Notebooks

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently, or in the past, are notebooks a part of your Kenpo journey? Are they required? Have you written down everything you've learned, just parts you have trouble with, or nothing?

My first instructor required notebooks and told us to write everything down as though we were either telling someone over the phone or telling a blind person. This ends up making you be very detailed in your note-writing. Later, no other instructor I've had has required them, but I was so used to writing everything by the time my first instructor moved away, that I realized the importance of having notes. Since the beginning of my Kenpo journey, I have had several times where Kenpo was not available to me and my notes have proved to be quite a help in those times for things to practice, things to re-learn or things to clarify.

Anyone else?

Thanks-
:asian: :karate:

G

gman

I have been thinking of keeping notes or a diary of some sort a lot lately. I am still very new to the art and I thought it might be nice to reflect on the past for some inspiration once in a while. Also to laugh at myself for some of the things I thought were difficult to learn.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shodan
Currently, or in the past, are notebooks a part of your Kenpo journey? Are they required? Have you written down everything you've learned, just parts you have trouble with, or nothing? Thanks-

Although I don't require anyone to keep an "Accumulative Journal", it is an extremely good idea. I have a very elaborate set that I have created over the years.. in fact, I have several different types of journals for different purposes.

:asian:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't kept a notebook. I'm bad enough with my own personal journal (great at starting, but not as good in keeping up a written consistent daily/weekly log). However, I do see some benefits.

One of my friends writes down her way of how techniques are done and what her main difficulty were with these and how she overcame them. She has them categorized by belt rank.

Another one writes a daily log of what was done in class each time and the highlights of these classes.

The closest thing I have are occasional "self-letters" (basically letters I write to "someone", but were not intended to be given) about my accounts of certain life-awakening moments or lessons I learned related to martial arts. These letters span over the past 18 years. These aren't necessarily chronological and aren't notes on techniques, but more based on a certain insight or a mastery of self or regarding a concept.

I've had a few instructors who read some of these letters saying I ought to compile them into a book and publish them... I dunno if I'm ready for that as some incidents are rather personal for me.

Basically, each instructor I've had (past and present) all have their own different reasons of why notebooks could/should be kept. My current one just leaves it up to each of us whether or not we keep one and however we do it. The bottom line here is that notebooks are intended for us to keep track of our own personal progress and goal-setting.

- Ceicei

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ceicei
Basically, each instructor I've had (past and present) all have their own different reasons of why notebooks could/should be kept. - Ceicei

Yes, the choice is up to you. Mr. Parker called it the "Accumulative Journal" because it accumulates all types of data. Goals, different points of views on techniques, basics, forms, sets, etc., interesting strings on the web, the list goes on and on.

It would give you a good resource to go to on various topics as you travel thru your journey in the art and what different instructors taught you.

:asian:

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
journals and written technique descriptions are, at least to me, a double edged sword. Too little description may leave you staring blankly at the page, too much takes the heart and soul out of the motion and turns it into a game of twister... left foot on green circle. i personally opt for "less is more" and if i am stumped or something just isn't working for me, i'll humbly ask another student or my instructor.

also, i see talk of organizing techniques. well i put mine into a spreadsheet with columns such as position of attacker (front, rear, side, 2 person), type of attack (step through punch, kick, grab, headlock, weapon, etc...) and applications utilized in the technique, such as pins, locks and traps, takedowns, and working the blocks to the inside or outside). this doesn't include the actual step by step description of the technique. to practice, i use filters to select a set of techniques to work for the day.

M

MisterMike

Good to have, but I've never relied on them.

You can't have all of the information, all of the time. You should learn it, and then forget it. It will come back to you at its own choosing.

K

kenpo12

I think keeping a notebook depends on the individual. I mean, I have a notebook that has a list of the techniques and forms but nothing with a move by move breakdown. For me I can't understand techniques written down, I need to see them preformed to understand and/or remember it. For me video is the best training tool. If I forget I can always reference Mr. Tatums videos and that helps me, because if I have to read it, it might as well be written in French because my brain just doesn't work that way. I have known people though that benefit greatly from writing down their techniques and keeping a journal or notebook. To me it's an individual thing.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It so far seems like my best students are the ones who have kept notebooks and put things in their own frame of reference ... especially at first when there is so much terminology and it is all new.

Heck, I still keep notebooks, and rumor has it Mr. Parker was never without his pad and pen.

-Michael

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess it depends upon the level being taught. I guarantee if you don't keep a notebook with me you'll fail. Imagine doing something for a number of years, and never writing anything down. You just commit everything to memory. Well that tells me that what you're learning is so simplistic you can remember it, which probably also means you're not being taught very much. I go to a one hour briefing at work and come back with a stack of papers. What if you went to high school, (let alone college) and for four years you didn't write anything down. You just had to "remember." No homework, just whatever you picked up in class, and then took the tests. Wait! That sounds like some of our public schools, and we know how good some of those students are. Now imagine after they graduate, they become "teachers." I don't know about you but that should scare the bajeebas out of you, public school, college, or Kenpo. No offense but if you don't have a notebook, you must still be in pre-school heading for kindergarden. Some of us teach College.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not all of us can write - digital recording, DVD's, VCR tapes, copies of articles or posts on the internet by Seniors (or not so senior, but with great ideas), magazine articles, books, etc., can all be part of your "notebook". It does not have to be spiral bound or on a legal pad to have value.

A notebook is not just handwritten notes about what you do, but can be a framework or outline for your Art, what you have been taught, theories YOU want to test, and maybe even a map to where you want to be in Kenpo 1 year, 5 years, or 10 years from now.

We can't be too judgmental, after all, I never kept a notebook in Shotokan or Taekwondo. Of course I was younger and not as many brain cells had died.

:D
-Michael

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
Not all of us can write - digital recording, DVD's, VCR tapes, copies of articles or posts on the internet by Seniors (or not so senior, but with great ideas), magazine articles, books, etc., can all be part of your "notebook". It does not have to be spiral bound or on a legal pad to have value.

A notebook is not just handwritten notes about what you do, but can be a framework or outline for your Art, what you have been taught, theories YOU want to test, and maybe even a map to where you want to be in Kenpo 1 year, 5 years, or 10 years from now.

We can't be too judgmental, after all, I never kept a notebook in Shotokan or Taekwondo. Of course I was younger and not as many brain cells had died.

:D
-Michael

I agree that a "notebook" may take many forms. I have students who keep notes on PDA's, computers, and even hand written. My point is things must br recorded, and if you're not "recording" information and digesting lessons in a manner that may be retrieved, your lessons will suffer IF you have a knowledgeable teacher. I know dam well your students record their information, don't they? It's all about the level of the teacher, and the level someone wants to learn. Parker had reams of handwritten notes, and spent a significant amount of time transferring them when he moved into the computer age. He's the one that started me "recording." For the record, I have a black too in shotokan, and I also never took a note either. I think that speaks for itself.;)

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree- I don't know where I would be without my notebook today (Especially since I have been without a studio to practice in from time to time in my Kenpo journey). I have kept notes from the very beginning and, looking back, I really thank my first instructor for starting us on it cuz some of the subsequent teachers have not even mentioned them!! My notebook has helped me out so much- not only do I get to see how my writing has changed over the years, but also some of the tech. variations as taught by various people, etc. I also have all my personal forms written down that I've had to do for testing at certain levels- not something I practice all the time but they are in there should I want to refer to or remember them.

Right now, everything is hand-written, but I would like to start to transfer everything to computer soon and print it all out as well as store it on computer. I also would like to take video of myself doing everything so I have that to look at.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shodan
I also would like to take video of myself doing everything so I have that to look at.

And for your posterity to see how you did.... Your kids will love watching your videos over and over again.

- Ceicei

K

kenpo12

Why do you need to keep notes or a notebook? Wouldn't that all depend on what you want out of the art. I don't even think that just because you don't keep a notebook means you're learning is simple or material is lacking. It really depends on the person. I have a very addictive personallity so when I do something (kenpo) my mind is fully invested. I do have reminders and reference material that I compile but 9 out of 10 times looking at it does little for me, I need to see it preformed either in person or on video. My other curiosity is this, do you need to keep a notebook to become effective in your estimation or just for teaching purposes?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo12
Why do you need to keep notes or a notebook? Wouldn't that all depend on what you want out of the art. I don't even think that just because you don't keep a notebook means you're learning is simple or material is lacking. It really depends on the person. I have a very addictive personallity so when I do something (kenpo) my mind is fully invested. I do have reminders and reference material that I compile but 9 out of 10 times looking at it does little for me, I need to see it preformed either in person or on video. My other curiosity is this, do you need to keep a notebook to become effective in your estimation or just for teaching purposes?

Sounds like you are a visual learner. You've gotta learn however you feel the best way you can.
- Ceicei

K

kenpo12

Ceicei,

You got it! I'm totally a visual learner. Thank God for video. LOL

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
rather than relying on a professional video created and performed by someone else, tape yourself doing some techniques, forms, etc. watch them with a critical eye. then do it again 3 months from now and compare. also compare them against the professional tape. if you are a visual learner, who better to learn from then yourself?

K

kenpo12

Pete,

I do that as well, I tape my tests or tape myself preforming forms, sets, etc. and then I look at horrible I look (LOL!) and try to improve on it.

Latest Discussions