Notebooks

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many of you have a notebook in which you've used as a MA journal, writing down techniques, kata, etc. from your early days of training? What about one that you use when you attend seminars?

When I first started training, after each class, I'd write down any new techniques I learned. I'd even go so far as attempting to write out kata, although that can be a bit difficult.

For seminars, I usually bring a notebook with me, to jot down the material covered. Usually things are moving at a quick pace, so its hard to take solid notes, but I usually try to re-write things ASAP, due to the fact that there have been many times, I'd go back and look at what I wrote and was unable to figure it out. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For seminars, I usually bring a notebook with me, to jot down the material covered. Usually things are moving at a quick pace, so its hard to take solid notes, but I usually try to re-write things ASAP, due to the fact that there have been many times, I'd go back and look at what I wrote and was unable to figure it out. :)

I hear ya MJS..At the seminar I did in Halifax there were about 1/2 dozen MA/LEO's there...After the GM would show a technique we's run to the end of the mat, bow out and start writing...The bowing rule was suspended, but old habits die hard...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think having a notebook is a great thing. I doubt highly that I would be this far along without my handy dandy notebook. I actually have a binder that has my techniques in it twice. Once when I take my notes down in one of those little spiral bound notebooks, usually immediately following a class. The second time is where I type them up on the computer in a more organized manner then print it out and give it the three-hole punch for easy reference. This 'double entry' method really helps the techniques and concepts sink in.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I wait until lunch or after the seminar is over to take notes, immediately after the portion is shown is when you are supposed to be working out, not writing things down.

But yes, I write everything down, and it is something we recommend to all our students. For me the process of writing makes me think through the movement, and locks in the memory a bit better.

Lamont

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have every technique I've learned written down, as well as a few forms. The most important thing I have is the written notes from the lectures.

I tell my students to start taking notes in the very beginning of their training. I've lost several incredible northern forms because I never wrote them down.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In our organization, we keep a goal portfollio to record the times training & teaching, etc. This is a great help to encourage me in my training. I do take notes when I go to seminars & things, also.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have a system where what we are learning at each stage is kept on the instructors computers, then after we've graded, they are printed out and we all get a sheet with what we are about to learn on it (actually we tend to learn things a few grades ahead so we have plenty of time to practice but you know what I mean). That way, we don't need to make notes.

I do have my own note books though, with everthing in it that I have to learn for all my colour belts, patterns, techniques and korean for everything, I go through this about 3 times a week and I'm always thinking thorugh techniques in my head.. I know I'm a bit obsessive but then we all obsess about something... don't we? :uhoh:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a system where what we are learning at each stage is kept on the instructors computers, then after we've graded, they are printed out and we all get a sheet with what we are about to learn on it (actually we tend to learn things a few grades ahead so we have plenty of time to practice but you know what I mean). That way, we don't need to make notes.

Pampered! ;)

I do have my own note books though, with everthing in it that I have to learn for all my colour belts, patterns, techniques and korean for everything, I go through this about 3 times a week and I'm always thinking thorugh techniques in my head.. I know I'm a bit obsessive but then we all obsess about something... don't we? :uhoh:

OK, then. Since you obsess like me, guess you pass. :high5:

Seriously, I have shelves full of notebooks--even print out things some people write here on MT. :ultracool

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Except for some notes I have taken in years past regarding verbal lectures and information, I don't take notes. Anything physical, I practice it and mentally go over it until I understand it. I have never written down descriptions of techniques because I don't learn that way. I learn by practice and physically doing it. I will write down notes on history, philosophy, names etc. Past experience also dictates that this information tends to be already available from various sources, so writing it down in not necessary.
I have never written down forms. Since I used to teach, I did the forms every day. Writing them down was unnecessary. If I have any questions, I can call people and get answers.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my school everyone is required to have a three ring binder. Sheets are handed out to all students that specify what will be the minimum requirements for their next belt test, as well as sheets dealing with counting in Korean, the philosphy behind the art and the 5 tenets, and other stuff as well (common Korean terms, etc). You are required to bring your binders to all classes, and you will not test if you forget it on test day.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to take notes a long time ago but now I do not. Notes are good but sometimes take away from the learning happening at that moment in time. I think if you want to take notes do them after training with some of your partners while the material is still fresh. That may work the best and during the training you will not be distracted by taking notes.
icon6.gif

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wrote things in my requirements handbook until it disintegrated... then I started using other notebooks.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's great that your teacher provides this service, especially for beginners. You might want to keep your own notes, though. No matter how good the class notes are it's important to developing your own insight into what you are doing, to write down the stuff you're having trouble with and recast it in ways that make sense to you. It helps set things in your mind to a degree that simply reading someone else's notes no matter how well written can not.

As you progress the process is less one of learning new things and pulling stuff out of the curriculum than it is of using the movements as a repository and mobile memory palace for what you know. Keeping your own notes will develop that and help the later stages immensely.

Of course Brian is correct. Take the notes after class rather than during unless you have some divine epiphany that simply has to be recorded before it goes away.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My teacher always encouraged us to take notes and maintain notebooks. Writing it down serves to engrave the material on the mind in a different channel, and I need my own notes because yours may not be helpful to me. Frequently, when my teacher held seminars, the day would start with a lecture/note-taking period.

I now require my students to take notes, and penalize those who fail to bring their notebooks to class.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to take notes a long time ago but now I do not. Notes are good but sometimes take away from the learning happening at that moment in time. I think if you want to take notes do them after training with some of your partners while the material is still fresh. That may work the best and during the training you will not be distracted by taking notes.
icon6.gif
It is important to know when to take notes... I would never interrupt the teacher or lesson to write notes -- but I'll use every spare moment or break to jot something down. One of the best times for me was a stretch when I was working as a guard, and would go from class to work. I'd sit down, and write my notes out between making rounds.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the best times for me was a stretch when I was working as a guard, and would go from class to work. I'd sit down, and write my notes out between making rounds.

My problem is being able to decipher my chicken-scratch.. By the end of the day when muscles and joints are sore printing is a real task..

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The only during-class time I require my students to take notes for is during lectures, because a lot of the lectures are what I candidly refer to as "grey-matter heavy" and it's easy to miss important points if you get overwhelmed. By having all the students take notes, they get together and compare & contrast their notes and get a clearer picture of what's going on.

Everyone brings their notebooks to every class, and quite often during breaks people are seen writing down observations and making technical notes.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My teacher always encouraged us to take notes and maintain notebooks.

That is probably why I don't take notes. ;) My teacher always encouraged us to focus on the feeling of what we were doing and commiting these things to muscle memory rather than comitting them to paper. So I never got into the habit. :) As with anything it has it's pluses and minuses.

My problem is being able to decipher my chicken-scratch.. By the end of the day when muscles and joints are sore printing is a real task..

I am with you there for sure.

Then there is whole dynamic aspect of it as well. IMO, what I would write today would seem so simple to me 5 years from now that I would probably wonder why I even wrote it... Much like as if I kept my 3rd grade math work and was looking at it today to try and draw some significance from it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Then there is whole dynamic aspect of it as well. IMO, what I would write today would seem so simple to me 5 years from now that I would probably wonder why I even wrote it... Much like as if I kept my 3rd grade math work and was looking at it today to try and draw some significance from it.

But -- by going back and looking at some of that "old kiddy basics"... I've solved problems in my current training! Sometimes, a piece of something just drifts out of my memory, or even was so well absorbed that it disappeared... but then, when I needed it back "visible", it wouldn't come out! And, I've still got things in notebooks that were taught that I haven't had time to really concentrate on properly yet! I've got enough there to keep me training for at least a couple of years!

I don't think this is a right or wrong issue, either.

Latest Discussions