Next weekend

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
All the conversation in the other thread about Olympic sparring had me thinking of some things to day, but I didn't want to thread hijack too (much more)

Anyway, I have the tournament next weekend and it's going to be interesting...

Forms- I opted out of 'traditional' forms because they are being held on Friday night and I didn't want to drive to Denver twice in two days :) So I will be doing 'Creative Forms'. With this in mind I will be doing 'Oh Yun Poomse' (see the conversation from a few months ago). I'll try to have my wife video it, if anyone is interested.

Sparring - this is going to be interesting. I'll admit I'm not going in to win. I mean, I hope I win and I'll do my best. But, I'm trying to approach this as a component of martial arts training. Well. I don't mean to sound... mean or anything but as I joked with my instructor "I want my opponent to not want to come out for the second round". I may not win, but they are going to know they've been in a fight. A lot of that is in using power but also in tactics. I guess one thing I realize is "they can't punch my face, I'm wearing a hogu around the main target area so they can't *really* hurt me. So I plan on getting in *a lot*. I'm not a bug powerful guy but I practice my punches for power against resistance probably more than most and I plant o use them. Also 'inside' kicks, if you will. Basically, the rules are Olympic, but my mentality is not. I'm approaching it more like an MMA or boxing match. Get in, be aggressive, do damage.

Anyway, I wanted to bring that up because of some of the conversations around Olympic rules, target, tactics, and scoring. It will be.. different, I think. As I said, I may not win because I will (plan to) be using techniques that don't often score very well. But..I'm not there going to win...I'm going there to learn some things about myself...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm trying to approach this as a component of martial arts training. Well. I don't mean to sound... mean or anything but as I joked with my instructor "I want my opponent to not want to come out for the second round". I may not win, but they are going to know they've been in a fight. A lot of that is in using power but also in tactics. I guess one thing I realize is "they can't punch my face, I'm wearing a hogu around the main target area so they can't *really* hurt me. So I plan on getting in *a lot*. I'm not a bug powerful guy but I practice my punches for power against resistance probably more than most and I plant o use them. Also 'inside' kicks, if you will. Basically, the rules are Olympic, but my mentality is not. I'm approaching it more like an MMA or boxing match. Get in, be aggressive, do damage.

I'll tell you this much, FF—if I ever found myself in a competitive sparring situation, I would do exactly, precisely what you're describing as your strategy. Lead by example.

Good luck, but luck or not, I think you're going to do very well, for yourself and for your art.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish you all the best in your match(es). I hope someone shoots video and you can link us to it on You Tube so we can see how your experiment works out.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where is this tournament again? I have a few commitments over the weekend, but maybe I'll drop in and see what I can see... depends on the location and the time, but since I'm already in Denver, I'd like to see if I can wander by.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Creative form? That's fun!

best of luck (and I like your game plan for the sparring!)

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good luck Freep,

Don't be a target and remember it is better to give than receive.

tou

White Belt
Reaction score
This move really gets me in sparring …In regular life have you ever walked around a corner to fast and almost run into some one? You didn’t run into them because you stepped to the outside and angled your body and so did they. Almost like you where about to dance. In real life it is embarrassing. In sparring it is fun. Address a straight on opening attack the same way. As if you are just stepping out of the way. If you where dancing you would put a lead hand on the person waist. This hand becomes your outside block to protect the side point scoring area of your head. Your back foot is a highly coiled round house to the non lead hand side of your opponent where the point is scored. If the other person is attacking too straight on you will sort of “clothes line” them with your leg. If the person angles off as good sparers do - remember you have still probably scored the point. Last note on “take’em out style sparring – if you are truly trying to learn - try to go all rounds - try to score all 3 points. Avoid trying to take your opponent out by attempting an opening fast roundhouse to the head and then throwing yourself at the ground. Give yourself the luxury to respond creatively to multiple attacks. Watch your opponent learn what you do and they will point out your weakness to you. This is good. Oh and have a great time.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey FF. Best of luck tomorrow. Don't forget, we want to see video!!!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes to all of the above—and may Fortune smile upon you, FF! :)

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wanted to rep ya pal. but couldn't. You are always helpful and gracious to everyone on the board.

Thank you for your words, matt.m.

Haha --> Yes, the spinning side kick as the counter attack to the round house is good, old school, hard hitting TKD!

Yessir!

And if this scores the point, with the "trembling shock", then everyone (including the judges, of course), will look favourably on this! This, as well as the spinning hook kick, is what we all mean by good tournament kicking.

FearlessFreep is doing the tournament sparring, we see. If one wishes to feel the fullness of this TKD, then, yes, we will go to the tournament and have competition. We prefer that our fellow user will win, but I suspect that he, as I, will take great pleasure in merely participating, win or lose, as long as one good solid counter attack is given in this manner -- to make the opponent go BACK -- displace them nicely!

This is the power of the spinning side kick counter attack!!!

Soon we will have a report on the tournament, I am sure!

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's over and we all did pretty well and I have some video but I need a bit of time to decompress a bit intellectually and emotionally before saying much coherent. Some I am very pleased with, some I am not..

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't wait to see the video. If you did your best, it was well done!

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Either way it sounds like a pretty good day. Looking forward to the video.

Latest Discussions