New karate kid tv series

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing that surprised me watching the competition scene is that in the original people complained about how a kid with a few months training entering a black belt comp. but in cobra Kai all of johnnys students are wearing black belts and fighting in that competition yet people seem fine with that. Personally neither matters to me because I understand why I mean visually black belts look better than say green belt

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also just saw this someone took the tournament scene and set it to your the best around. Pretty cool

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing that surprised me watching the competition scene is that in the original people complained about how a kid with a few months training entering a black belt comp. but in cobra Kai all of johnnys students are wearing black belts and fighting in that competition yet people seem fine with that. Personally neither matters to me because I understand why I mean visually black belts look better than say green belt
I had the same thought while I was watching it. No way were those students already black belts.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had the same thought while I was watching it. No way were those students already black belts.
Course not but as I said it's a visual thing black belt looks better than white belts and Tbf only Miguel got anywhere in it really. The small kid lost quick, the girl lost her second match, guy with the stupid haircut got disqualified so only Miguel had real success and he was training 1-1 with Johnny for a while but at the end of the day it's a TV show you have to not apply logic all the time in favour of a good story

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

We laughed about that. But there's historical reason for it, within the series. In the original, when Daniel tries to sign in, they specify that it's Black Belts Only, and Mr Miyagi steals a belt for Daniel.
So Johnny is just doing the same thing Mr Miyagi did.
We also were never given any reason to believe that Johnny was anything other than a 1st Dan, and now he's running his own school. I presume he has or will self-promote to 10th Dan. Maybe Ashida Kim will certify him.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We laughed about that. But there's historical reason for it, within the series. In the original, when Daniel tries to sign in, they specify that it's Black Belts Only, and Mr Miyagi steals a belt for Daniel.
We also were never given any reason to believe that Johnny was anything other than a 1st Dan, and now he's running his own school. I presume he has or will self-promote to 10th Dan. Maybe Ashida Kim will certify him.
Actually, I remember the guy checking Daniel in said open division was for brown belt and above, right before Mr. Miyagi stole his black belt from his duffel bag. It’s been a while though, so maybe my memory’s off, and it’s a stupid point to argue anyway.

Now that I think of it, I don’t recall seeing any embroidered black belts in the original movies nor the new series.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Funny, I was actually expecting them to all wear them. I was looking for it, and once I saw it, I said to myself “I knew it!” I just knew they’d have to carry on the tradition of a few months to black belt.

Yeah, I focus on stupid things sometimes.

Edit: A few months to black belt? MUST BE MCDOJO!!! I was going to order a Cobra Kai t-shirt from 80s Tees, but now I have to rethink that one. No way I’m supporting a McDojo no matter how badass they are :) I’ve been eyeing up those tees for a few years now, so it’s not like I’m following the fad.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, I remember the guy checking Daniel in said open division was for brown belt and above, right before Mr. Miyagi stole his black belt from his duffel bag. It’s been a while though, so maybe my memory’s off, and it’s a stupid point to argue anyway.

Now that I think of it, I don’t recall seeing any embroidered black belts in the original movies nor the new series.

So I went and checked. Because I'm old, my memory is imperfect, and it's soooooooo vitally important.
The big man in the red shirt said "brown belt and above" and then Mr Miyagi steals a black belt.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah but in movie context that was because the other guys were all black belts and the only reason he was at the tournament was to fight them so it'd be pretty pointless for miyagi to enter him as a white belt lol but in cobra Kai Johnny wasn't there to fight anyone in paticular so no reason he couldn't enter them in other belt divisions

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They actually sort of address this in the last episode. Only click on the spoiler tag if you want a serious spoiler from the show.
In the last episode/last scene, Johnny's sensei comes back (not clear yet how Johnny reacts). So it may not end up being a self-promotion after all.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
....... FIIIIIIIINALLY getting round to watching this from the very start, bit late to the game but I am PUMPED!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just watched the last episode of Season 1.... wwwwow. I had chills, goosebumps, tears, the works haha, it's amazing so far! Apart from the very cringey, lame one-liners haha, was such a great nostalgia.

Last episode was just crazy good... so much in that, especially Johnny's face, wondering what the heck he has done... Am still rooting for Johnny, I love a good redemption story haha, and I think the students still found a place of belonging and strength in his dojo, even though a bit misguided. Even Johnny has grown immensely, even though still obviously struggling with his demons.

And the All-Valley tournament in the last episode... damn that was cool! Does anyone know the actual rules for the tournament? It seems no protective gear, full contact, and there were clearly not only karate practitioners there, a Capoeira dude haha..

Is it get a point and stop, reset? I remember seeing one guy cop a full front kick, but no one stopped, they only seemed to stop (and even win) the bout when one of them got knocked off their feet. Even if they were just swept with no follow up strike.. confused.

But loving it thus far, final episode had so much to lead into!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And the All-Valley tournament in the last episode... damn that was cool! Does anyone know the actual rules for the tournament? It seems no protective gear, full contact, and there were clearly not only karate practitioners there, a Capoeira dude haha..

Is it get a point and stop, reset? I remember seeing one guy cop a full front kick, but no one stopped, they only seemed to stop (and even win) the bout when one of them got knocked off their feet. Even if they were just swept with no follow up strike.. confused.

Ummm, it's Hollywood-Fu. They're following choreography, not rules.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wwwwwow.... finale of Season 2... insane.. whole darn thing just exploded! Mass fight scene... how quickly everything changed for everyone hey...

Loving it thus far :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aaaaand that's Season 3 done. Incredible finale... loving the old characters who are coming back, and I KNEW Kreese would call that certain fellow eventually!

Expected Season 4 to come out probably January next year or so.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I tried watching the pilot and Daniel was such a jerk I turned it off. Is he that way throughout the series?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tried watching the pilot and Daniel was such a jerk I turned it off. Is he that way throughout the series?
Ahh he does sort of come round... but most of it he is still a bit arrogant, or more just incredibly stubborn haha. He does eventually soften.

If you loved the movies you'll love the series, just keeps getting better!

Drobison491

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yeah but he was a jerk in the movies too. Stealing girlfriends, picking fights, using illegal kicks, it only makes sense the carry that into the show