A good, but hard change for me

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got great news for my family! I start a new full time job as the director of a Veteran's employment program. I'm really excited about it! Unfortunatley, I won't be able to teach my TKD program that currently starts at 4:00 pm. The community center is unable to change their schedule to allow me to teach later in the evening at this time. Perhaps they may be able to open a spot in February. I'm talking to a few other places in town about running my program there. The wheels of progress turn slowly. It may be a while before that happens.

I love teaching TKD (as you all know) & I'm really torn about this whole thing. I hope the time off won't last. I'm not sad leaving the Center position, not teaching my students will be very hard. I'm having a rough day.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new job!

That's really rough about your TKD class... have you tried local schools? 4:00 is a time most schools would have available. Good luck finding a new time or location.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new job. Sorry to hear about your TKD program, but there are sure to be lots of places that might host you. Your position with the Veterans' administration probably means you'll learn about lots of places with an appropriate space for you to use.

Also, is your garage big enough to mat out and just teach there?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That's really rough about your TKD class... have you tried local schools? 4:00 is a time most schools would have available. Good luck finding a new time or location.

The issue is that I can no longer teach a 4 pm class due to my new schedule. The Center doesn't have the room available later in the day for us. I'm loyal to my instructor, so I wouldn't go elsewhere. Honestly, there's not even an instructor in town that I'd reccommend for my students. I'll have to wait & see what happens.

Thanks for the encouragement!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new job. Sorry to hear about your TKD program, but there are sure to be lots of places that might host you. Your position with the Veterans' administration probably means you'll learn about lots of places with an appropriate space for you to use.

Also, is your garage big enough to mat out and just teach there?

Sadly, my garage isn't big enough. Also, the job is about 20 miles away from my home. My students are quite nearby my house.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got great news for my family! I start a new full time job as the director of a Veteran's employment program. I'm really excited about it! Unfortunatley, I won't be able to teach my TKD program that currently starts at 4:00 pm. The community center is unable to change their schedule to allow me to teach later in the evening at this time. Perhaps they may be able to open a spot in February. I'm talking to a few other places in town about running my program there. The wheels of progress turn slowly. It may be a while before that happens.

I love teaching TKD (as you all know) & I'm really torn about this whole thing. I hope the time off won't last. I'm not sad leaving the Center position, not teaching my students will be very hard. I'm having a rough day.

Congratulations!!!! Don't worry..things will work out with TKD. It may mean a little down time, but you will find a new spot and in the long run it will good all around. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on the job. Iceman I'm sure you could run the program in the park if need be for the time being or even lease out a gym at the local school for about two houndred dollars a month. Donate that back to the school and use there cafeteria. Hang in there it will come I'm sure.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congrats on your new job! Are you limited to placing people in just the LA area?

Can't you still be loyal to your instructor while teaching at another location, like a Rec Center, Y, or local school? Maybe even outdoors at a park or something? Just throwing some stuff out there. Probably nothing you haven't already thought of.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on your new job! Are you limited to placing people in just the LA area?

Can't you still be loyal to your instructor while teaching at another location, like a Rec Center, Y, or local school? Maybe even outdoors at a park or something? Just throwing some stuff out there. Probably nothing you haven't already thought of.

I took Kacey's post to mean "go teach at a local MA school." Perhaps she meant renting space in a public school.

PM me about your situation & I'll see if I can help with the other item.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took Kacey's post to mean "go teach at a local MA school." Perhaps she meant renting space in a public school.

PM me about your situation & I'll see if I can help with the other item.

I meant renting space in a local public school - elementary, middle, or high school - not in another MA school. Sorry if that wasn't clear. That's why I said 4:00 pm would be a good time - most schools let students out between 2:00 and 4:00 - although they also have time available in the evenings, and they're usually pretty cheap to rent. I suggested a school because I thought you were trying to keep the class at the same time.

You could also try rec centers and YMCAs. I know some people have had bad experiences in Y's - but my experience has been good, overall.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I meant renting space in a local public school - elementary, middle, or high school - not in another MA school. Sorry if that wasn't clear. That's why I said 4:00 pm would be a good time - most schools let students out between 2:00 and 4:00 - although they also have time available in the evenings, and they're usually pretty cheap to rent. I suggested a school because I thought you were trying to keep the class at the same time.

You could also try rec centers and YMCAs. I know some people have had bad experiences in Y's - but my experience has been good, overall.

Ok, I see what you mean. I'm in a rec center, now. (It's also been my job). I'm not opposed to a "Y". To not sound cliche but, "some of my best friends have trained at the 'Y". I've got a few places I'm talking to now. I wouldn't be able to teach until 6:00pm. I'm keeping options open. Thanks for your input on this!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All to often we must make sacrafices in order to take better care of ourselves and famlies..Congrats on the new job...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman another ideal is talking to some hotels like the Holiday inn or Ramada the older ones have big meeting rooms that never ever get use much anymore and they are giving great deals renting them out for a few hours a day and maybe even on a monthly basis. My friend rents out the best western for the month three times a week for three hours a night and only paye 500.00 a month not bad no utilities and such pretty good deal for him. Hope that helps out.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your quandry. As an ex serviceman (albiet British, and you guys seem to take better care of your vets) I think you are starting a very noble job and my best wishes go with you.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the new position! I'm sorry to hear that you aren't able to continue to teach at the moment... I hope something opens up for you!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on the Job, Iceman!! I'm sure that something will come up...

How about a public park outdoors? Obviously that would be weather dependent, but its free and usually easy to find space...

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have an idea that I just emailed the "powers that be" at the Center regarding space for my class at a later time in the day.

The City has a building at a City owned park nearby. That is where the karate program met before they built the new Center 2 years ago. I see no reason why it couldn't be an "off site" program room again.

I'll update you as I hear things.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have an idea that I just emailed the "powers that be" at the Center regarding space for my class at a later time in the day.

The City has a building at a City owned park nearby. That is where the karate program met before they built the new Center 2 years ago. I see no reason why it couldn't be an "off site" program room again.

Do not feel like you are out there alone. Talk to your students. You would be suprised what they, their relatives, or friends may come up with.

Remember you are a family, (not superman with the campe) and this affects the family as much as you!

Congratulations and good luck.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Well, I just got a quick, "no" on this idea from "the powers that be." Apparently, the Center really isn't interested in my program. I guess I'll take my program & my students elsewhere.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
icon14.gif
I am however sorry about
your program and yet I am sure that you will find the right venue
to continue teaching. Good luck!

Latest Discussions