One Steps

tsdclaflin

Green Belt
Reaction score
During my personal TSD history, I have belonged to 4 different associations and have learned two different sets of one steps.

The one steps that I have learned are okay for practicing techniques, but they are not very "practical" or realistic.

Does anyone know/teach a good, realistic, practical set of one steps that could actually be used to defend against an attack? I hate to "re-event the wheel" but I have started to do that. I am in the process of reviewing the 50+ one steps that I have learned in the two associations and am trying to come up with 10-20 that will really work against a real attack. For example, I have never learned a one step to defend against a "hay-maker" (a wild, large hook punch) so I am creating one.

I would be interested in everyone's opinion. Here are the attacks that I have (started) listed as needing a defense against.

1) Against a step, punch
2) Against a backfist or jab
3) Against a “Hay-Maker”
4) Against a cross punch
5) Against a front kick
6) Against a round kick
7) Against a side kick

Grabs and chokes are another topic....

Thanks in advance.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
During my personal TSD history, I have belonged to 4 different associations and have learned two different sets of one steps.

The one steps that I have learned are okay for practicing techniques, but they are not very "practical" or realistic.

Does anyone know/teach a good, realistic, practical set of one steps that could actually be used to defend against an attack? I hate to "re-event the wheel" but I have started to do that. I am in the process of reviewing the 50+ one steps that I have learned in the two associations and am trying to come up with 10-20 that will really work against a real attack. For example, I have never learned a one step to defend against a "hay-maker" (a wild, large hook punch) so I am creating one.

I would be interested in everyone's opinion. Here are the attacks that I have (started) listed as needing a defense against.

1) Against a step, punch
2) Against a backfist or jab
3) Against a “Hay-Maker”
4) Against a cross punch
5) Against a front kick
6) Against a round kick
7) Against a side kick

Grabs and chokes are another topic....

Thanks in advance.

For the Haymaker? Move towards it. Block it with the closest hand and counter with the other. Ill let You translate the block and strike into TSD.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've never had set defences in one step, to have set pieces seems to us to be a bit pointless, much better to be able to make it up as you go along, it allows you to act as if it were for real, you don't ask an attacker to do a set piece if he's trying to mug you.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't see many one-steps I like, and to make someone else move like I do doesn't seem right. I like my students to make up their own - they just need to make sense and flow right. The thing I hate to see is when someone stops in the middle when they 'think they messed up'. Just don't stop, finish and then try again.

kbarrett

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That I like, I also tell my student when practicing "Hyung" don't stop regardless if they make a mistake just keep going, this way they become more instinctive ratter than relying on pre-arranged motions.

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For the Haymaker? Move towards it. Block it with the closest hand and counter with the other. Ill let You translate the block and strike into TSD.

I don't see many one-steps I like, and to make someone else move like I do doesn't seem right. I like my students to make up their own - they just need to make sense and flow right. The thing I hate to see is when someone stops in the middle when they 'think they messed up'. Just don't stop, finish and then try again.

Both good comments.

About the haymaker in general: step in, slightly angle the classical high block to the outside of your body, and then use a straight hand or kick counter.

Montecarlodrag

Green Belt
Reaction score
1 step sparring is very useful when trained correctly.
It's not a complete or standalone system and it doesn't work by itself.
It is to develop an instinctive response against an attack, trying to cover most situations and circumstances.
It must be combined with ho sin sul, hyungs and free sparring to be effective.

JasonS

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree Montecarlodrag completely. One Steps are not complete answer to any kind of defense. I see them as a way of forming habit and reaction times.

It is to develop an instinctive response against an attack, trying to cover most situations and circumstances.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, a very important training tool at first.

Latest Discussions