First tournament this past weekend!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did my first tournament (as an adult) this past weekend. I took gold in forms and sparring for my division (adult beginner color belt)! Granted, there were 2 other competitors in my forms bracket and 1 in my sparring bracket, but I feel I did good for my first time. I did TKD from about age 7-11, and started up again at 25, so really it's like my first time.

Forms was interesting. I remember forms being scored, and highest score wins first place, second-highest wins second, and so on. This tournament had 2 people compete side-by-side, and eliminated the person who got less votes from the judges. I think I prefer the other way (points instead of elimination). That way I only had to do my form once, and I think you get a better idea of where you're at.

I've been training sparring with the Sparring Club at my school, where we've been learning tactics like faking, baiting, countering, and combos. Plus, you simply get more experience in a class dedicated to sparring than you do in a class where you do three rounds of sparring and maybe some drills. Unfortunately, I didn't end up using 90% of what I'd learned because of my opponents style. He was just constantly on the attack, which meant I was constantly backing up and countering. I felt bad at first because I was just being driven back the whole time, but when I saw the score I realized that what I was doing was working - I was the only one landing kicks.

I felt real proud to bring home 2 gold medals from 2 events. The other competitors in my brackets were all good sports and we all had a lot of fun.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your accomplishments and thanks for sharing. :)

Latest Discussions