Spreading My Wings

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tonight I had a long chat with my instructor and I've decided to move on from his school for now. Don't read that wrong, it was a very good conversation and it really comes down to the areas of my interest in study are different than his areas of interest in teaching. I'm still a part of the family, my kids will still train there, he wished me well in my growth and offered help and I will be back both to learn and instruct in the future, very likely.

So what am I looking for now?

Tae Kwon Do as a self-defense art. Strong emphasis on strategy and tactics as well as practical responses.

My view on forms is as such. Forms define the full scope of the techniques of the art and all the techniques within should be practiced for practicality in themselves. That's kicks, knees, punches, elbows, knife-hands, etc...etc.. forms are good for teaching balance, control, focus, etc..etc... but sometimes you need to stop forms as just an abstract art and take the techniques out of the form and practice them for power, against resistance, etc..etc..

My view on sparring is as such. "The army doesn't train to excel at war games, the Army does war games to prepare for winning a war". As such, I think Tae Kwon Do as a full martial art should be practiced for effectiveness in it's entirety, and then you put the pads on and limit your attacks to some given rule set just to test your speed and your strength and what you can do against an intelligent and skilled opponent. I still want to compete on occasion, but I don't want hat the focus of my training. Ideally, i would like to compete in non-Tae Kwon Do venues (such as amateur MMA or whatever) to test myself against people who don't train like I do

My other thought is to go back to my old Hapkido instructor (who is good friends with my Tae Kwon Do instructor, btw...he is also a Tae Kwon Do BB under my current instructor and sat on my BB test and critiqued some of my techniques). But I feel in many ways I left some ares of my training incomplete when I left him (as a purple belt) so it's tempting to use his very-pragmatic Hapkido/MMA approach to round out and buttress and strengthen my Tae Kwon Do base

I live in Colorado Springs. I know I brought this up before but I thought maybe being more detailed (as my understanding has become more refined) would help to see if anyone know someone in the area that would be compatible with my goals.

Thanks

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck to you - you have to train for what you are interested in, which, as you said, is not necessarily what your instructor is teaching; not good, not bad, but different.

If you do find a good Hapkido school (or something else) do let us know; one of these days (in my copious free time - ha ha!) I'd like to train in something complementary to my TKD training.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was actually expecting to hear from you...I know you're up in Denver or nearby and you'd mentioned some options for training that sounded possibly interesting to me.

Good luck to you - you have to train for what you are interested in, which, as you said, is not necessarily what your instructor is teaching; not good, not bad, but different.

Yeah, it was a very good talk and he's very supportive. I have a lot of respect and appreciation for him. It's not really like I'm not still a part of his school in some ways, I'm just not going to train with him in order to have the opportunity to pursue my interests in different directions

If you do find a good Hapkido school (or something else) do let us know; one of these days (in my copious free time - ha ha!) I'd like to train in something complementary to my TKD training.

Well, I do know a great Hapkido instructor down here... :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you have had a great discussion with your instructor & parted ways as friends.

I truly wish you all the best in the next step in your journey. It's not an easy thing to know what you want & to face that you're not getting it where you are. Let us all know as you find what you're searching out. I for one am looking forward to hearing about it.:asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FF I wish we was closer would love to have you stop by for some training, Master Arnold which is Jacey instructir maybe able to hekp out. Going back to your old Hapkido instructor sounds like a good plan. Best of luck.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a new leg of your journey.. good choice IMO and even better that its all done on good terms. Best of luck with it all and if your ever in the UK.. look me up!

Stuart

Ps. I know a new association that sounds right up your street! :)

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good for you sir, in fact my way of view TKD is like you mention, I would like to train clasic TKD but in my city there is no single dojan with Clasic Tae Kwon DO, only oliumpic style TKD.

I'm considering to train something else but not leaving TKD as my main MA, I'm a process to see if Bujikan Tai Jutsu ( I have to check it) or maybe Aikido can give me the extra I'm looking for.

Going back to your HKD sambunim is a good thing.

Manny

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck...it's particulalry good that you were able to talk with your instructor and hash things out amicably. Say s alot abnout you and about him.

Peace,
Erik

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Best wishes to you, FF!

I train in both hapkido and taekwondo, but I do so at the same school, and based on that, I think you'll do well going back to hapkido. Keep us posted on how things go!

Daniel

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
it sounds like you know what you want! good luck in your journey my friend.

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tonight I had a long chat with my instructor and I've decided to move on from his school for now. Don't read that wrong, it was a very good conversation and it really comes down to the areas of my interest in study are different than his areas of interest in teaching. I'm still a part of the family, my kids will still train there, he wished me well in my growth and offered help and I will be back both to learn and instruct in the future, very likely.

So what am I looking for now?

Tae Kwon Do as a self-defense art. Strong emphasis on strategy and tactics as well as practical responses.

My view on forms is as such. Forms define the full scope of the techniques of the art and all the techniques within should be practiced for practicality in themselves. That's kicks, knees, punches, elbows, knife-hands, etc...etc.. forms are good for teaching balance, control, focus, etc..etc... but sometimes you need to stop forms as just an abstract art and take the techniques out of the form and practice them for power, against resistance, etc..etc..

My view on sparring is as such. "The army doesn't train to excel at war games, the Army does war games to prepare for winning a war". As such, I think Tae Kwon Do as a full martial art should be practiced for effectiveness in it's entirety, and then you put the pads on and limit your attacks to some given rule set just to test your speed and your strength and what you can do against an intelligent and skilled opponent. I still want to compete on occasion, but I don't want hat the focus of my training. Ideally, i would like to compete in non-Tae Kwon Do venues (such as amateur MMA or whatever) to test myself against people who don't train like I do

My other thought is to go back to my old Hapkido instructor (who is good friends with my Tae Kwon Do instructor, btw...he is also a Tae Kwon Do BB under my current instructor and sat on my BB test and critiqued some of my techniques). But I feel in many ways I left some ares of my training incomplete when I left him (as a purple belt) so it's tempting to use his very-pragmatic Hapkido/MMA approach to round out and buttress and strengthen my Tae Kwon Do base

I live in Colorado Springs. I know I brought this up before but I thought maybe being more detailed (as my understanding has become more refined) would help to see if anyone know someone in the area that would be compatible with my goals.

Thanks

The only thing I can really offer here is I am glad your teacher was helpful and understanding during your transition. I've heard a few horror pop up from situations like this, but I am not intending to derail the subject.

Latest Discussions