Otherkin?

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone here heard of the group of people that identify themselves as Otherkin? That is, people who believe their souls to be of non-human origin, or those who familiarize themselves with the archetypes of something non-human?

I'm just curious as to whether or not I'm the only one here that identifies myself with this particular belief...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone here heard of the group of people that identify themselves as Otherkin? That is, people who believe their souls to be of non-human origin, or those who familiarize themselves with the archetypes of something non-human?

I'm just curious as to whether or not I'm the only one here that identifies myself with this particular belief...
I understand Scientology holds similar beliefs.
Sean

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats a new one on me. Sounds similar to some of the more shamanistic beliefs of the neo-pagans.

Jeff

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Haven't heard of it myself but it does sound like some things I've heard from Scientologists.

OP
Nyrotic

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I have myself related Otherkin to neo-paganism, and Otherkin is compatible with Scientology, but it's not the same.

Also, I myself am Otherkin, so if you've any questions, feel free to ask.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back in my days in the Goth clubs I ran across a clique of those people who believe they are dragons trapped in human form... are you like them?

Also met a lot of "Vampires" back then too.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

From the Introduction of "Changeling The Dreaming" by White Wolf - First Edition June 1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling:_The_Dreaming

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. - The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe

The gates to the Realms of Faerie are closed. Humankind has turned its back on the magical in favor of a new dream - a dream of sterile, banal world with no mysteries or wonder. A world where all the questions have been answered and all the puzzles of the universe solved. And yet, in the quest for this Utopia, much of humankind has lost a little of themsleves. They have forgotten how to dream ....

When the last trods to Arcadia closed and the gates slammed shut, there still remained a few of the Fair Folk living alongside humanity. These stranded fae were forced to adopt a new way of living in order to survive the sheer power of humanity's collective disbelief in all things: they became mortal themsleves, sheltering their fragile faeie souls in the mortal flesh. And yet these fae continue to dream of a day when humanity will once more return to the mystical. In the centuries following the Shattering, the fae have quietly fostered the dreams of mortals, seeking to usher in a return of the halcyon days when the fae were welcome and could openly walk among mortals.

. . .

;)

OP
Nyrotic

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Back in my days in the Goth clubs I ran across a clique of those people who believe they are dragons trapped in human form... are you like them?​

Also met a lot of "Vampires" back then too.​

Dragon, yes, although I wouldn't use the word "Trapped"...

One thing you have to understand is that, unfortunately, the vast majority of those like me, really aren't like me at all. Many of them (us) tend to brood over our "past lives" and "What if I'll return to dragon form someday" and the likes. I, for one, don't work in "what-if's", I work with what I'm given, where I'm at, and set goals for the future, not the past. And yes, I do believe my soul is that of a dragon, but I see it simply as being more of a misplaced curiousity in contrast to a prison.

Basically, I associate my soul/mindset with that of what a dragon 'should be'. In other words, loyalty to family and superiors, courage to stand up for what you believe in, basically traits many would consider ''draconic'' in nature, not "Oh I wish I had my wings again", (Well....actually, I DO, but you know what I mean...).

Bottom-line, you can cry about what you're born into, like many of my kin do, or you can move on with life.

Damn, that all sounded philosophical,
Nyro

PS: As for the vampire bit...I've met dozens of them and still am not sure what to think of them...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
:bs:

For the love of Cthulhu, why do the furries and their kind always come up with such pretentious and self-important crud? The ones who are into reincarnation are always magician-priests or warrior-princesses. The furries are horses, foxes, cats, wolves or something else that makes their tender parts all tingly.

Where are the pangolins and tomato horn worms trapped in human bodies? How often does someone talk about her last twelve incarnations as a turnip farmers wife that ended abruptly when she died in childbirth?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Had a long chat once with a reincarnist. You know, the folks who believe they keep coming back after you die. Anyhoo, unlike the stereotype we've all heard about (you know, how everyone was Napoleon or Caesar, etc), she gave a pretty good description of past lives, alot of detail that most folks wouldn't think of. Of being a slave girl in Rome, a hermit in India, and a peasant in the middle ages who fought in the crusades. Was an interesting chat, and much different than the ones we usually hear about.

So, while some of these folks are nuts, I think many more are serious and sane in their beliefs.

After all, Patton himself believed in reincarnation, and some old religions promote/demote your form based on your last life. Who's to say humanity isn't a downgrade? ;)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An interesting passage from the bible regarding reincarnation:

"While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, 'This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!'

When the disciples heard this, they fell face-down to the ground, terrified. But Jesus came and touched them. 'Get up,' he said. 'Don't be afraid.' When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.

As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, 'Don't tell anyone what you have seen until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.'

The disciples asked him, 'why then do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?'

Jesus replied, 'To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is gonig to suffer in their hands.' Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist."

-Matt. 17:5-13

However, the idea that souls are reborn in other lifeforms is called transmigration ... different stuff.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know the origional writer of Changling, Werewolf, Vampire, and Wraith and so forth from the old school days of World of Darkness.

This was all back in revision one. Heck of a story teller this guy was taking a day in his imagination was quite a ride.

Yes a good story teller is what makes a "Story" or "Chapter" work. Also if it was published in 1995 working documents most likely date back much further, and were not released until the proper timing by a publisher to ride the wave of interest in the rest of the products at hand.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes a good story teller is what makes a "Story" or "Chapter" work. Also if it was published in 1995 working documents most likely date back much further, and were not released until the proper timing by a publisher to ride the wave of interest in the rest of the products at hand.

Well I'm a bit more steeped in all that history than most purely because this guy is a friend of mine. The roleplaying genre as a whole was defined by D&D and not much else.

Steve Jackson had some success as well as a few other small scale stuff like GURPS but nothing like D&D had been seen.

Add the vampire social frenzy of the early 90's and you get Vampire the Masqurade from World of Darkness. Capatalizing on the current trends to a supernatural RPG that turned out to be a political game rather than D&D style complex world.

God I'm lame.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I'm a bit more steeped in all that history than most purely because this guy is a friend of mine. The roleplaying genre as a whole was defined by D&D and not much else.

Steve Jackson had some success as well as a few other small scale stuff like GURPS but nothing like D&D had been seen.

Add the vampire social frenzy of the early 90's and you get Vampire the Masqurade from World of Darkness. Capatalizing on the current trends to a supernatural RPG that turned out to be a political game rather than D&D style complex world.

God I'm lame.

What you meant to say was "God aren't WE lame." Where we is boht you and I. ;)

I played lots of games since the 70's and ran lots of home campaigns so I could tailer the stories to "our" liking.

I have followed Shadowrun form the beginner and I know it was very much influenced by Cyber Punk. I just could not get into Cyber Punk as it seemed to be very dark and street level. Where as Shadowrun allowed for more variations, and yes it has gone on some wild swings were SRIII was msotly Corporate and world chaning events to SRIV that is back to the local street level, and less sphere of influence. While both can be fun, I enjoy having options, so SRII would be my favorite of those offered.

Then there ware the good old days of Cthulhu and trying to survive and Paranoia and also Trying to Survive. The Palladium games that were percentile based were a nice option as well.

Ah the good old days when I had more "Free" time to read and play with friends who had more "Free" time. :)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
All I know is that I rue the day that vampires became superheroes for fashion-impaired teenagers. Ruined one of the scariest monsters of all time, they did.

Curse you, Ann Rice.

Latest Discussions