How would you feel....

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
About training with an instructor/owner who has two schools,
1 school teaches something like Kung Fu and the owner teaches it himself and it appears to be a good, well run school with high standards,
but the other school teaches something like TKD, that appears to be not much more than a McDojo/day care center type school. The owner doesn't teach there, but his name is in the school name though he doesn't broadcast his connection to it in his Kung Fu school and the Kung Fu school is not named similarly to the TKD school.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would care. Actually it sounds like a fine compromise, he doesn't have to water down his core art, and has a good income maker with the McDojo. Even better if he doesn't have to teach it, that being said, why would he name the two schools the same?

Plus he can cherry pick promising students from the McDojo and give them something real. For the kids who just need an afterschool activity, well, they get that too.

Lamont

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. Maybe the dude figures he'll keep the mcdojang for making money and teach what his passion is for kicks at his school.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would agree with the above poster, the only problem is why is it everytime TKD is mention it is a McDojo?

But I believe your instructor is doing the right thing, atleast in his mind and you are in the better of the two places so it will not effect your training.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree with the above poster, the only problem is why is it everytime TKD is mention it is a McDojo?

But I believe your instructor is doing the right thing, atleast in his mind and you are in the better of the two places so it will not effect your training.

Well definately we know Terry that there are many, many TKD Dojang's that are not McDojo's.

As to the origional question I would be interested to see how this works out. It is an interesting situation. However if you are happy training with this instructor and what is taught then that is really what counts.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was using a direct analysis of the first post. No insinuations need be drawn. :)

However. The vast majority of TKD schools I've had interactions with have all been of the mcdojang variety, however, and therefore where the most often seen opinions of TKD are thusly derived.

Practical applications and reliable self defense are not parts of the curriculum I've seen emphasized nearly as much as sport interests in any TKD school I've visited. (I count eleven off the top of my head, for the record.)

That said, there are only about THREE total schools I've visited out of more than 50 that make self defense and practical application their priority.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was using a direct analysis of the first post. No insinuations need be drawn. :)

However. The vast majority of TKD schools I've had interactions with have all been of the mcdojang variety, however, and therefore where the most often seen opinions of TKD are thusly derived.

Practical applications and reliable self defense are not parts of the curriculum I've seen emphasized nearly as much as sport interests in any TKD school I've visited. (I count eleven off the top of my head, for the record.)

That said, there are only about THREE total schools I've visited out of more than 50 that make self defense and practical application their priority.

I'm sorry Iwishtolearn and Lamont was not really applying anything towards you just making a comment and wishhtolearn you are right to many bad apple in the barrel. Carry on with the good fight.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No worries. ;-)

I actually thought about doing something similar myself, running classes with a two tiered schemata. One would be the cookie cutter fitness sport style, and the other the real deal. As Lamont pointed out - it'd be a money maker and it'd allow me to pick and choose the best prospects to "graduate" to the higher level classes.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No worries. ;-)

I actually thought about doing something similar myself, running classes with a two tiered schemata. One would be the cookie cutter fitness sport style, and the other the real deal. As Lamont pointed out - it'd be a money maker and it'd allow me to pick and choose the best prospects to "graduate" to the higher level classes.

Actually this does not seem like a bad ideal, he get to train those hard that wants it and also allows himself the oppotunity to make some money at the same time.

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sorry, TKD probably gets a bad rap sometimes just because there are so many schools, in this instance though it is just what is taught at the second school. I don't train there and have no desire to, but am looking into and considering the kung fu school.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unless he also teach at the other school it doesn`t really mean anything. I find that many high ranking instructors have ties to other schools that teach totally different stuff. However if he is in fact also running a bona fide McDoco trough other instructors I`d not want to train with him.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
About training with an instructor/owner who has two schools,
1 school teaches something like Kung Fu and the owner teaches it himself and it appears to be a good, well run school with high standards,
but the other school teaches something like TKD, that appears to be not much more than a McDojo/day care center type school. The owner doesn't teach there, but his name is in the school name though he doesn't broadcast his connection to it in his Kung Fu school and the Kung Fu school is not named similarly to the TKD school.

Personally, regardless of the art that is being taught at each school, if I had two schools, I'd want them both of the same quality. Speaking for myself, if I had the choice to train at either one, I'd pick the one that was more focused on teaching and giving the students quality material, rather than a belt factory.

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, regardless of the art that is being taught at each school, if I had two schools, I'd want them both of the same quality. Speaking for myself, if I had the choice to train at either one, I'd pick the one that was more focused on teaching and giving the students quality material, rather than a belt factory.

Mike

I would have to absolutely agree that if I was running two schools I would want a very, very high level of quality at both.
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions