One punch and knock your opponent out

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't.

Do you believe it's possible to reliable knock out every opponent with your first punch, and that you will always be able to punch?

Because if you do, you are wrong; and if you do not, you will need a backup plan.
Of course.

did you think I was suggesting otherwise?

DTACTUSA Larry

White Belt
Reaction score
In law enforcement training we train the LEO's to first deal with problems while standing, especially if they are alone or without back-up. Going to the ground is dangerous if you don't have back-up. You never know who is an enemy or ally, and you have weapon retentions to consider.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
*sigh*

The purpose of gloves is to protect the boxer's hands.

If a boxer took the same swing bare-knuckle that he does in a glove and were to hit something hard (like the top of the head), he's a high probability to damage those small bones in his hand.

Pre gloves, that was used as a tactic in boxing. Expose your face then drop your head when the punch comes.
So, gloves weaken the destructive ability of a punch.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The thing is that street systems think they have some sort of monopoly on how many of their guys have engaged in street fights. And they don't.

So the answer is the same as everybody e
Street systems, is that even a real thing. If you want to be a fighter, Striking', kicking and wrestling, is about all you need...it takes much more, to be an artist...imo.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can knock your opponent out with one punch, you don't need to train any grappling art. What can be more important than this in your MA training?

Your thought?

I think that's a bad way to train. You don' know who you'll fight. You don't know their training, endurance, ability to take a hit, etc. I cannot stress this enough: Saitama is just an anime character.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you can knock your opponent out with one punch, you don't need to train any grappling art. What can be more important than this in your MA training?

Your thought?

I never responded to this directly, so here goes: regardless of how hard you can punch, if you yourself cannot take a punch, then grappling is your friend. Grappling significantly reduces the likelihood that you'll take a punch to the face at full momentum.

If you can't take a punch, you're far better off as a trained grappler and untrained striker than the other way around.

C Sal

White Belt
Reaction score

Your thought?
Man as much as one would LOVE to do so, train to be able to have many punches. There was some research done on top boxers like Manny Pacquiao. On an average bout, about 30% of punches actually connect and land. Of those punches that landed only a few can actually be can be considered a knock out punch.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Man as much as one would LOVE to do so, train to be able to have many punches. There was some research done on top boxers like Manny Pacquiao. On an average bout, about 30% of punches actually connect and land. Of those punches that landed only a few can actually be can be considered a knock out punch.

Well, assuming that OP is talking about a fight on the streets, the strategy is not going to be the same.

Chasing KO's from the start of a boxing match is bad strategy, whereas you're trying to end a street fight as soon as possible.

If I had to guess, the landing percentage is higher on the streets, mainly because most untrained fighters are horrible at defense.

C Sal

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, assuming that OP is talking about a fight on the streets, the strategy is not going to be the same.

Chasing KO's from the start of a boxing match is bad strategy, whereas you're trying to end a street fight as soon as possible.

If I had to guess, the landing percentage is higher on the streets, mainly because most untrained fighters are horrible at defense.

"If I had to guess, the landing percentage is higher on the streets, mainly because most untrained fighters are horrible at defence"

Yeah, that's a valid point.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this case, I'm talking about competitors. And they don't necessarily have to be national level like UFC or Bellator. They could be competing in a local promotion.

I'm sure not everyone will agree because we all have different points of view on what the main predictor of the outcome of a fight is. But mine is physical fitness. In my mind, any and every technique in your repertoire is worthless if you get winded after a few seconds.

Competing in MMA requires exceptional physical conditioning that is not demanded of anyone that is not in competitive sports.

And then there's the actual experience that they have. Another strong predictor.
It'll depend how good the competitor is. Right now, I'd make a bad showing (I haven't kept in shape well over the last year, and haven't trained with a partner in a long time now). But I've seen some video of some really bad MMA competitors (they didn't win, of course), and I'd maybe still do well against them if I can control it early so they don't wear me out.

My answer 20 years ago would be different, but a bit the same. My striking strategy and defense weren't as good then, but my toughness and fitness were signficantly better.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, gloves weaken the destructive ability of a punch.
yes and no, they substantially decrease the destruction of your hand whilst sticking a lb or so on the weight of your arm which can make the punch more effective

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opinions vary,

The punching in the face comment, makes me giggle. If the only time you have been punched in the face, is while training or sparring in a sport art, you have a long way to go, in using your ability for an actual encounter.
I'm confused. Are you suggesting that an MMA competitor pounding your face is somehow less disorienting than someone on the street?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

well maybe, its not unlikely someone will come straight at you with their hands down from guard, you really should be able to hit them and hit them hard. thats still harder to time than punching a fair ground machine, particularly if they are coming fast, which they tend to do, once they have decided to fight you

but its also far from unlikely, that they will have the reactions to move or the speed to hit you first

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes and no, they substantially decrease the destruction of your hand whilst sticking a lb or so on the weight of your arm which can make the punch more effective
Specifically for KO punches, this should be true, since the best evidence I've seen is that it's pretty much all about momentum transfer off-axis.

Renshi I

White Belt
Reaction score

Your thought?
That's like asking if order a steak do I need a spoon. You won't knock out every opponent. When you encounter someone who can take your lunch and keep coming, you better have some other skills

Latest Discussions