OF all the

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's weird, but I have developed over my life a tendency to attack an opponents lead arm and follow it into their body where I then try to take control of the head / neck. Gross motor control - not small circle stuff

It's weird because I developed this preference outside of the training floor. I was taught to fight like a kickboxer for many years before I was taught to close and grapple, but I have always tended to like it up close and personal in any real encounter.

the technique of following the arm was never actually taught to me at all as we tended to try to divert the limbs away and slip them to attack the trunk, but I just naturally feel comfortable trying to control the arm for some reason.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started this thread but never said what I seem to use most.
Outside of being aware of my surroundings and listening to that inner sense about danger I think I tend to parry/block many things that approach me. I work with people who may strike at you at any time but I can not hurt them in any way and I find that often my arm or hand has removed a strike without my even thinking about it. I find that I tend to block/parry and often softly lock the hand or arm that is coming at me while my other hand is doing something else and I am talking about a totally different subject. This block/parry has become almost a natural reaction.
Now if I could only remember to turn away from the door frames instead of into them. I have a bad habit of kissing door frames with out meaning to

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, I see I never really answered the 'one technique' part of the question, and since there's now a whole thread on how terrible it is not to answer a straight up question on favorite technique with a straight up 'technique' answer (wouldn't want to let attitude or strategy in to confuse the tactical question), here's my favorite technique: divert his attacking limb and move into him, breaking his distance/taking his center; then, slam him to the ground. Works for me in training and in life. Of course, there are myriad combos and possibilities, but this is the heart of my favorite technique.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pull a guy halfway through a doorway and slam the door on him repeatedly. Kick a car door closed a couple times on omeone's leg as they get out of the car. I like doors, they're on my team. I hope that counts as a technique. It's one I've used before a couple times.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
The one technique I use on a daily basis is the rear kick. I use it when the fridge door doesn't close fully as I'm walking away. My wife hates that.

Latest Discussions