Need help again MYTHS AND INCORRECT ASSUMPTIONS ATTACKS

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have mentioned before the soldier in Vietnam who was high on barbiturates. He was hit on the head with a .45, then shot with a .45 first in the thigh, then the foot. He continued to fight against the MP who hadn't fired his weapon, for a few moments, then suddenly stopped and told them he was a little tired so he was going to sit down for a minute, but when he got back up, he was going to really whip their butts. Fortunately, he didn't get back up. People high on drugs not only don't feel pain as much, if at all, but don't judge things with clarity.

That sir is an excellent point to make ...If a person is being affected and a trustee of modern chemistry then the reaction or lack there off may not conform to the norms... I mean the old go to which woman usually think kick him in the balls...

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes...the old “kick to the balls” is probably one of the most misused tactics.

There are too many variables involved in a “street fight”. Ironically, a “street fight” is a rather broad term since it encompasses just about everything including the kitchen sink.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That sir is an excellent point to make ...If a person is being affected and a trustee of modern chemistry then the reaction or lack there off may not conform to the norms... I mean the old go to which woman usually think kick him in the balls...

Yes, that. As @Deafdude#5 said, there are too many variables. It doesn't have to be a person on drugs or alcohol. It doesn't take much to block a kick away from causing pain or injury to a man's privates. I usually advise people to go for a knee; guaranteed pain and likely sufficient injury to take that leg away.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, that. As @Deafdude#5 said, there are too many variables. It doesn't have to be a person on drugs or alcohol. It doesn't take much to block a kick away from causing pain or injury to a man's privates. I usually advise people to go for a knee; guaranteed pain and likely sufficient injury to take that leg away.

I was actually taking to an old friend yesterday about just that and we both told the woman who asked us ...go for the knee ...if not then the skin bone as that to causes instant pain to let you escape and leg it lol

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was actually taking to an old friend yesterday about just that and we both told the woman who asked us ...go for the knee ...if not then the skin bone as that to causes instant pain to let you escape and leg it lol
Kicks to the shin are painful. Different kicks causes different injuries to the shin and surrounding muscle.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you being ironic ? Can't tell, neither the knees oR the shin bone are likely to cause pain, that makes someone let go of you, unless it's the shock, kicking some one so hard you damage the knee and Or knock them over has merit, maybe if you had a pair of clogs on? Or even stealys, but high heels oR trainer , forget it, though a steletto on the top of the foot may work

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can I ask lol...are you thinking of or actually teaching self defense or advising on said?

The myths you state can be true and are not true lol...

I as many others will have heard those statements many times and they are usually part of some advert campaign to get people to sign up for classes playing on the human mind and as with all campaigns planting a seed esp if in that area there has been something to trigger it.

There really are no rights and wrongs in self defense all can be myth yet all can be fact ...

I guess what "some" instructors etc are trying to do is as I said stir up trade for themselves ...which is business ...is it ethical that is open to each to make their minds up
Almost any "always" will be a myth. And there are definitely some myths (mistaken assumptions) in MA training, especially around self-defense.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest one I find is that the human body is much less resilient than it actually is. This is something found almost exclusively in clubs that do little to no alive/contact training, and manifests in sequence training that involve 'disabling' attackers with moves that most likely wouldn't actually stop most people.
That's a big one for a lot of self-defense schools. Simple sparring would make a bunch of those obvious.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you being ironic ? Can't tell, neither the knees oR the shin bone are likely to cause pain, that makes someone let go of you, unless it's the shock, kicking some one so hard you damage the knee and Or knock them over has merit, maybe if you had a pair of clogs on? Or even stealys, but high heels oR trainer , forget it, though a steletto on the top of the foot may work
Agreed. It's the pain compliance issue, again.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed. It's the pain compliance issue, again.

You agree with @jobo? Who are you and what did you do with the real gpseymour?

I don't agree with your agreement.:)

I have not gone around kicking people in the shin or knee (but practiced the moves), nor been kicked in those places. But I have sure bumped both places enough to know those are painful places to receive a strike or kick. And I didn't learn it as pain compliance exactly. i tend to think of that more as joint manipulation to force movement where I want you to go.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You agree with @jobo? Who are you and what did you do with the real gpseymour?

I don't agree with your agreement.:)

I have not gone around kicking people in the shin or knee (but practiced the moves), nor been kicked in those places. But I have sure bumped both places enough to know those are painful places to receive a strike or kick. And I didn't learn it as pain compliance exactly. i tend to think of that more as joint manipulation to force movement where I want you to go.
Well I've played soccer and can assure you that being kicking in the shin can be painful, it's not at a level that incapacitateS you, I've had people go over the ball to deliberately kick my shins and I've not even felt it( to the next day), and that was before the wide spread use o shin pads

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I've played soccer and can assure you that being kicking in the shin can be painful, it's not at a level that incapacitateS you, I've had people go over the ball to deliberately kick my shins and I've not even felt it( to the next day), and that was before the wide spread use o shin pads

Sounds like you had gotten your shins accustomed and desensitized to kicks. That can be done. But most people don't do that. And especially as far as shins go, it can last longer, but if it acts only as a short distraction, is serves a purpose wouldn't you say? And I didn't say that would be an incapacitating blow. A kick to the knee is more likely to do that.

So are you saying you would not be likely to use a shin (or knee) strike because it doesn't bother you?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like you had gotten your shins accustomed and desensitized to kicks. That can be done. But most people don't do that. And especially as far as shins go, it can last longer, but if it acts only as a short distraction, is serves a purpose wouldn't you say? And I didn't say that would be an incapacitating blow. A kick to the knee is more likely to do that.

So are you saying you would not be likely to use a shin (or knee) strike because it doesn't bother you?
No I'm saying that in the context of the post I was replying to, which was women using a shin kick to escape a ( male) attacker, then it's very unlikely to have the claimed outcome, that being they let go of you, it's just not that painful or that distracting, particularly if they are wearing femmine foi t ware

A good Hoof with a pair of steel toe caps on the other hand ?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The biggest one I find is that the human body is much less resilient than it actually is. This is something found almost exclusively in clubs that do little to no alive/contact training, and manifests in sequence training that involve 'disabling' attackers with moves that most likely wouldn't actually stop most people.

Kicking knees and having them shattering like glass. Punching and having your hands explode.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This one was a gun related myth I discussed on a different forum a while back: I carry my duty-sized pistol when I'm in rougher neighborhoods, and I carry my pocket pistol when I'm in safer neighborhoods.
The counterpoint I made to disprove the myth is that the likelihood of being attacked has nothing to do with what you will want on-hand should you be attacked.

--

Only sort of. The greater the likely hood there is the more equipment you can bring to solve it.

So if I go for a Bush walk I will bring a tarp. Because just maybe I will get caught over night.

But if I go camping I bring a tent.

Both will work. One just requires more effort.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Has anybody ever made a backward elbow work?

A few people have hit me with one and it has to be one of the most Meh attacks if have ever received.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Has anybody ever made a backward elbow work?

A few people have hit me with one and it has to be one of the most Meh attacks if have ever received.

Not as a single shot, and not a straight thrust, no, but as part of a combo. It was a wide arc spin to the back side.

Walked into the men's room at a concert. Entering, there's a mirror on the opposite wall. I saw a Johnny Winter looking guy [young Johnny Winter] following me in and grabbing the back of my collar. I had seen him when we first all got out of our car fifteen minutes earlier and thought he was sizing me up for a robbery.

As he grabs my collar I spun and elbowed the side of his head, wrapped him in a headlock and threw him - a couple seconds later three pistols were shoved in my head with three guys screaming POLICE as they threw me on the floor. Johnny Winter was an undercover cop on the drug squad. Swell.

I got taken to the station house. This was long before I was ever thought about being a cop. He came in twenty minutes later. Man, he had an egg on the side of his head the size of a golf ball. From my elbow. And I was in trouble.

But it was a corker of an elbow. :)