a month the yearly gain is significant.

Just about exactly what I'm talking about, except I progress every workout until it becomes impossible.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Because what you mean by "power" is not what someone else may mean by "power".

It is a pretty standardized definition, at least in most weight lifting and performance training circles.

The quickness / explosiveness you refer to is something I have trained thru the use of Plyometric exercises which I learned of in the 1980's. Lost the first book I had on it . It was intersting because of how crudely it was written. It was out of Eastern Europe. As a type of exercise that targets the fast twitch muscle fibers it is geared toward quickness.

I mentioned plyo as a similar concept to power, but power doesn't rely on the elastic energy of a motion and is geared towards heavier weights, so rather than just the quick and forceful movement, it is closer to speed strength.

I have done these more for Kicking in the past. They are now a bad idea for me. I still very leg press and leg extension reps with some geared toward quick motions rather than max weight / reps. Trying to target the fast reps without the impact which is not easy to do.

There are a bunch of good plyometric exercises that have little to no impact on your joints (as a receiving action anyway), while these are more common for upper body plyo, I can think of a few off the top of my head for the lower body.

Latest Discussions