Notebooks

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with folks not taking notes, it's the idea that a teacher would think what he has to share is not worth the effort. For me, it seems that cheapens both my effort and their involvement. I'm not trying to be judgemental or argumentative, just trying to understand your perspective.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got notebooks and handouts going back to the mid 70's and I find myself referring to them often. So many times, something that I jotted down from my sensei didn't seem important at the time but a few years down the road, I'd look at my notebook and it would directly relate to something I was working on right then.

Assuming that if you don't remember it, it must not be important may work for some folks, but I know just how capable I am of forgetting important stuff.

Truer words were never typed....I have notes and handouts from EVERY MA seminar or LEO class that I've ever attended..Excellent reference materals...

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
this thread is killing me - I ws up till almost 1 am last night looking over old notes - I'll prob'ly do it again tonight.

so much that I've forgotten or neglected...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
this thread is killing me - I ws up till almost 1 am last night looking over old notes - I'll prob'ly do it again tonight.

so much that I've forgotten or neglected...
Ain't it amazing when you open up an old notebook, and find some drill or exercise that you haven't worked since it was first taught that answers just what you needed today... Or find some little piece that you'd absorbed so thoroughly you've forgotten it, and it's why your student isn't having the success you expect?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with folks not taking notes, it's the idea that a teacher would think what he has to share is not worth the effort. For me, it seems that cheapens both my effort and their involvement. I'm not trying to be judgemental or argumentative, just trying to understand your perspective.

My opinions are if you have to remember it via notes, you truly haven't made it your own. To me they are just distant and fuzzy memories archived in a book preserved as when they were scribbled on the pages.

I believe it is far more disrespectful to the instructor to give less than 110% in class, I should be doing instead of writing.

I couldn't tell you how many times I have seen someone run to go take notes and miss a very important and crucial nugget of information, because they were too worried about writing it down on their notepad.

I have missed things for just taking the time to whisper something about the training to a training partner while the instructor was demonstrating or talking. Yes, I shouldn't have said anything, but that shows how quickly crucial things can be missed.

Taking notes after class and stuff like that is fine, but my perception of things after class isn't always the same as they are 3 days later or a month later.

Hopefully that helps.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's never occurred to me to take notes during class. I'll jot down comments or sketch during breaks or after class.

As for giving 110%, to me that implies that I don't quit training when I leave the dojo. Notes help clarify faulty memories and no one remembers perfectly.

I guess it all comes down to what works for the individual. If you believe that you can retain enough without notes or out of class study, great. For me, I need all the help I can get.

I was blessed with a sensei who didn't mind me calling him at home to ask him to explain or elaborate on techniques. He was also gracious enough to let me visit and train with him on weekends. Even with my being in the dojo 6 days a week for over 10 years, I still missed important facts. Thank God for notes.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
but those who may be well versed in learning theory, please cut me some slack in order to allow me at least a chance to make a worthy point. :asian: Thank you

Certainly, I'm positive most of us aren't versed in learning theory even though some of us are... and a few like me, will need reminding....

And that point is? A notebook is mostly superfluous to kinesthetic people. Just as talking at visual people is mostly dead air. Example from a guy who's been married decades: My wife used to tell me what to pick up at the store. She remembers what she's told, so what's the problem? The problem is, I remember nothing I'm told (could just be a hard head, too), but almost everything I see, and definitely the things I see which I also value. So, for a couple of decades, she'd send me to the store for maybe 7-8 items, and I'd always come home with the wrong stuff. I felt lower than low. How could this happen to me? I finally convinced her I needed her to write it down (Why, stupid?), and then I started getting it right--perfect, I might add. :mst:

I have read through all these posts feeling quote confused at why I don't feel that my own note taking would help me much beyond what I get provided, however your post reminds me that I don't learn this way. I learn through discovery, experimenting and doing. re-reading something I've written leaves me cold and switches me off. In fact, one of the ways that I learn is to tell someone what I need to do, show them and then things come flooding back to me and I remember. I often forget to even look at notebooks, but a folder with lists in it is something I can refer to that will job my memory.

As I get higher up the food chain I'm sure note taking will become more important to me, but even then I can't be sure I've not misswed anything out. I'd rather buy a book, or use my teachers notes, highlight what I consider important in one colour, things I need to rote learn in another and so on. I guess I just learn better that way.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's never occurred to me to take notes during class. I'll jot down comments or sketch during breaks or after class.

As for giving 110%, to me that implies that I don't quit training when I leave the dojo. Notes help clarify faulty memories and no one remembers perfectly.

I guess it all comes down to what works for the individual. If you believe that you can retain enough without notes or out of class study, great. For me, I need all the help I can get.

I was blessed with a sensei who didn't mind me calling him at home to ask him to explain or elaborate on techniques. He was also gracious enough to let me visit and train with him on weekends. Even with my being in the dojo 6 days a week for over 10 years, I still missed important facts. Thank God for notes.

That is cool! :) I just try to train as often as I can. :) I do read often, but not my notes, but books from others in the art. They aren't my notes, but I guess they could be notes (so to speak). ;)

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
[/i]

Certainly, I'm positive most of us aren't versed in learning theory even though some of us are... and a few like me, will need reminding....

I have read through all these posts feeling quote confused at why I don't feel that my own note taking would help me much beyond what I get provided, however your post reminds me that I don't learn this way. I learn through discovery, experimenting and doing. re-reading something I've written leaves me cold and switches me off. In fact, one of the ways that I learn is to tell someone what I need to do, show them and then things come flooding back to me and I remember. I often forget to even look at notebooks, but a folder with lists in it is something I can refer to that will job my memory.

As I get higher up the food chain I'm sure note taking will become more important to me, but even then I can't be sure I've not misswed anything out. I'd rather buy a book, or use my teachers notes, highlight what I consider important in one colour, things I need to rote learn in another and so on. I guess I just learn better that way.

Well I have to say that notebooks are a great thing even for Auditory and Kinesthetic learners like me. Sure the notebooks mean very little while I'm actually writting them down after the class, but 15 years later? From a weekend seminar? I don't care how you learn - unless your memory is damn near perfect you have forgotten something! I have always felt very blessed to be one of those guys that just gets it pretty quick. My quick level of proficiency has been commented on several times by many different teachers, but that's because I learn by listening and doing - perfect for a seminar environment. My short term memory is also very good (all those years of theatre), but after the training is over and the weeks go by, little things the teacher said fade and the reality of training a new technique without constant reinforcment sets in - That's when the notebooks are worth their weight in gold.

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with most of you too. Taking notes during class is, in my opinion, not recommended. But taking notes after the lesson or during breaks is important. Although I've been out of the training scene for many years, I'm back now and more dedicated then ever. I recently pulled out my old note book to review my old HRD forms. What a mess! So my 2 cents are this... Write your notes. Compare your notes with others (very important). Rewrite your notes (or add to your original notes) with A DIFFERENT COLOR PEN each time you edit.

I picked up the technique using different colors in college when I studied Geology at ASU. Using different colors allows the reader/writer to see how their notes progressed over time. Hopefully you see the value in understanding the progression of the edited notes. ~Cheers!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got notebooks and handouts going back to the mid 70's and I find myself referring to them often. So many times, something that I jotted down from my sensei didn't seem important at the time but a few years down the road, I'd look at my notebook and it would directly relate to something I was working on right then.

Assuming that if you don't remember it, it must not be important may work for some folks, but I know just how capable I am of forgetting important stuff.

I agree with this exactly and keep a notebook for just this reason! I do seem to have a good memory and I always think at the time that I remember the important stuff, but when I make myself write it down I can go back later and find something important that was important at the time. I don't often write down actual techniques (unless it's just a quick reminder of the technique while I am still learning it) but I mostly write down summeries of conversations I have had with my instructor, as far as philosophy or history or how to approach certain problem students or parents, etc. It is those conversations that really still speak to me later on (and I don't even have stuff that is years and years old to look back at yet!)

I have also been keeping a seperate notebook for almost a year now. In that one I just write down what kind of class I was in (kids class, adult class, review for test class, etc) and then write down everything we did. I try to do this all the time, but I really make sure to do it when it was an extra-good class (either a really good workout, or a new drill or way of doing something). Then, on occasion when I am teaching and want to change things up a little bit, or make sure I really focus on a particluar aspect I can go back and look in my notebook and find pages and pages of good drills and exercises. For example: I taught a class of about 10 young men who wanted a really good workout a week or so ago, and all I had to do was go back and find all the "best" hard workout drills from previous classes and string them all together. It really helps keep training exciting when you have lots of exciting drills right there at your fingertips that you might not be able to think of at a moments notice.

utb1528

White Belt
Reaction score
I think taking notes is a great idea for seminars. The student should wait until a break or after the seminar.

I always forget my notebook though :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think taking notes is a great idea for seminars. The student should wait until a break or after the seminar.

Absolutely!!!! Now I've been to seminars where the Grandmaster or Instructor will ask "Do you all have photographic memories? No? Then where are your notebooks?"

utb1528 said:
I always forget my notebook though :)

It should be the FIRST thing you put in your training bag..

Latest Discussions