if you had only one tech to teach for self defence, which one would it be?

WesJones

White Belt
Reaction score

Let's put it this way: say your little sister is going on gap year trip and all of a sudden you realise you won't be here to help her if anything happens. Still you'd like to teach her some techniques for self defence purpose.

The problem is you just have time for one tech (not the full system). So which one would you choose?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give her a can of pepper spray or a rape alarm. As for what, guess it would depend on what you're sister could relate to. I advised mine to take up Kung Fu or Kickboxing. She chose the latter, although at some point I hope for the former.

In this instance maybe a little bit of Krav? It would be useful;l to the peeps around here if you could cite what you do? You will get some amazing advice from the martial artists around here :)

Welcome to Martial Talk btw.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Prime_Nutshot.jpg

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey love the way you knock these up. Wonder if you do tattoos. Take it that is Megatron?

Looks like G1 Megatron to me but I am not sure, not that big a Transformers fan. I dont have any tattoos, been thinking about getting one now and then but never got around to it. Some of my friends do tattoos, you might even say addicted lol

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say teach her not to procrastinate, but it would appear to be too late...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This technique should have both offense and defense in it. I would teach the "rhino guard".

- Lock both hands together as a big fist.
- Keep both arm "stiff".
- Hide our head behind your arms.
- Aim your big fist at your opponent's face.
- Run toward your opponent as a mad man.

Here is the "offense" part. For training, you hit on your opponent's chest instead of to hit on his head.

and here is the "defense" part.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This technique should have both offense and defense in it. I would teach the "rhino guard".

- Keep both arm "stiff".

Here is the "offense" part. For training, you hit on your opponent's chest instead of to hit on his head.

Hated it! :kiss::dummy1:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dependent on height, a Glasgow Kiss.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would do something similar but you cover your head and use the elbows as a weapon.
Of course you can bend your "stiff" arms and change it into elbow striking when the distance has changed. That will be the 2nd technique (or modified technique) and not the "only technique".

The follow clip shows how you may fight with handcuff on and how many different ways that you can use your "rhino guard".

- 56.com

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

- Keep both arm "stiff".

Just my thoughts ...

If her reactions and learning ability are good enough to effectively use that without a lot of practice, you could demonstrate a lot of other techniques that she could immediately learn as well. In order to use the double-fist you must lock the fingers. Can she release them when needed? Looking at the clips, especially in the first,

- Keep both arm "stiff".

Just my thoughts, but ...

The guy in the black T-shirt is apparently a fighter, but isn't really being effective in blocking the 2nd and 3rd strikes, especially the uppercut. Also, there is the fact that your fists will be partially/somewhat locked which may not be a good thing. That technique may have some advantages with an experienced fighter against an otherwise difficult opponent, but I would not personally want to use it. Maybe if a kick to the knee is added ...

I would suggest a kick to the knee to begin with, then run fast. But it is hard to cover all defense needs with only one technique.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Only one technique? Front leg front kick. Use it to create some space/temporarily wind/distract before legging it. That's what I'd teach/tell my sister.....if I had a sister.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only one technique? Front leg front kick. Use it to create some space/temporarily wind/distract before legging it. That's what I'd teach/tell my sister.....if I had a sister.

I do mate, and she is not really that interested in fighting stuff, but like me she shares that attitude thing. Basically no one would be stupid enough. The OP's sister seems a little less street wise, fight dirty is what I would say. A stamp on a foot, would create just as much space imho.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do mate, and she is not really that interested in fighting stuff, but like me she shares that attitude thing. Basically no one would be stupid enough. The OP's sister seems a little less street wise, fight dirty is what I would say. A stamp on a foot, would create just as much space imho.
Good point and less effort required training it. Yea, if there was no desire to learn/practice one technique then I'd say go for something dirty (groin strike, foot stamp...etc) and do a runner straight afterwards.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Let's put it this way: say your little sister is going on gap year trip and all of a sudden you realise you won't be here to help her if anything happens. Still you'd like to teach her some techniques for self defence purpose.

The problem is you just have time for one tech (not the full system). So which one would you choose?

Well, I'm going to take a different route, away from the physical side, and say that the best thing that I could teach, would be some good old fashion awareness and common sense. Try to know a little about the area you're going to, if you're going to be with others, try to use the buddy system, if you're going to a bar/club, keep your eye on your drink, don't draw extra attention to yourself by flashing lots of money or wearing fancy, expensive jewelry, etc.

Latest Discussions