Sad Day in Canada

To all of you that think i don't care about the tragedy that happened. And to all of you that think that puting an opinion in to try and help eradicate a problem. Thanx, NOT! I do care Aand last night when i read that article, i was this close to crying.:wah: I don't have anyreason to cry about it besides that i think that all five lives that were lost were precious. Not the place, aurguing to try and legalize pot, thanks for trying to make me feel less than human.:2xBird2:

Dude you are the one who brought the legalization issue to the thread about murdered cops....what do you expect, espically from one of their brothers?

Tgace said:
Dude you are the one who brought the legalization issue to the thread about murdered cops....what do you expect, espically from one of their brothers?
True, but i threw it out there as an opinion. And for people to read only what they want to and disregard the rest. It shows what type of power media has on them. If you disagree say it loud and proud. Sorry that things took a wild turn in this thread. If you want to talk about legalization of pot you and i know where its done.

kid said:
To all of you that think i don't care about the tragedy that happened. And to all of you that think that puting an opinion in to try and help eradicate a problem. Thanx, NOT! I do care Aand last night when i read that article, i was this close to crying.:wah: I don't have anyreason to cry about it besides that i think that all five lives that were lost were precious. Not the place, aurguing to try and legalize pot, thanks for trying to make me feel less than human.:2xBird2:
Kid, I would like to help you out with something here. In the Study, we generally tend to think very carefully about the issue up for discussion, and contribute in a way that is thoughtful and respectful (most of the time). I reccommend you step back and think about this for a minute. This thread is specifically dedicated to a news article informing us of the loss of life of four police officers who were killed on duty. It is not about the legalization of marijuana. We have another thread which is specific to that issue.

I think that perhaps a few people are taking issue with your using this tragedy as leverage to support your position on the marijuana debate. This is not the place for that. Can you see how a fellow officer might take offense at this opportunism? Beyond that, its simply disrespectful. Please, read over Hardheadjarhead's post again.

Above all else, think about this: there could be surviving relatives of these murdered officers reading this thread. How do you suppose they might feel about your comments?

Please, I don't really want to further this discussion in thread. Let's leave the thread for others to pay their respects. :asian:

Its not about marijuana, its about trying to rationalize an unjustifiable act...

The RCMP* said the assailant was "known to police". Locals said he has a violent history and has made a lot of trouble for certain other families in the area. The mounties were serving a warrant re: stolen property & a suspected marijuana grow op.

So this certainly wasn't all about the marijuana, but people on either side of the decriminaliztion/legalization debate will certainly try and construe it as such.

Pro-pot people will say "if marijuana was legal, this guy wouldn't have felt the need to shoot those cops" but that doesn't make sense because
1)not everyone that is getting busted for breaking the law feels it's important to shoot the officers investigating them
2) they were also investigating stolen property (which no one is proposing becomes legalized) so he might have shot them over just that
3) this guy had a violent history anyways, so he might have shot anyone who was on his property.

Anti-pot people will say this proves Drugs Are Always Bad and Drug Users Are Bad People. But that doesn't make sense because
1) Not everyone who uses marijuana would go to that great of lengths in order to protect their stash
2) Not everyone who uses or gows marijuana are involved in other criminal activities
3) If there was a legal controlled supply of marijuana, then no one would need to go to this guy and his ilk for their supply. His market would evaporate.

One unfortunate problem this raises: marijuana smokers who are otherwise law-abiding citizens and are horrified by cop-killings may be unwittingly supporting this guy and others like him. On the black market, you don't always know who you are buying from. Even if you know and trust the person you are buying from, further up the chain you can be supporting all kinds of ugliness that you don't want to support.

* For those that don't know: the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is Canada's national police force and the only police for small towns for most of the country. Instead of state police forces, most provinces just have the RCMP outside of major centers.

errr... ahh... sorry, I took a long time writing that post, and flatlander's and tgace's comments weren't there yet.

I am horrified by this tragedy. No one's drug habit is worth this.

Tgace said:
Its not about marijuana, its about trying to rationalize an unjustifiable act...

:asian:

This was not worth the lives that were lost.

my appologies.
smileJap.gif
I didn't mean any disrespect to families of the lives that were lost in this tragic event. I didn't mean it as a justifiable ends to a mans murderous urges. I was only tring to look at it optimistically and to say we don't know why this man would do such a thing this drastic. Again i give my depest regards to the families. I am done trying to defend myself in this thread. i should have held my hands back from giving my opinion. And only give my condolences.

• Const. Peter Christopher Schiemann, 25;
  • Const. Anthony Fitzgerald Orion Gordon, 28;
  • Const. Lionide Nicholas Johnston, 32,
  • Const. Brock Warren Myrol, 29.
:asian:....

Nalia said:
  • Const. Peter Christopher Schiemann, 25;
  • Const. Anthony Fitzgerald Orion Gordon, 28;
  • Const. Lionide Nicholas Johnston, 32,
  • Const. Brock Warren Myrol, 29.
:asian:....
I bet I've made pizza for these guys. All RCMP recruits do their training here in Regina, and they love the pizza from the pizzaria that I used to manage. Their ages as posted would line up with when I would have been working there.

In the RCMP, the initial training course which takes somewhere in the neighbourhood of 6-9 months is totally unpaid. They even have to pay a few expenses over that period - I believe they even need to pay a bit for room and board. Members of the RCMP need to really want that job. I don't know too many people who would be prepared to support themselves as well as incur expenses for such an extended training period. How can we not honour their sacrifice? It takes a special kind of person to risk their lives as a course of daily duty for public safety.

Flatlander said:
I bet I've made pizza for these guys.
Wow, I didn't think of that aspect, but you probably have. And they've probably driven around in around and around the area where my mom lives because they do some of their driving training in the neighbourhood where I grew up.

In the RCMP, the initial training course which takes somewhere in the neighbourhood of 6-9 months is totally unpaid. They even have to pay a few expenses over that period - I believe they even need to pay a bit for room and board. Members of the RCMP need to really want that job. I don't know too many people who would be prepared to support themselves as well as incur expenses for such an extended training period. How can we not honour their sacrifice? It takes a special kind of person to risk their lives as a course of daily duty for public safety.
Additionally, every recruit must have a University degree before entrance. These are dedicated men and women. (As are their non-RCMP counterparts of course. This force just has a particularly high standard from their recruits.)

So much for just being "report takers" and "mess cleaners" huh???

raedyn said:
Additionally, every recruit must have a University degree before entrance. These are dedicated men and women. (As are their non-RCMP counterparts of course. This force just has a particularly high standard from their recruits.)
Actually this is incorrect. A high school diploma is the minimum requirement. I know that a degree may be required for city police but not for the RCMP. I'm sure it would increase your chances of being accepted though.

They really do sacrifice a lot. The part I think I would dislike about being an RCMP officer is the constant relocations. I know that many times they don't have much of a say as to where they'll be posted when they first start out.

Makes me so angry to read someone saying that this wouldn't have happened if drugs were legalized. Like someone said earlier, if you can't face the music....think before you act, and be responsible for your actions!!! Murdering 4 people for drugs??? Have mercy for the killer? NO WAY. Coward.

Funny I had to stumble upon this thread, after reading THIS:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=523021

I thought particularly interesting reading the passage towards the end...about mari having up to 12% more of that mind-altering substance than the mari going around during our parent's time...I surely talk to my kids about drugs. I'll keep doing it.

My condoleances to the families...including the coward's family.

funeral08.jpg

The Policeman's Prayer

Dear Lord, be with me on my beat​
This day and every day.​
Grant that each weary block I walk,​
May ease a brothers way.​
Let me be kindly to the old

And to the young, be strong​
But let me triumph over those​
Whose acts are cruel and wrong.​
And if according to your plan,

I am to lose my life,​