Is there a technique too brutal for you to use?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
What costume, the saam? It's the traditional uniform in many, many schools.

Typical only the instructor wears one. Sometimes senior students.

It's actually reinforced cotton, very strong, and made in Chinatown.
I know what it is... I just don’t go in for the claptrap, no matter how “traditional” it might be. It’s fine for ceremony and fancy dinner, I’m not training in that.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know what it is... I just don’t go in for the claptrap, no matter how “traditional” it might be. It’s fine for ceremony and fancy dinner, I’m not training in that.
I've never owned one myself.

I train in sweat wicking gear, exclusively.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who cares a damn for that? It’s 2022 in USA. We are not living in 18th century China. Should we be scared the lineage police will come get us? Pretty sure the Tong have better things to do these days.
I do, because I don't want to erk people on this board.

People get really sensitive about their sifus online. There are whole web forums devoted to it.

This is a particularly controversial subject. Here's a good take on it. This is probably one of the best researched articles on the 10 Hands you'll find.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do, because I don't want to erk people on this board.

People get really sensitive about their sifus online. There are whole web forums devoted to it.

This is a particularly controversial subject. Here's a good take on it. This is probably one of the best researched articles on the 10 Hands you'll find.

Ok I read it. I watched the video of their students too. I didn’t see anything controversial, so to speak. I am still wondering why any of this is a thing. It’s very basic stuff. Is somebody claiming they have a patent on cuffing ears? That is ridiculous in the extreme. “I cuff ears better because its our tradition to cuff ears”. …And we wonder why the MMA/BJJ crowd scoffs at us. Let the 10,000 ways guide us back.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep. It’s hard to take a kick there. I have caught one behind the cup before. My fruit salad got over ripe.
Did you catch that articles take on the oil check?

They said it was BS.

Most people think the oil check is a single digit. It can be a whole fist, foot.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever learned something, so effective, and brutal that you question the morality of ever using it on another human being?

Ever, it's probably a strong word use. But certainly this particular technique is so harsh, and brutal that it's not one of your go-to moves, because using it would require a serious moral decision on your part.

For me one of those techniques is the spinning elbow. It just seems so unbelievably devastating, and potentially life-altering that I do not think of it in my mind like throwing other elbows. It is something special, horrible, tricky and beautiful. I would never throw it without making a conscious moral decision that somebody deserved that technique in particular.

Do you have a technique you feel this way about?

Was sparring this third degree brown belt once did not mean to but caught him above his eye with a elbow. But in this day and age anything is on my menu in the street cause people don’t care anymore!!! And don’t even think about letting me allow ya to go to your car and/or home to allow ya to get something!!!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Use firemen's carry to lift your opponent over your shoulder and then smash his head onto the hard ground can be one of those "brutal techniques".

lai_tai.jpg

JD Natan

White Belt
Reaction score
Was sparring this third degree brown belt once did not mean to but caught him above his eye with a elbow. But in this day and age anything is on my menu in the street cause people don’t care anymore!!! And don’t even think about letting me allow ya to go to your car and/or home to allow ya to get something!!!
No. There are none. When dealing with non-consential violence the rules go out the door. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Latest Discussions