One punch and knock your opponent out

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Why would you pick an MMA fighter? Especially if they need to follow the rules.

I'll restate the point that I was trying to make with this: that street fights can be, and often times are, won by using only techniques that are allowed in MMA promotions.

This time around, I'll even cite an example: Kimbo Slice's backyard fight videos. We don't even have to do MMA, we can just do boxing, which is even more restrictive: in the majority of his videos, everything Kimbo Slice did is permissible in boxing. He fought strictly using his fist only, while most of his opponents used all eight striking points and grappled.

That being said, if it's possible to win real fights using only techniques that are allowable in combat sports; then that makes combat sports real fights.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll restate the point that I was trying to make with this: that street fights can be, and often times are, won by using only techniques that are allowed in MMA promotions.

This time around, I'll even cite an example: Kimbo Slice's backyard fight videos. We don't even have to do MMA, we can just do boxing, which is even more restrictive: in the majority of his videos, everything Kimbo Slice did is permissible in boxing. He fought strictly using his fist only, while most of his opponents used all eight striking points and grappled.

That being said, if it's possible to win real fights using only techniques that are allowable in combat sports; then that makes combat sports real fights.
Kimbo slice backyard fights had rules. Street fights are going to be fought with the skills they have and, or with the weapons that are available. I wouldn't put street fight on the same level as sports fighting. As for the issue about what is considered a real fight, I wouldn't worry about. I set the bar low. A real fight for me is when some intentionally tries to do great harm to me. Then from there, I can identify levels of great harm

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you can knock your opponent out with one punch, you don't need to train any grappling art. What can be more important than this in your MA training?

Your thought?
Well, I've been in martial arts for fifty years and still teach. My main art is my version of American Kenpo. You need to know some grappling. I replaced all the joint locks that Ed Parker took out for speed sake. I'm 5'2" and I've been grabbed tightly before in a conflict. If I had not been able to utilize a joint move circular motion to get me out of his power grip and spot, it might have ended badly. But all my conflicts ended well. You need joint locks and circular motion sometimes, to get you out of the attacker's power zone and you into your own zone.
Remember, the option is to know and practice both Lines and Circles. I practice joint locks from the fingers up to the shoulders.
Keep in mind, I do not practice Jujitsu on the ground or otherwise. I pick and chose joint locks and the moves that would get me off the ground immediately if not sooner.
Sifu
Puyallup, WA

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would you pick an MMA fighter? Especially if they need to follow the rules.
They have a greater ability to do damage.

It doesn't matter if somewhere in your tool box you have some ultimate ninja move if you are being punched in the face.

Last edited:

GodSpearCQB

White Belt
Reaction score
If you can knock your opponent out with one punch, you don't need to train any grappling art. What can be more important than this in your MA training?

Your thought?
Although I enjoyed my years of grappling, being older now and not wanting to get bruised up, stabbed again, or surrounded by the enemy (also happened in the past) I would never strike with less than lethality as intention. Any threat in the street in todays society I consider a threat to life. Survival is not a sport. Cutting the Throat, Carotid, heart stem, femoral, kidney, liver, pancreas are all primary targets, eyes and groin as only distractions. I would NEVER punch someone in the head, it is pointless. That being said MMA is the only sport I watch, I love the heart the young put into it.

Last edited:

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Your thought?
My first thought is "why am I getting emails from a site I've not posted on in 14 years".
My second thought is, what you are implying is idiotic.

If I can shoot you, I don't need a punching art.

So you are either postulating "if you get lucky", which is pointless; or you are implying that the impossible (a 100% certainty of a given outcome) is possible, which is delusional.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
They have a greater ability to do damage.

It doesn't matter if somewhere in your tool box you have some ultimate ninja move if you are being punched in the face.
Opinions vary,

The punching in the face comment, makes me giggle. If the only time you have been punched in the face, is while training or sparring in a sport art, you have a long way to go, in using your ability for an actual encounter.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score

You mean punching and kicking? Pretty much usable in any art.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I guess it should be stated, that I personally, am not a sport fighting fan. Never have been.

Marlene Morga

White Belt
Reaction score

Your thought?
Sometimes it's good to learn grappling just for fun or for when the situation calls for it. If you get knocked down by surprise and your opponent tries to pin you down, then grappling techniques are necessary. As for the one punch knockout, never use it unless others are around you and the attacker would put them in harm's way. To finish a fight when others are vulnerable to be victims of the attacker besides you, use verbal negotiation, and if he doesn't listen, then one punch is okay. Not a full on barrage of counterattack. Thanks for posting this question. I was curious and wanted to test my knowledge on the subject.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you believe a one punch knockout is an impossibility?

It isn't really a choice.
Opinions vary,

The punching in the face comment, makes me giggle. If the only time you have been punched in the face, is while training or sparring in a sport art, you have a long way to go, in using your ability for an actual encounter.

I have been punched in the face harder in training than I have ever been in a street fight. It sets you up better for a street fight than street fighting.

Anyway this is a rule set that allows head buts kicks knees and elbows.

And yet face punching is still a core principle for winning fights.

Last edited:

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cutting the Throat, Carotid, heart stem, femoral, kidney, liver, pancreas are all primary targets, eyes and groin as only distractions. I would NEVER punch someone in the head, it is pointless. That being said MMA is the only sport I watch, I love the heart the young put into it.
Oh where to begin.
  • The carotid is in the throat, so that's kind of redundant.
  • None of the organs you list are particularly useful as a stabbing target unless your goal is for them to die tomorrow.
  • Stabbing to the eye is more effective than the pancreas will ever be.
  • Hitting in the head is very effective. Have you never seen a boxing match?
    • I guess not: have you actually not watched enough MMA to see head-punch knock-outs? I can find you links.
It's strange to me that you've assumed you do have a knife, but don't have a firearm.

PS: None of the things discussed (except a head hit resulting in knockout) is an immediate end to the fight. Ever shoot a deer in the heart? They often run half a football field before going down. People aren't different (just slower)

Last edited:

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It isn't how you should fight.

I have been punched in the face harder in training than I have ever been in a street fight. It sets you up better for a street fight than street fighting.

Anyway this is a rule set that allows head buts kicks knees and elbows.

And yet face punching is still a core principle for winning fights.
Really, with padded hands, that had to be an extremely weak punch.

Yeah, that is nothing new (video) seen and trained that way in my younger days.

These training methods are nothing new.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah, that is nothing new (video) seen and trained that way in my younger days.

These training methods are nothing new.

Yes with 16oz gloves.

Because the guys I train with can fundamentally fight better than your average street fighter.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes with 16oz gloves.

Because the guys I train with can fundamentally fight better than your average street fighter.
Again an opinion. You should ask them, how often the have actually fought a street fighter.

I think it is more of a claim than an actuality.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again an opinion. You should ask them, how often the have actually fought a street fighter.

I think it is more of a claim than an actuality.

The thing is that street systems think they have some sort of monopoly on how many of their guys have engaged in street fights. And they don't.

So the answer is the same as everybody else.

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
*sigh*

The purpose of gloves is to protect the boxer's hands.

If a boxer took the same swing bare-knuckle that he does in a glove and were to hit something hard (like the top of the head), he's a high probability to damage those small bones in his hand.

Pre gloves, that was used as a tactic in boxing. Expose your face then drop your head when the punch comes.

tlc4355

White Belt
Reaction score

Your thought?
So forsaking the concept of mobility and assuming that one's opponent is going to stand face to face and afford one the opportunity to strike...

Why am I even responding to this....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So forsaking the concept of mobility and assuming that one's opponent is going to stand face to face and afford one the opportunity to strike...

Why am I even responding to this....

Yeah. People seem to be treating it like a technique or a choice.

And it definitely isn't.

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you believe a one punch knockout is an impossibility?
I don't.

Do you believe it's possible to reliable knock out every opponent with your first punch, and that you will always be able to punch?

Because if you do, you are wrong; and if you do not, you will need a backup plan.