'Okinawan Karate'

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's never a waste to reply, as others also welcome solid information.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dancingalone wrote:
"I must have been under a rock...

I am sorry I wasted the time replying in a serious fashion to this guy."

The time is yours to either waste or gain. I guess it depends on why you originally posted and how you define success. If a person posts to change the opinion (sooo tempting to write opine...sigh) of the person they are replying to, and considers success only if that person immediately changes course and opinion, then yes time and effort are often wasted. But, if a person chooses to reply to a thread with the intention to share good information, as a chance to explore their own opinion (twice resisted, getting stronger), a chance to draw out and explore others opinions (thrice and still stronger), an opportunity to plant a seed, and or just an opportunity to practice crafting a reply and practice and strengthen their own communication skills, then is the time taken to reply ever wasted? It all depends on intent and definition of success, at least that is my opine. (sigh, so weak)

Regards
Brian King

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the latest issue of Classical Fighting Arts, they were discussing their Rengokai trips to Okinawa and made mention that Isshin-Ryu was recently recognized as an official style of Okinawan karate under the leadership of Tsuyoshi Uechi.

So, the offical styles recognized as Okinawan Karate are.

Shorin-Ryu
Goju-Ryu
Uechi-Ryu
Isshin-Ryu

Up until this point, Isshin-Ryu was recognized as a subset of Shorin-Ryu

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
... while Chung Do Kwan's were essentially wing chun punches converted to the korean horizontal strike which has existed since even before subak as a style did. Jhoon Rhee created Chung Do Kwan, as a style heavily influenced by his time training with Bruce Lee, to whom he taught how to execute TKD's powerful kicks. I can only imagine what would have happened if Bruce Lee did Muai Thai. Maybe the sun would explode with awesomeness?.....

I really did not want to go through each individual sentence you wrote so I chose this as a general spot of your wrongfulness. Do yourself a favor and never...and I do mean never, speak on the topic Korean TKD history again. I cannot even begin to explain how wrong you are. If there was a planet of right people you would 70 solar systems and at least 3 alternate universes away from that planet.

I honestly cannot tell if your ignorance is just that great or if you are just an awesome troll drawing me into your world with each chalkboard scrapping sentence you write. Please for the love of humanity do some real research before you post.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i really did not want to go through each individual sentence you wrote so i chose this as a general spot of your wrongfulness. Do yourself a favor and never...and i do mean never, speak on the topic korean tkd history again. I cannot even begin to explain how wrong you are. If there was a planet of right people you would 70 solar systems and at least 3 alternate universes away from that planet.

I honestly cannot tell if your ignorance is just that great or if you are just an awesome troll drawing me into your world with each chalkboard scrapping sentence you write. Please for the love of humanity do some real research before you post.

hahahahaha!

+1!

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really did not want to go through each individual sentence you wrote so I chose this as a general spot of your wrongfulness. Do yourself a favor and never...and I do mean never, speak on the topic Korean TKD history again. I cannot even begin to explain how wrong you are. If there was a planet of right people you would 70 solar systems and at least 3 alternate universes away from that planet.

Yes. He's wrong. No, this isn't the way to go about it. Polite discussion applies to Zenjael too.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get to the OP but had to clear some collateral damage alonge the way. :)

Ian would be a bit miffed K Man, he's a Wado Ryu guy not Shotokan! I've done a few seminars with him now and he is brilliant. Go across to his website and join us on his forum ( cheeky advertising lol)
http://iainabernethy.co.uk/

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ian would be a bit miffed K Man, he's a Wado Ryu guy not Shotokan! I've done a few seminars with him now and he is brilliant. Go across to his website and join us on his forum ( cheeky advertising lol)
http://iainabernethy.co.uk/

OMG!! Nooo!

This guy is one of the most inspirational men in the martial arts and I was sure he was Shotokan. Even his kata looks like Shotokan. I suppose I might be forgiven seeing that Wado Ryu has roots in Shotokan. All his books talk about Funakoshi and I think I must have just assumed he was Shotokan.

Oh! I am so sorry! Iain, please forgive me. { .. grovel .. }

My shame is too much to bear. :seppuku:

(actually I am on his forum, just haven't visited for a while.)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG!! Nooo!

This guy is one of the most inspirational men in the martial arts and I was sure he was Shotokan. Even his kata looks like Shotokan. I suppose I might be forgiven seeing that Wado Ryu has roots in Shotokan. All his books talk about Funakoshi and I think I must have just assumed he was Shotokan.

Oh! I am so sorry! Iain, please forgive me. { .. grovel .. }

My shame is too much to bear. :seppuku:

(actually I am on his forum, just haven't visited for a while.)

ROFLMAO! The katas are so similiar that they are the same in many cases, there's taletell differences though, Wado has less deep stances and certain moves like knife hands and 'rising' blocks are more upright.

In reference to this thread though, Iain is an inspiration, he is also a Judoka but never instructs or talks about anything he doesn't understand or has worked out for himself, he doesn't boast of doing a dozen martial arts and is actually always pleased if he can learn something from someone, he's very funny too, he has a way of engaging with people so you don't feel stupid when you can't do a technique he'll suggest another way for you to do it. He's very much a down to earth guy. The OP would do very well to sit at Iain's feet metaphorically at least if not in person and learn a thing or two.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes. He's wrong. No, this isn't the way to go about it. Polite discussion applies to Zenjael too.
I understand what you are saying, but there is wrong and then there is "Please put down the crack pipe" wrong. I have had 8 year olds give me a better Korean TKD history report than this. The information is out there but there was obviously no research done on his behalf. Sorry but after reading several of his threads, his post rings of trolling.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's never a waste to reply, as others also welcome solid information.
And here lies the most important part. On a public forum you are never talking to one poster. As soon as it becomes just you and them, then you have a bunch of spectators waiting to see what you or they will say next. Just a little side note, carry on.................

Latest Discussions