Reponsibility of a citizen

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I continue to hear discussion of the "rights" of a citizen. The government should do this or that for this or that group of citizens. "They" can't make me stop doing such and such 'cause it's my "right" to do so. What I don't hear very often is a discussion of what a citizens responsibilities are. For me the list is fairly simple and not going to fit everyone. For instance, I always felt that it was my responsibility to serve in the military. I did that. I feel that it's my responsibility to vote in a way that I feel will best protect and preserve this country, even when it doesn't always mean it's in my own best interest to do so. There are a few others that I have but I want to hear what the rest of you have to say on this.

All in all, I guess that what I'm getting at is that if we expect to enjoy the benefits of living and thriving within a nation as citizens then we should also step up to the plate and shoulder the responsibilities that go along with it.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though the sentiment is a kind one, I disagree from the ground up. Citizens have no real responsibility to their government. One of the great innovations of the United States was the concept that the government exists to serve the people, not the other way around. the government owes me reasonable liberty, reasonable economy, reasonable safety. I owe the government nothing at all, provided I pay my fair share of the bill.

Now, I do feel that I owe my community and society a thing or two. It's my job not to go around hurting people or stealing things. It's my job to keep an eye on the government and make sure they're still serving me. It's my job to try and get along, and to contribute to the common wealth.

Those duties, though, are irrespective of and seperate from government. Perhaps I misunderstand your post and we agree entirely, but again I owe my gov't nothing more than any other vendor I pay for services.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My OP was not "What are your responsibilities to the government?" but more of "What are your responsibilities to your country?" or countrymen if you like. I don't feel that I have any responsibility at all to the government but I do feel that as a member of this larger community that we call the USA that I have certain responsibilities to that community and my countrymen since I do expect to enjoy different aspects of being a member of said community.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The responsibitlies of a Citizen of any Country is to do the following:

1, Be a patriot. My defenition of which is to love your country always, and love your government when it deserves it.

2, Protect that country in times of need. IE Civil and Military Service.

3, Aid the people of your Country. Meaning, help the poor old woman being robbed by that dumb punk.

4, Don't hurt the Citizens of your Country, or Country it self.

5, Clean up the Government when it becomes corupt. Destroy the Government when it becomes too corupt.

Notice, I said these are responsibilities to the Country and her Citizens. We have no obligation to the GOVERNMENT. And, when it becomes corupt, it should be destroyed. My source on that one, US Decelaration of Indenpence.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The responsibitlies of a Citizen of any Country is to do the following:

1, Be a patriot. My defenition of which is to love your country always, and love your government when it deserves it.

2, Protect that country in times of need. IE Civil and Military Service.

3, Aid the people of your Country. Meaning, help the poor old woman being robbed by that dumb punk.

4, Don't hurt the Citizens of your Country, or Country it self.

5, Clean up the Government when it becomes corupt. Destroy the Government when it becomes too corupt.

Notice, I said these are responsibilities to the Country and her Citizens. We have no obligation to the GOVERNMENT. And, when it becomes corupt, it should be destroyed. My source on that one, US Decelaration of Indenpence.

That's a nice list. I would add this:

6. Follow the laws of the country, or change them through the format that exists in the country.

Civil disobedience is a great concept - and has been vital in causing some major changes that truly needed to happen - but few issues meet that criteria. Deliberately disobeying a law (no matter why you disagree with it) is still deliberately performing an illegal act, and doesn't change the law, so the long-term consequences of a bad law still exist - it is much better to change the bad law than to deliberately break it, although I can see instances in which laws should be broken to point out how bad they are, while you are working on changing the law - the segregation laws of the past are a prime example.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Civil disobedience is a great concept - and has been vital in causing some major changes that truly needed to happen - but few issues meet that criteria. Deliberately disobeying a law (no matter why you disagree with it) is still deliberately performing an illegal act, and doesn't change the law, so the long-term consequences of a bad law still exist - it is much better to change the bad law than to deliberately break it, although I can see instances in which laws should be broken to point out how bad they are, while you are working on changing the law - the segregation laws of the past are a prime example.

Well put. Most of what passes for 'civil disobedience' these days is nothing more principled than "You're not the boss of me!" And, IMO, if one wants to make a valiant stand against an unfair law, do it - but don't cry about it if you get caught. You can be a brave dissenter or a whiny little brat, but not both.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a nice list. I would add this:

6. Follow the laws of the country, or change them through the format that exists in the country.

Civil disobedience is a great concept

I would put your addition to part four. And as for changing a law that needs revision/removal I would put that with 5. Cleaning up government corruption and legal idiocy seem to go hand in hand (I sight the Jim Crow laws as my source)

And I agree. Civil Disobedience can be a force of radical (and possitive) change, Ghandi and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. are great examples. However, it's when the leaders are not persasive enough that we run into problems. Many modern attempts at civil disobedience have ended in riots because of a few idiots wanted to start trouble. Sadly, it's often easier to lead a bloody Coup then to peacefully march and protest.
Violence can be used to positive ends. Look at the U.S. revolution. Violence was probably the only thing would have worked in that situation (sorry all you limey Brits). However, it can also lead to terrible ends. I would consider the Boston Tea Party a form of violent response. What was the result? More taxes, more oppersion.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wherever we go there you are - Buckaroo Bonsai

When we travel we represent our country.

I see this as representing mankind. As human beings in a civilized world we affect each other. We would do well to make this a better place now and for future generations to come. The problem arises when we try to define the word "better." Some believe they are privileged and the world is here to serve them only. Others believe they deserve more privileges.

As a good citizen we should be good humans.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Be self-reliant and avoid becoming a financial burden to your fellow citizens.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always felt is was my responsibility to contribute back to the country. I am a firm believer that everyone should do something that betters the world around them either through military service, civil service, volunteer work, peace corps etc....It need not be a life long commitment but something that contributes a bit back to help sercure what you've "taken"

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the responsibilities of a citizen are as follows:

1. We must each be an informed member of the electorate. This requires one to read and stay current with domestic and world affairs. It further requires one acquire and maintain the highest level of cultural, political and scientific literacy achievable. The individual and the nation benefit.

Last year one half of Americans didn't buy or read a single book. I suggest we could do better.

2. We must vote. I have met people who don't vote because they, quite candidly, say they don't know what the issues are. Still others demonstrate apathy and cynicism, stating that they don't feel their vote will make a difference. I suspect the latter actually fall into the first category, and don't want to admit it...but I can't prove this. Regardless, taking part in the country's political process is a responsibility and ought not be shirked.

3. We must pay taxes. Currently we pay some of the lowest taxes in the free world, and seem to complain the loudest about it. Taxes provide a vast span of social services that benefit the public at large. True, our tax dollars are often squandered...but often they are not. We could compile a list of those services paid for by our taxes that would receive a bi-partisan nod, but that might be best for another thread.

4. I agree that in time of war either civil or military service might be required of a citizen. However; the conscience of the individual ought to dictate where his duty lies.

5. Citizens ought to contribute in some capacity to the public good beyond that service provided by taxes. Succoring the poor, the elderly, the disabled; volunteering to assist in tudoring and literacy programs; public clean-up campaigns directed at run-down neighborhoods; grass-roots environmental programs...the list is endless.

6. I write this last to proved a bit of circularity to this post and connect it with my first criterion: Citizens should engage in debate of public issues. At no other time in our nation's history have we been in such a position to do so. In addition to writing our representatives, our local editors, station managers, and school board members we can post to forums such as these. We can "blog". We can enter into the fray on Usenet (for those of you who still know what that is).

By this we bring to the table our opinions, our grievances, and also our ignorance--so that the latter two of these can be redressed and the first modified.

Regards,

Steve

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Steve, that is a very well thought out post. Very good.

We, the governed, must provide our 'consent'. It would be best if that consent was informed.

MAFHonolulu

White Belt
Reaction score
Amazing thoughts, I mostly agree with what's been stated here...
But military service as a requirement? Not for me, thank you! And honestly, I'd be terrified if my husband was required to go off to war. I do like that the government is less likely to draft citizens who provide employment and services for quite a number of people, since that could be the key to my husband being safe at home with me. Of course, I'm speaking of the times we live in now, whereas more dire situations would probably make me reconsider my needs versus those of the country.
Just thought I'd put that out there. :)
Oh, and p.s., if we all truly strive to be the best we can be, our contributions should really make this country shine.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I served for three years in the US Public Health Service National Health Service Corps. I'm not sure if national service should be "required," but it would be nice if Americans could get something specific in return for service, like college loan forgiveness, for example. And I don't think it should necessarily apply to only to a "time of war."

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sir, I agree with you on many accounts. I wish to point out were I disagree. We can do that number six of yours.

1. We must each be an informed member of the electorate... Last year one half of Americans didn't buy or read a single book. I suggest we could do better.

4. I agree that in time of war either civil or military service might be required of a citizen. However; the conscience of the individual ought to dictate where his duty lies.

6. I write this last to proved a bit of circularity to this post and connect it with my first criterion: Citizens should engage in debate of public issues. At no other time in our nation's history have we been in such a position to do so. In addition to writing our representatives, our local editors, station managers, and school board members we can post to forums such as these. We can "blog". We can enter into the fray on Usenet (for those of you who still know what that is).

1. Is it nessisary to read books to ne informed on the issues? I don't think so, but it is a terrible moral crime to not read books, that (however) is a topic for anouther time. Reading the newspaper, or being a member of a internet news site, or the like would be sufficent for this cause, would it not?

4. Is Civil/Military servic nessisary? During WWI/WWII citizens who couldn't go to war (be they too young, too old, too female, or 4F) were encouraged to do things like recycle, buy war bonds, or the like to aid the war effort. While not nessicary most of the time now a days, would such things not be suffient? Or were you counting them as one item?

6. What sites that exist currently do you think service this purpose well? The only one I know of right now is unity08.com. Got any others?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
These were the best I could come up with:

Do your share to make your school and community better

Get involved in community affairs

Stay informed; vote

Be a good neighbor

Obey laws and rules.

Protect the environment

Then I looked at what some other people had to say on the matter:

The first requisite of a good citizen in this Republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.-Theodore Roosevelt

Character is far more important than intellect in making a man a good citizen or successful at his calling- meaning by character not only such qualities as honesty and truthfulness, but courage, perseverance and self-reliance.-Theodore Roosevelt

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state-Thomas Jefferson

"A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society." -Jefferson

It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it. -
George Washington

"To blend, without coercion, the individual good and the common good is the essence of citizenship in a free country.”
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Every good citizen makes his country's honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious but as sacred. He is willing to risk his life in its defense and is conscious that he gains protection while he gives it. -Andrew Jackson

you will help run our government in the American way, then there will never be danger of our government running America in the wrong way."Omar Bradley

"Now the trumpet summons us again -- not as a call to bear arms, though arms we need -- not as a call to battle, though embattled we are -- but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle year in and year out, "rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation" -- a struggle against the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty and war itself."

“Provision for others is the fundamental responsibility of human life.''-Woodrow Wilson

"We demand entire freedom of action and then expect the government in some miraculous way to save us from the consequences of our own acts.... Self-government means self-reliance."-Calvin Coolidge

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elder, thanks for the quotes, many of them from our founding fathers. Isn't it amazing that from those few quotes you kinda get the idea that most of them felt that it was the responsibility of the individual citizen to pull duty as a soldier yet we do not have a mandatory term of service like the old Soviet Union?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
-Snaps to exaderated position of attention in present arm (aka, saluting)-
"Elder, sir, Grunt Cuong Nhu-ka reporting for duty SIR! SIR, Grunt Cuong Nhu-ka wishes you to make a patriot out of me, SIR!"

Just kidding, but that's a pretty good list... Sir.

Latest Discussions