On your own?

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Away from classes, teaching, team or group training, beyond basic conditioning for strength, flexibility, etc., what Taekwondo do you train by yourself?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aside from those other activities, I see my sabum once, occasionally twice monthly for a private lesson. At this stage of my journey, much of the lesson is verbal focusing on the way I ought to do things. I am also trying to learn some basic Korean through him as he is a native speaker.

By the way. For those interested in such things, many Korean community churches offer language lessons primarily meant for children but if you meet their safety credentialing requirements, they likely will let adults in too.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
It varies but I will usually alternate between a pattern and a fundamental exercise as I work on patterns beginning at Chon-Ji and moving into the more advanced ones up through 5th dan patterns. So, for example, I would do Chon-Ji then a set of frot snap kicks; Dan-Gun then a set of punches from a sitting stance; Do-San then a set of side piercing kicks; etc. I do't always go through all 23 patterns I know this way, but I have done so. Usually I'll do 10-12 or so. When I do all the patterns I usually do each one twice and omit the fudamental exercises in between.

I also tend to work on free sparring combinations outside of class, focusing on ones I need work on or new ones to add to my sparring repetoire.

Pax,

Chris

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mon and Fri as part of my weightlifting warm up I do the last 13 patterns, on Wed. it's the first 12.

Between the Kids and Adult classes I do kicks. 10 reps each leg, (All rear leg advancing) Front, Side, Side turning, Back, Rear leg offensive hook turning forward, (not in the Chang Hon system as such) reverse hook, Vertical with Footswird, vertical reverse footsword, Reverse vertical, and reverse turning. So, 200 kicks in total. Sometimes I do double kicks or string certain kicks together as combinations or consecutive.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to practice kicks that need improving. Lately it has been the right leg spinning hook kick, although inevitably I start doing left leg spinning hook kick since I am so much happier with the left leg!

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I always practise by myself techniques I believe I don't have a minimum amount of skill at, like various types of kicking. I also train basics with attention to my breathing and the tensing of my body (always try to relax more and it's never enough). Finally, there's a lot of forms practice, and I get the benefit of being able to perform them in a slower pace, to think more carefully about every movement, and to break the form down into parts. The rush of the classes usually doesn't allow me to do all of those things with the patience I usually desire.
Oh, and off course... Tons of reading, too, as most here probably do! :D

Last edited:

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any additional training outside of classes I tend to focus on forms and any punches/strikes or blocks that are giving me issues, I'll even just go over basic blocks and strikes just to get refinement in those moves. I don't really have a set schdule as to what I'll work on when I do train at home it's pretty much what mood I'm in.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My main focus out of class is cardio and strength training. I'll practice a lot of kicks and punches on my heavy bag too, but I run everyday (usually twice a day), do some body weight exercises, I do what weights I can without a bench (which I should be acquiring soon), and I practice my patterns. The focus is on running right now as I let my fitness slide quite far while injured.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, i like to work on more passive skills. I find i function better when i dont spend a large amount of time on exact movements, even if theyre gross motor. Thats a personal thing, because it leads to me overthinking. So, the TKD i train outside of training TKD is about fitness strength and bashing a heavy bag on a 10 second timer :)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, i like to work on more passive skills. I find i function better when i dont spend a large amount of time on exact movements, even if theyre gross motor. Thats a personal thing, because it leads to me overthinking. So, the TKD i train outside of training TKD is about fitness strength and bashing a heavy bag on a 10 second timer :)
I know exactly where you are coming from. It pretty much describes how I do things outside of the dojang.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy solo training in forms. I also enjoy tweaking our curriculum by adding certain drills or specialized training for those with an injury or loss of range-of-motion. Helps me to think outside the box and keeps it fresh.

Latest Discussions