Need help again MYTHS AND INCORRECT ASSUMPTIONS ATTACKS

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I need help again. I'm interested in hearing some of the myths and incorrect assumptions that people have about attacks.

Attacks could be criminal attacks or it could be the attacks that one does for self-defense or fighting/ sparring.

Attack myth: The attacker will most likely be a stranger or someone that you don't know.
Attack myth: I'll be able to pull off fancy multi-combo attacks like in the movies.
Attack myth: kicking someone in the balls always works.

I'm curious to know what type of myth and incorrect assumptions are being made or said in context of what type of attack someone will defend against or an attack that someone will do.

Thanks in advance.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if this directly answers, but "any fight will only last 5 seconds, and your attacker wont put you on the ground (so you dont need to learn groundwork)

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I need help again. I'm interested in hearing some of the myths and incorrect assumptions that people have about attacks.

Attacks could be criminal attacks or it could be the attacks that one does for self-defense or fighting/ sparring.

Attack myth: The attacker will most likely be a stranger or someone that you don't know.
Attack myth: I'll be able to pull off fancy multi-combo attacks like in the movies.

I'm curious to know what type of myth and incorrect assumptions are being made or said in context of what type of attack someone will defend against or an attack that someone will do.

Thanks in advance.

can I ask lol...are you thinking of or actually teaching self defense or advising on said?

The myths you state can be true and are not true lol...

I as many others will have heard those statements many times and they are usually part of some advert campaign to get people to sign up for classes playing on the human mind and as with all campaigns planting a seed esp if in that area there has been something to trigger it.

There really are no rights and wrongs in self defense all can be myth yet all can be fact ...

I guess what "some" instructors etc are trying to do is as I said stir up trade for themselves ...which is business ...is it ethical that is open to each to make their minds up

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
There really are no rights and wrongs in self defense all can be myth yet all can be fact ...

Really?

They can be factual?

In every street attack they'll only go for your head?

"Using our secret spec-ops moves you can win any fight in 3-5 seconds"?

There are more I can remember, but I need to check if I'm mythtaken first ;)

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't agree that every attack goes for the head but that just my opinion

what you said about secret specs ops things lol...yes that a common marketing plan lol...

and yes myths abound in this world lol some are true some most certainly are not

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't agree that every attack goes for the head but that just my opinion

If you've seen (or reliably heard of) a street attack where they targeted anything other than the head then it's not an opinion, that's a fact - and as a handy coincidence it disproves the statement I stole about "every street attack"...

what you said about secret specs ops things lol...yes that a common marketing plan lol...

So, it's a myth then, and untrue - which is the point I was making when you said "there is no right or wrong with SD"...

and yes myths abound in this world lol some are true some most certainly are not

And it's those myths the OP was after ;)

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
can I ask lol...are you thinking of or actually teaching self defense or advising on said?

The myths you state can be true and are not true lol...

I as many others will have heard those statements many times and they are usually part of some advert campaign to get people to sign up for classes playing on the human mind and as with all campaigns planting a seed esp if in that area there has been something to trigger it.

I guess what "some" instructors etc are trying to do is as I said stir up trade for themselves ...which is business ...is it ethical that is open to each to make their minds up
I'm teaching self defense and martial arts but I'm not covering this subject matter in those classes. I use these questions to help me write articles and to promote discussions on a new website that I'm building.

There is a lot ignorance (people not knowing) when it comes to self defense and martial arts. So I want to help people get in the right mindset when it comes to addressing their self defense and martial arts desires. For example, a fitness kick boxing class is not be the best choice for someone to develop fighting skills. I want to help people to be honest with themselves when it comes to self defense and martial arts. It's ok for a person to take a fitness kickboxing class so long as they understand that's what it is and nothing more.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As with all things in life...."it depends". As someone else said there are no absolutes.

MOST untrained fighters will attack the head and headhunt. You can find other stuff... sure. But, as a starting point for a beginner dealing with a right roundhouse punch should be the first to learn to defend against.

All fights go to the ground, or even All fights start standing up. Both are false, fights can start and end anywhere. As most people are aware now the stat about 90% of fights go to the ground was based on LAPD use of force where they purposely try to take a fight to the ground to handcuff. But, many fights do go to the ground either on purpose or accident.

You can tell if someone knows how to use a knife by how they hold it. Nope, different tactics and strategies will dictate if it is in their lead hand or backhand and type of grip as well.

"Pressure points" always work or never work. It's somewhere in the middle. For some people they work very well against and other people they don't. Training should be spent at least learning to find and strike the easiest most accessible with the most bang for your buck.

If you are a woman "pee yourself" to prevent a rape. Load of crap. If it happens it will happen naturally, but I have yet to see a case where someone did it on purpose. We condition ourselves so much to hold it that it would be very hard to overcome that conditioning. Add in to that the high stress of the situation and the body has pretty much shut down that non-essential function. Which is why if it happens your body did it naturally as a fight/flight response.

If someone has a knife, I'll just shoot them. Probably not. Most people don't know they are in a knife fight until too late. The old "21 foot rule" is greatly misapplied and misunderstood.

All streetfights are evil people intent on killing you. Could be, probably not. The term "streetfight" is too nebulous. Are you talking about two guys squaring up and agreeing to fight through their words/actions? Are you talking about one guy pushing to fight over some perceived insult? Are you talking about a criminal assault? Not to mention, where do you live and where is the event taking place? Much different mindset in a high end suburban local watering hole and it is two drunk guys versus an inner city street corner.

Combat sports prepare you for the "real thing". Maybe or maybe not. They provide better preparation usually in physical conditioning and the fact that you are applying your techniques against an uncooperative person who is trying to do the same. But, for kicks and grins spend some time on youtube watching pro boxers having pre-conference fights. Looks NOTHING like they do in the ring and you wouldn't guess they were professional fighters. It looks like any other schoolyard brawl. Emotions and anger GREATLY change the dynamics and training goes out the window.

Traditional martial arts prepare you for the "real thing". Maybe or maybe not. It all depends on how they are trained as well. If you only do compliant training and not add in realism, then you can be very surprised when it doesn't go as planned.

The list can go on and on...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Well it depends, some of those are true to the most part but not with out exceptions. leaving aside robbery and sexual assault, that are completely different

Random attacks with out notice are quite rare, but you may get someone drunk showing of to their friends in a really bad mood who just decided to punch you, because you happen to be walking past, that's nearly always a stranger, People who know you and have a Grudge may well attack you With out notice, other than you know they have a grudge, most fight then have a build up of hostilities, which may be quite short, but you have notice that it's going to happen,Are they a,stranger when you've spent five mins arguing with them?

You may well be able to pull of a fancy combo

Most people do indeed aim mostly at the head, kicking people in the balls, hard, generally works, if you then follow it up with something else whilst they Are distracted

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Myth # 1
martial artists know what they are talking about when they discuss and advise people on self defense matters.

martial artists study punches, kicks and throws. very few study the scientific literature on violence and victimization. these are very separate topics and just because someone has a black belt in a martial art does not qualify them to have a thorough knowledge on violence and aggressive behavior. it should also not be assumed that a martial artist knows the best strategies and tactics to apply to real life self defense. if a martial artist has any knowledge about violence and human combative behavior it is usually attained outside of the martial art curriculum, not from within it.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
The biggest one I find is that the human body is much less resilient than it actually is. This is something found almost exclusively in clubs that do little to no alive/contact training, and manifests in sequence training that involve 'disabling' attackers with moves that most likely wouldn't actually stop most people.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm teaching self defense and martial arts but I'm not covering this subject matter in those classes. I use these questions to help me write articles and to promote discussions on a new website that I'm building.

There is a lot ignorance (people not knowing) when it comes to self defense and martial arts. So I want to help people get in the right mindset when it comes to addressing their self defense and martial arts desires. For example, a fitness kick boxing class is not be the best choice for someone to develop fighting skills. I want to help people to be honest with themselves when it comes to self defense and martial arts. It's ok for a person to take a fitness kickboxing class so long as they understand that's what it is and nothing more.

You are 100% spot on and people do have to be honest first with themselves before they go on to anything else.

There are so many misconceptions about the martial arts and what self defense actually is and yes there are many myths out there and when you knock one down another two will pop up lol

Best of luck with your website if I can help I will ...it may not be what you or others always want to hear but I can usually back up what I say .

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Neither myth nor fact. Many variables here.

For the most part true. Fights get sloppy and chaotic quick.

Define works. Depends on what the outcome you are going for.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can take this to far and start building myths in the other negative direction,

A simple rule of thumb, if you have more skill than your attacker and a greater level of physical fitness you should do ok, most of the time. The level of skill needed to exceed your average attacker is quite low, yellow belt perhaps, but don't stop there, the fitness you need is an unknown variable, better to aim on the high side

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This one was a gun related myth I discussed on a different forum a while back: I carry my duty-sized pistol when I'm in rougher neighborhoods, and I carry my pocket pistol when I'm in safer neighborhoods.
The counterpoint I made to disprove the myth is that the likelihood of being attacked has nothing to do with what you will want on-hand should you be attacked.

---

Are we talking about myths in terms of streetfighting tactics, i.e. if someone is throwing a punch at me or grabs me on the street, what is and isn't effective?
Or are we talking about myths regarding self defense preparedness in general, i.e. how to spot signs of abuse, how to properly be aware of your surroundings, etc.?

---

The myth that you are not responsible for your own self defense. That the police will be there to save you.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As with all things in life...."it depends". As someone else said there are no absolutes.

MOST untrained fighters will attack the head and headhunt. You can find other stuff... sure. But, as a starting point for a beginner dealing with a right roundhouse punch should be the first to learn to defend against.

All fights go to the ground, or even All fights start standing up. Both are false, fights can start and end anywhere. As most people are aware now the stat about 90% of fights go to the ground was based on LAPD use of force where they purposely try to take a fight to the ground to handcuff. But, many fights do go to the ground either on purpose or accident.

You can tell if someone knows how to use a knife by how they hold it. Nope, different tactics and strategies will dictate if it is in their lead hand or backhand and type of grip as well.

"Pressure points" always work or never work. It's somewhere in the middle. For some people they work very well against and other people they don't. Training should be spent at least learning to find and strike the easiest most accessible with the most bang for your buck.

If you are a woman "pee yourself" to prevent a rape. Load of crap. If it happens it will happen naturally, but I have yet to see a case where someone did it on purpose. We condition ourselves so much to hold it that it would be very hard to overcome that conditioning. Add in to that the high stress of the situation and the body has pretty much shut down that non-essential function. Which is why if it happens your body did it naturally as a fight/flight response.

If someone has a knife, I'll just shoot them. Probably not. Most people don't know they are in a knife fight until too late. The old "21 foot rule" is greatly misapplied and misunderstood.

All streetfights are evil people intent on killing you. Could be, probably not. The term "streetfight" is too nebulous. Are you talking about two guys squaring up and agreeing to fight through their words/actions? Are you talking about one guy pushing to fight over some perceived insult? Are you talking about a criminal assault? Not to mention, where do you live and where is the event taking place? Much different mindset in a high end suburban local watering hole and it is two drunk guys versus an inner city street corner.

Combat sports prepare you for the "real thing". Maybe or maybe not. They provide better preparation usually in physical conditioning and the fact that you are applying your techniques against an uncooperative person who is trying to do the same. But, for kicks and grins spend some time on youtube watching pro boxers having pre-conference fights. Looks NOTHING like they do in the ring and you wouldn't guess they were professional fighters. It looks like any other schoolyard brawl. Emotions and anger GREATLY change the dynamics and training goes out the window.

Traditional martial arts prepare you for the "real thing". Maybe or maybe not. It all depends on how they are trained as well. If you only do compliant training and not add in realism, then you can be very surprised when it doesn't go as planned.

The list can go on and on...
I definitely think the term Street fight should be specified. Especially since searching on you tube shows 2 or more people squaring off.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The biggest one I find is that the human body is much less resilient than it actually is. This is something found almost exclusively in clubs that do little to no alive/contact training, and manifests in sequence training that involve 'disabling' attackers with moves that most likely wouldn't actually stop most people.
I know a well respected Sifu who is in law enforcement. He said that kung fu didn't work as well as he expected against someone on drugs. He got body slammed and he said the ground hurt and took a lot out of him. After he hit the ground he had wo rely on his BJJ skillset. It made me think about my punches. I have 2 types "lethal" and non leathal. The lethal targets weak areas like the back of the head. If a person doesn't respond to pain then I need to attack the mechanics of the body, breathing, mobility, blood flow, and brain. And there's no guarantee that the switch will turn off on the first or second strike.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know a well respected Sifu who is in law enforcement. He said that kung fu didn't work as well as he expected against someone on drugs. He got body slammed and he said the ground hurt and took a lot out of him. After he hit the ground he had wo rely on his BJJ skillset. It made me think about my punches. I have 2 types "lethal" and non leathal. The lethal targets weak areas like the back of the head. If a person doesn't respond to pain then I need to attack the mechanics of the body, breathing, mobility, blood flow, and brain. And there's no guarantee that the switch will turn off on the first or second strike.

In guns it's called a "psychological stop" vs. a "physiological stop."

Psychological stop is:
  • He has a gun, I don't want to fight him
  • He actually shot the gun, the next bullet might hit me
  • Ow, he shot me, I should run away and seek medical attention
  • Ow, that hurt, I don't want to fight anymore
Physiological stop is when there isn't enough oxygen in your brain for the attack to continue.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have mentioned before the soldier in Vietnam who was high on barbiturates. He was hit on the head with a .45, then shot with a .45 first in the thigh, then the foot. He continued to fight against the MP who hadn't fired his weapon, for a few moments, then suddenly stopped and told them he was a little tired so he was going to sit down for a minute, but when he got back up, he was going to really whip their butts. Fortunately, he didn't get back up. People high on drugs not only don't feel pain as much, if at all, but don't judge things with clarity.

Latest Discussions