Taking a seminar

lcII

White Belt
Reaction score
I plan on attending a seminar (filipino martial arts) this june and was wondering about how to go about getting the most out of it. Here's my plan so far- I've ordered some books about the system, posted on the host schools website forum to try to get to know some people and a little more about things. I plan on calling up the host school, asking what I need to bring, and I also plan on taking a notebook and writing down my observations right after the seminar as well as practicing what I've learned back at the motel right afterward. Any other suggestions?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That all sounds good and just go and have fun. Do not expect to get all the nuances though as that will take a lot of repeat instruction and training.
icon6.gif

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have an open mind and relax. You are going to have a great time.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Realize you are getting a Cliff Notes edition of the taught art, a portion of it out of context, and try to use the movements in it to assimilate into natural movements of your body. Do not become a seminar junkie without also having a legit teacher who can define and illustrate how to use these snippets in the larger context. In other words, enjoy the moment, the movement, but do not think attending seminars ever substitutes for real instruction. It is a way to see what is out there.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Take alot of notes

Terry,

Do you find it better to take notes right after the instructor explains it?

After you have practiced it for a little while?

or during breaks so you can have more time to practice?

Thanks

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I plan on attending a seminar (filipino martial arts) this june and was wondering about how to go about getting the most out of it. Here's my plan so far- I've ordered some books about the system, posted on the host schools website forum to try to get to know some people and a little more about things. I plan on calling up the host school, asking what I need to bring, and I also plan on taking a notebook and writing down my observations right after the seminar as well as practicing what I've learned back at the motel right afterward. Any other suggestions?

Sounds like you're off to a good start already. A few suggestions:

1) As soon as possible, re-write your notes. There is usually not much time to write anything too in-depth during the seminar, otherwise you're going to miss something. If you write something down and don't elaborate later, you may, like I usually do, find yourself wondering what it was exactly that you were trying to write.

2) If its possible, set up a video camera in your room and tape the material. A visual aid is always a plus.

3) Don't worry about trying to remember every single thing, due to the fact that so much info. will be provided, you probably won't retain it all. I've gone to many camps and seminars, and its usually a blur. I pick a handful of things and drill the hell out of them. If I go with someone else, it usually works out good, because between the both of us, we can usually recall and help each other remember quite a bit.

4) Last but not least, and certainly, IMO, the most important thing....keep an open mind and have fun. :) Seminars are a great opportunity to experience a new art and meet new people.

Have a good time! :)

Mike

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Terry,

Do you find it better to take notes right after the instructor explains it?

After you have practiced it for a little while?

or during breaks so you can have more time to practice?

Thanks
I'd encourage all of the above.

When I'm at a clinic, I take notes any chance I get, without missing out on training or paying attention. That usually means most of my notes are scribbled during breaks. Then when I have more time, I rewrite them. I also work hard to get a lot of muscle memory of the drills and exercises, and let my notes jog my memory.

However, I'm not a fan of video cameras. They're one eyed idiots, and they often miss important details and nuances. And, in my experience, I've found that the folks who bring cameras often don't take much by way of notes... and don't recall those nuances later. And I've seen people get so obsessed with recording the event that two things happen: They miss training themselves, and they interfere with other people (read me) who are trying to train.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also recommend that you take a video camera, if they allow it. Then you can video while the instructor is teaching. I have done this and it works pretty good. Ask ahead of time and it would look better for you.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You've gotten some great advice...All I can add is make sure ya got few bottles of water with ya..

OP
L

lcII

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice. The seminar is in June and I'll let you know how it went and what ideas and advice had utility for me

Latest Discussions