One punch and knock your opponent out

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
yes and no, they substantially decrease the destruction of your hand whilst sticking a lb or so on the weight of your arm which can make the punch more effective
I see and agree with most of your statement. But, I have done both and in my own personal experience, it doesn't seem to matter as much as people think. The lbs that is, as a matter of fact, getting hit with gloves, never really affected me much....even during the time that I would spar boxers at Ringside (local boxing club).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never responded to this directly, so here goes: regardless of how hard you can punch, if you yourself cannot take a punch, then grappling is your friend. Grappling significantly reduces the likelihood that you'll take a punch to the face at full momentum.

If you can't take a punch, you're far better off as a trained grappler and untrained striker than the other way around.

That's like asking if order a steak do I need a spoon. You won't knock out every opponent. When you encounter someone who can take your lunch and keep coming, you better have some other skills
if they take my lunch I'm going knock them over no matter what, if it one thing i cant stand its lunch nickers

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, gloves weaken the destructive ability of a punch.
No. They absolutely do not do that.

By protecting the hand, and often the wrist, gloves allow the striker to hit *harder*.

And while the gloves can offer some protection to small, exposed bones (like cheekbones) and skin, thus making boxing matches less bloody; they do nothing at all to help the neck or brain, which is now far more damaged because it's been hit harder.

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
as a matter of fact, getting hit with gloves, never really affected me much....
I look forward to your career in professional boxing as you appear to be the only human on the planet unaffected by being punched when the striker is wearing a glove.

Wealth and fame await you. Go forth!

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No, I am saying bare knuckles, will do more damage than padded.
More damage to the skin? Yes. More damage to small, nigh-exposed bones (cheek bones, optical orbit, perhaps even rib)? Yes.
More damage to the spine and brain? No. Gloves protect the small bones in the hand allowing a harder overall hit to be delivered safely ("safe" in this case being "safe for the hand") resulting in greater concussive force.

Moving from bare-knuckle to gloved boxing increased brain damage in boxers.

D

Deleted member 39746

More damage to the skin? Yes. More damage to small, nigh-exposed bones (cheek bones, optical orbit, perhaps even rib)? Yes.
More damage to the spine and brain? No. Gloves protect the small bones in the hand allowing a harder overall hit to be delivered safely ("safe" in this case being "safe for the hand") resulting in greater concussive force.

There is a inbetween, more depends on the gloves you are talking about and how much padding and where. Your talking about displacing the surface area of both the force of your punch and the force of the persons face onto your fist. But standard combat sports gloves now days seem to enable more force to be delivered to places it otherwise wouldnt.

(a quote may have been null here)

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is a inbetween, more depends on the gloves you are talking about and how much padding and where. Your talking about displacing the surface area of both the force of your punch and the force of the persons face onto your fist. But standard combat sports gloves now days seem to enable more force to be delivered to places it otherwise wouldnt.

(a quote may have been null here)
A larger glove (say a boxing glove vs a bag glove) will likely offer more protection for a rib.

But brains aren't hit by hands, they are hit by the insides of skulls. The issue for brain and neck injury is about the amount and rapidity of the movement of the head. A heavy enough pillow would not be ineffective.

The physics for organ damage is a bit different, and so nuanced that the juice is not worth the squeeze, but when discussing what is realistically the most important effect of striking (the ability to disorient and knock-out an opponent), gloves make striking more effective (at least in terms of damage dealt... large gloves have an effect on ability to hit as well that's not as beneficial).

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Cool.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I look forward to your career in professional boxing as you appear to be the only human on the planet unaffected by being punched when the striker is wearing a glove.

Wealth and fame await you. Go forth!
Yeah....it is awesome to be invincible.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

In Boxing gyms, not (boxercise gyms) people spar without the intention of knocking each other out, or trying to injure each other with body shots, to do so would be counter productive. Competitive Boxing, be it amateur or pro, as well as boxing training itself, is grueling and at times unforgiving.

A lot depends on the experience and talent of the boxers involved. You watch a newbie, part time boxer, it takes about three seconds to recognize him as such. There used to be an old expression used when watching rookies (who all of us here were at one time) The expression was -

“That boy couldn’t hit a wheat field with a hand full of locusts."

Keep you hands up, fellas.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if say you have the advantage of bare knuckle or street techniques. If you don't have the skills to employ them.

Fighters wearing gloves and following rules have enough in the tool box to finish people. Which is all you need to test a method.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anyway. If I absolutely had to send a guy unconscious. I would choke them out.

It is more reliable.
I have had the opportunity to ridgehand my brother full force in the neck, when he was drunk.

He had just thrown a framing hammer at our other brother.

I knew if I didn't KO him, I probably would have gone to the hospital.

He usually could beat my ***. (Actually he always had beat my ***. Damn boxing skills)

He had just turned around to look at me when I attacked. His guard was coming up when he dropped like a 50 lb sack of potatoes.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if say you have the advantage of bare knuckle or street techniques. If you don't have the skills to employ them.

Fighters wearing gloves and following rules have enough in the tool box to finish people. Which is all you need to test a method.
Obviously, as for rules...in a fight, non sport, you will not find me following any rules at all.

I hear a lot about rules in combat, they are simply a stupid thing to follow in a fight.

Every fight, is a fight for life.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Obviously, as for rules...in a fight, non sport, you will not find me following any rules at all.

I hear a lot about rules in combat, they are simply a stupid thing to follow in a fight.

The difference is that when you have rules that protect the safety of the combatants, you can increase the skill level and develop a more elite fighter, because you can perfect techniques with reduced threat of injury.

It’s like a kimura versus someone using biting to submit someone. The person who practiced the Kimura in a safe environment has a higher chance of pulling it off because they’ve been able to practice it under pressure over and over again.

You really can’t practice biting on that level, because you’d quickly run out of training partners, and students would develop physical and mental diseases from consuming so much blood and flesh. When the time comes to use it, you won’t be able to because you’ve never done it enough (if at all) to get good at it.

You really can’t get good at something you never really do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605-105419_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-105419_Chrome.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 53
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Sport is the path. Combat is the goal. Without the path (sport), you can't reach to your goal (combat).

A: How many eye balls have you taken out so far?
B: None.
A: How many times have you use single leg to take down your opponent?
B: Over a 1,000 times.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All I can say is how often you see one punch knock out in UFC or Balletor? Almost never!!! It's always a series of punches and kicks. If anyone believe they can one punch and knock out the opponent, they must not be in real fight and just all talk. That's what I hate about all the so called masters, they said if you do this, I would do that........it's like all talking on paper.

This I talk with a lot of bitterness, I was from the days before UFC and grappling. I don't know anything about grappling. Remember UFC in the late 90s to early 2000s, time where still have strikers and grapplers. You can see the grappler literally willing to take the first punch and shoot the striker. They know once they get hold of the striker, it's done. Now a days, this doesn't work because nobody gets into the Octagon without knowing both. This means taking a punch and charge is no longer work.

All that means is, regarding to the tittle of this thread, I assume the OP is a striker that don't know grappling and jujitsu. So it's like going back to the late 90s of UFC.......facing the grappler, you prey on one punch knock out before the opponent shoot and tackle you down. To answer this question, go back and watch the UFC fights in the late 90s and see how many succeeded in knocking the opponent out before being tackled. From my memory, DON'T BET ON IT.

Sure, your opponent is no UFC fighter, but are you a UFC fighter? MMA is amazing, it really shut a lot of people up. It evolve so fast nobody dominant for extend period of time. People improve by the day, Gracie got creamed by Matt Huges, who got knocked out within a few months. Chuck Ledel didn't stay up long. Look at Connor McGregor now. I know people hate what I am saying. I HATE what I said here too!!! But it's painfully true. That's why I practice cane fight. At least I have better chance, better reach, hit harder with a stick than punches.

If you are young enough, go learn MMA, learn take down defense. If you are too old like me, be bitter and learn stick fight. Forget the fantasy of one punch knock out.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions