Otherkin?

What you meant to say was "God aren't WE lame." Where we is boht you and I. ;)

I played lots of games since the 70's and ran lots of home campaigns so I could tailer the stories to "our" liking.

I have followed Shadowrun form the beginner and I know it was very much influenced by Cyber Punk. I just could not get into Cyber Punk as it seemed to be very dark and street level. Where as Shadowrun allowed for more variations, and yes it has gone on some wild swings were SRIII was msotly Corporate and world chaning events to SRIV that is back to the local street level, and less sphere of influence. While both can be fun, I enjoy having options, so SRII would be my favorite of those offered.

Then there ware the good old days of Cthulhu and trying to survive and Paranoia and also Trying to Survive. The Palladium games that were percentile based were a nice option as well.

Ah the good old days when I had more "Free" time to read and play with friends who had more "Free" time. :)
I have played my share of Shadow Run... Chummer.
Sean

All I know is that I rue the day that vampires became superheroes for fashion-impaired teenagers. Ruined one of the scariest monsters of all time, they did.

Curse you, Ann Rice.
I'm still plugging through them. The Characters are getting gayer and gayer. She started out avoiding sex, but now, all bets are off.
Sean

ok, we're going in 2 directions it seems. 1 part is a serious discussion of the idea of souls of animals reborn as humans, the other is a serious and not so serious discussion of gaming and fantasy writing....or am I misreading some things? (possible, that whole being half deaf in my third eye y'know). ;)

ok, we're going in 2 directions it seems. 1 part is a serious discussion of the idea of souls of animals reborn as humans, the other is a serious and not so serious discussion of gaming and fantasy writing....or am I misreading some things? (possible, that whole being half deaf in my third eye y'know). ;)

That is accurate and one is not derived directly out of the other. How ever you will find that the vast majority of self proclaimed Unkin (I've never met anyone that was other proclaimed Unkin) are into that scene or have friends that are.

So you typically don't see the corporate executive checking out the unkin message boards. You do typically see the angsty socially downtrodden individual looking at those sites tho.

I'm not saying that underkin are angsty socially downtrodden individuals. Just that at one point they have all met one and those guys typically play role playing games :)

There are competing ideas... For a while it was the Ancients and having an old sole and so forth. Sadly while most of my friends were and probably still think they are "ancients" they never thought I was.

Something about giggling when they mentioned it I'd wager.

--Will

THow ever you will find that the vast majority of self proclaimed Unkin (I've never met anyone that was other proclaimed Unkin) are into that scene or have friends that are.

I don't know...

I think over the years a few folks have wondered just where I came from...

But, then, it's been no secret for some time that I'm a little strange.

I don't know...

You are only strange if you are poor, if you're rich you are 'eccentric'!

You are only strange if you are poor, if you're rich you are 'eccentric'!

How true.

This is indeed an interesting topic, and completely new to me. I have never heard of Otherkins, or Unkins, or anything of the sort.

How does one come to realize the classification of their soul?

That must make me wierder than hell!
I dunno... how weird is hell? :)

Like Jade Tigress, I've never heard of this before, although I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy - I find this topic very interesting, and would like to know how people identify the classification of their soul.

I am actually a giant amphibian. When I was just a tadpole the goblins stole the real tellner and left me in his place, enchanted into the form of a human child. As time goes on the enchantment is wearing off. Yesterday the cat was walking by, and I accidentally snapped it up. My wife has threatened to stop spritzing me on hot days if I do that again.

*ribbit*
*ribbit*
*ribbit*

ATTENTION ALL USERS

Mod Note

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Pamela Piszczek
MT Sr. Moderator

How true.

This is indeed an interesting topic, and completely new to me. I have never heard of Otherkins, or Unkins, or anything of the sort.

First off, I'd just like to say that I've never heard of "Unkins" either....

Anyways, with me, it started out as simply an obsession with dragons (Nothing special really, I just thought they looked freakin' awesome at the time), which in time eventually grew into an affinity with the archetypal dragon. Basically, I began to relate myself to, what was to me, the 'perfect image' of a dragon; a mix of western dragon's courage and honor and eastern dragon's wisdom and serenity. Of course, there was a huge time between when I simply believed I was a dragon reborn in human form, but with a lack of "phantom limbs" and "past-life visions", I really began to doubt I was a 'dragon' at all, and with dragons not existing physically per se as far as we know, you might say I....simply lost faith.

Up until about...10 months ago, that is, then the whole "I am a dragon in mind" thing kicked in, then here I am today.

Interesting... I've always been fascinated with mythical beasties... Hmm... I'll have to think about it some more.

Just to clarify, I have myself related Otherkin to neo-paganism, and Otherkin is compatible with Scientology, but it's not the same.

Also, I myself am Otherkin, so if you've any questions, feel free to ask.

I agree this is an interesting topic.

I have heard the term Otherkin somewhere a while ago but I have no idea where nor do I have any memory of ever knowing what it is. But I did just go look it up and I do mean JUST.

http://www.answers.com/otherkin

This appears to be associated with, at least in part. With some mythological beings as well Fea and Elnari. Things such as Vampires, Therianthrope/lycanthropy, Angels, Demons, Dragons, Elves, and of course animals, also the belief appears to be a fairly new one, at least by the name otherkin, and appears to have come from the 1990s

But all this is leading me to a question and I truly mean no disrespect, if this question is too personal please feel free to tell me so.

From what I have (just) read Otherkin feel they are human in a physical sense, but non-human in a mental or spiritual sense. And this can have something to do with reincarnation and/or having the soul of another species.

If I may ask, what other species and what led to feel or believe this?

Feel free to PM me if you would rather not post it or feel free to ignore me as well.

Thanks
XS

How true.

Well I went to a shaman of the Huron tribe for a vision quest and a sweat lodge.

During the vision quest I met my "guardian spirit" then I met with the Shaman in his trailer and he devined the nature of my soul.

Too his surprise they were both the same. Meaning my spirit guide / spirit animal is the same as the mark on my soul. He told me I was very rare and a lot of other things but technically I think he would have classified me as Unkin by their definition.

So that is how it was done for me :)

In college I had a very close friend who believed something very similar, although this was 20 years ago so I don't know if there was a group with a name and all that. I think he called it "transient" or soemthing like that. he had a very complex and detailed back-story, it was very "believable".

Since that time he has gone through (and continues) an extensive treatment of counseling and medication for his schizophrenia, and now understands that he is just a human being like all the rest of us.

Which shows you exactly how we Homo Sapiens intend to continue our dominance of the Earth.

I don't know...

While this may be true I was meaning more from the,

"Hey I am Otherkin/Unkin and you are too!" sort of statements.

I mean as stated in a previous post at least one shaman thinks I fall into the category but I've never met one... nor has anyone sought me out to induct me.

So either the shaman was wrong or otherkins/unkins can't recognize others if you stay in the postulate that its true.

If one believes in reincarnation, and I happen to be one who does, at least that some souls return repeatedly, it's possible.

Question is, why? Why would a human return as a goat, or a wolf as a human?

One could say, it's a form of karmatic balancing. A promotion/demotion system intended to teach the returning soul until it achieves a higher plane of existence.

Back