Is there a technique too brutal for you to use?

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the question from your original post:

I do not question the morality of ever using any of my techniques, up to and including pulling the trigger on a firearm. I do base my decision on what level of force to use based on the situation, but I do not question the morality of using everything in my power if needed.
"If needed" "Decision" "Based on the situation"

What are we arguing about? You are saying the same thing as me.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you might be hard pressed to beat a guy to death. Regardless of the motivation to do so.
I think you might be hard pressed to beat a guy to death. Regardless of the motivation to do so.
Beating takes on the connotation of a sustained action. In weapon training we concentrate on what can be done in 2 or 3 seconds. Although we train for many different scenarios, in weapon defense we seriously try not to spar. After training in stick/blade, things that will definitely kill you, it’s hard for me to think of a non armed confrontation as a deadly threat. Also, if someone pulls a knife on me at 4/5 feet away, I’m more likely to think scare tactic and a “here, take my wallet” moment.

Many many decades ago, I saw a guy parry a punch and clothesline trip the attacker. The attacker went down hard a spilt his head open. The defender freaked out, took his shirt off to help stop the bleeding. Police and ambulance came. I witnessed the self defense along with others. I don’t think the defender was ever charged, since I was never contacted. The initial physical confrontation took less than two seconds. Life changing two seconds.

Last edited:

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's leg twist. Instead of using right leg to twist on your opponent's left leg, your use right leg to twist on his right leg. In training, you may release your twisting early to protect your opponent.

As far as I know, the leg twisting is not allowed to be used in Judo tournament.

Your first video did show right leg attacking right leg... just like osoto gari. Now you say that instead of using your right leg to attack his left leg... use your right leg to attack his right leg... yet the new video, clearly shows the right leg attacking the left leg???

This one is called Ouchi Gari:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your first video did show right leg attacking right leg... just like osoto gari. Now you say that instead of using your right leg to attack his left leg... use your right leg to attack his right leg... yet the new video, clearly shows the right leg attacking the left leg???

This one is called Ouchi Gari:
There are different leg skill.

1. Slant cut (osoto gari) is either a 45 degree upward force.
2. Inner hook (Ouchi Gari) is a horizontal force.
3. Outer leg twist is a vertical downward force.

Both 1 and 2 are used to move your opponent's leg to be off the ground. 3 is used to control your opponent's leg and don't allow it to move.

1. Slant cut.

Lin-slant-cut-1.gif

2. Inner hook

Chang-inner-hook.gif

3. Outer leg twist

my-upper-leg-bite.gif

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The "leg twisting" is an interested technique. For all the throwing skill. I can always find a solo drill to train it. But there exist no solo drill for the "leg twisting". The missing solo drill for this technique is still a mystery to me.

JD Natan

White Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever learned something, so effective, and brutal that you question the morality of ever using it on another human being?

Ever, it's probably a strong word use. But certainly those paving re
particular technique is so harsh, and brutal that it's not one of your go-to moves, because using it would require a serious moral decision on your part.

For me one of those techniques is the spinning elbow. It just seems so unbelievably devastating, and potentially life-altering that I do not think of it in my mind like throwing other elbows. It is something special, horrible, tricky and beautiful. I would never throw it without making a conscious moral decision that somebody deserved that technique in particular.

Do you have a technique you feel this way about?

No. Everything has its time to use. If someone attacks me, my only rule is don't get dead. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

r.d.mcdaniel

White Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever learned something, so effective, and brutal that you question the morality of ever using it on another human being?

Ever, it's probably a strong word use. But certainly this particular technique is so harsh, and brutal that it's not one of your go-to moves, because using it would require a serious moral decision on your part.

For me one of those techniques is the spinning elbow. It just seems so unbelievably devastating, and potentially life-altering that I do not think of it in my mind like throwing other elbows. It is something special, horrible, tricky and beautiful. I would never throw it without making a conscious moral decision that somebody deserved that technique in particular.

I trained in Kyokushin Karate. for a kill after a take down, when everyone else would do a punch to the head ( which probably would not end the fight ) Instead we would pull on the opponents leg to get them as flat as possible and then stomp the head, we would actually stomp right next to their head. This would likely end the fight and possibly kill the person. Would I actually use that? only if my opponent was trying to kill me.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a set of southern CMA called the Sup Juet Sao (10 Killing Hands), devoted to injuring your opponent (put together by a physician no less).

There's a technique for rupturing your opponents eardrums in there. I'll dig up some pics.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ever, it's probably a strong word use. But certainly this particular technique is so harsh, and brutal that it's not one of your go-to moves, because using it would require a serious moral decision on your part.

He fell down after connecting. I don’t see anything too deadly there.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a set of southern CMA called the Sup Juet Sao (10 Killing Hands), devoted to injuring your opponent (put together by a physician no less).

There's a technique for rupturing your opponents eardrums in there. I'll dig up some pics.

The 10 Hands are kind of a sensitive subject, so I'll try to give a balanced overview.

Here's a typical Lam (AKA Butcher Wing) family description.

Here's a video from New York Hung Ga, just a demo, but notice the names have changed a little. This is a Dang Fong school, as you can see by the Sun Toi. This sifu is pretty fast.

Great old post about this on KFM forum from a training cousin of mine.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
The 10 Hands are kind of a sensitive subject, so I'll try to give a balanced overview.

Here's a video from New York Hung Ga, just a demo, but notice the names have changed a little. This is a Dang Fong school, as you can see by the Sun Toi. This sifu is pretty fast.

Well that was 6 minutes I will never get back. No disrespect intended to you or them, I am commenting purely on the quality(or the lack thereof) demonstrated in the video. Not very fast, and wholly unimpressive (silly costume notwithstanding).

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Why in the world is this “Sensitive subject”? It’s just basic stuff being performed by a mediocre(at best) practitioner.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well that was 6 minutes I will never get back. No disrespect intended to you or them, I am commenting purely on the quality(or the lack thereof) demonstrated in the video. Not very fast, and wholly unimpressive (silly costume notwithstanding).
What costume, the saam? It's the traditional uniform in many, many schools.

Typical only the instructor wears one. Sometimes senior students.

It's actually reinforced cotton, very strong, and made in Chinatown.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions