Olympic Dream is it real or just plain insanity!

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How did this turn into a Poomsae thread!!!! I would have never guessed it would have went this way!!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How did this turn into a Poomsae thread!!!! I would have never guessed it would have went this way!!!!

I was ask a question about sport poomsae and I gave an answer people did not like. It is always my fault and I personally like it that way.....
icon10.gif

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was ask a question about sport poomsae and I gave an answer people did not like. It is always my fault and I personally like it that way.....
icon10.gif

They Don't call you " the Ultimate Post Whore extreme" for nothing...

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Gorrilla partly blame me and my stubbornness. It's just that the Koryo opening side kicks are one of those things for which I have a sore spot, largely because I have poor side kicks that I have been working to improve for more than a decade. I was taught and practiced to kick to the knee- kick to the body for years. More recently I was taught to switch to kick to the knee-kick to the face. Now there's debate -- fueled by folks that I respect a lot -- as to whether thats' accurate.

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong , but page 137 of The Textbook of Taekwondo Poomsae -- which accompanies the latest official Kukkiwon Poomsae DVD set -- states the side kicks should be "height of knee" and "height of face." It was edited by the Kukkiwon and published last year by Kim Joong-Young/ O-Sung Publishing Co. The publication is the first revision of the Kukkiwon's official poomsae textbook in 18 years. In the DVD, Prof. In-Sik Hwang, 8th Dan, and Chairman of the Kukkiwon's Education Committee, demonstrates Koryo with kick to the knee- kick to the face.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gorrilla partly blame me and my stubbornness. It's just that the Koryo opening side kicks are one of those things for which I have a sore spot, largely because I have poor side kicks that I have been working to improve for more than a decade. I was taught and practiced to kick to the knee- kick to the body for years. More recently I was taught to switch to kick to the knee-kick to the face. Now there's debate -- fueled by folks that I respect a lot -- as to whether thats' accurate.

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong , but page 137 of The Textbook of Taekwondo Poomsae -- which accompanies the latest official Kukkiwon Poomsae DVD set -- states the side kicks should be "height of knee" and "height of face." It was edited by the Kukkiwon and published last year by Kim Joong-Young/ O-Sung Publishing Co. The publication is the first revision of the Kukkiwon's official poomsae textbook in 18 years. In the DVD, Prof. In-Sik Hwang, 8th Dan, and Chairman of the Kukkiwon's Education Committee, demonstrates Koryo with kick to the knee- kick to the face.

Archtkd you are right what you say but one thing I do not understand is this, if they really want it that way should they not change it on the official KKW website? I will keep throwing to the knee and the lower chest or floating rib and that depends if they come sideways or frontward towards me. I can understand your frustration level mine is like that as well. Sometime we go higher because that is what certain people want and then other times it is about making the right movements and we do, it is all up to the person teaching or refing.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Archtkd you are right what you say but one thing I do not understand is this, if they really want it that way should they not change it on the official KKW website? I will keep throwing to the knee and the lower chest or floating rib and that depends if they come sideways or frontward towards me. I can understand your frustration level mine is like that as well. Sometime we go higher because that is what certain people want and then other times it is about making the right movements and we do, it is all up to the person teaching or refing.
If you look at the application of each move from the web site, you will see that the second kick goes to the chin or neck if the head is tilted back moving the chin up. This kick is designed to end the confrontation with a KO or killing blow if the neck or wind pipe is struck. You can see the application right from Kukkiwon's site here http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/viewfront/eng/data/technique_trunk2.jsp You will need to click the Koryo button then the Application button to have the application explained and illustrated.

Hope this helps everyone.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATC I can see what you arre saying, maybe I will jsut stay old fashion and keep it the way it was. I will keep trying to make changes but it is hard when you been doing that poomsae for years and I mean years upon years upon years.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
ATC I can see what you arre saying, maybe I will jsut stay old fashion and keep it the way it was. I will keep trying to make changes but it is hard when you been doing that poomsae for years and I mean years upon years upon years.
It is laid out that way, it does not mean we have to really apply it that way. I have a hip issue on my left side and I can't even kick to the chin on that side. It is more for sport when judging but in reality you do what you can and make what you can work for you.

I would say for practical reason poomsae specifics are more of a guide than and absolute. Hey I know many that can only get the side kick to the groin area. That is OK by me. Do what works.
icon12.gif

Latest Discussions