Need advice how I should practice self defense with a cane

Alan0354

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi

I have a thread in General MA discussion on this, but I think this is a much better place to ask for advice.

I just started practicing stick fighting with a cane because of all the older Asians are being attacked on the street. I only started practicing a little over 4 months ago. I started mostly with single hand escrima style, but I soon evolved to using two hands swinging like the Katana because I can hit harder. Here are two videos I recorded two or three weeks ago. I want you experts to comment what should I work on next, what I should improve.

Like I said, I am not aiming to go on competition or be an expert, just self defense to protect myself and my wife. I am 68, so it looks normal to carry a cane. I am using the United Cutlery Night Watchman cane, it's 19oz after cutting to the right length.

I was advice not to hit with the head and handle like punching jab and reverse punch as people likely going to grab the cane if I hold it in front of them. Just concentrate on poking.

Since the video, I practice a lot more in hitting the knee and legs as it's harder to grab the cane when I hit low.

Any advice, critique, suggestion are welcome

Thanks

Alan

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, it looks like you've settled on 3 basic techniques: a 2-handed thrust, a 2-handed swing, and holding in the middle to hit with either end. I'll offer you one suggestion to help refine each movement.

• For the two handed thrust, you are letting the stick drift out sideways from your body a bit. This costs you some power and makes it easier for your opponent to block your arms, grapple, or hit your arms if they are carrying a weapon of their own. Try keeping your elbows and your stick in tight to your body and only extend them forward from your body to thrust.
  • When you do the double-end hitting, you are holding the middle of the stick literally inches away from your target. This means the strikes with the tips are travelling only a few inches and can't generate much power. It also means that your opponent will have an easy time grabbing the middle of your stick and possibly wrestling it away from you. Try starting with the stick close to your body and allowing the stick to travel through the space for a full power strike, then recovering to a guard close to your body.
  • The two handed swings aren't bad, but if you allow a bit of separation between your hands as if you were holding a sword rather than a baseball bat, then you will have more control and maneuverability.

OP
A

Alan0354

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Tony

From advice before, I don't do the double hand hitting anymore....or as little as possible because of the potential of opponent grabbing the cane.

Yes, you are right about swinging with two hands a little farther apart instead of swinging like the baseball bet. I was experimenting a few days ago and find it's easier to control with a little separation between the hands. In fact, I change my two hand thrusting. I am thrusting from the left side now with the thumb of the right hand in forward position instead of in the video.( In the video, I thrust from the right and the thumb of the left hand pointing back to the right hand).

The reason I change that is because I am now holding the cane just like normal two hand swing, just the two hands are farther apart(like 8" apart when thrusting). Now, after I thrust to the mid section, I club down from the right, then I am ready to thrust again. I replace the double hand hitting with thrust from the left, then club down from the right, then thrust from the left and repeat. I have to make another video. Things changed.

I just started practicing more for close distance fighting. In real life situation, you don't have the open space like in competition stick fight that you can swing in wide circles. Like in restaurants, you have chairs and tables around you. So I started thinking how can I make things more compact and can hold onto the cane more secure( accidentally hit something in the surrounding can easily dislodge the cane and that's bad). I am actually practice swinging the cane with hands like 8" apart. Yes, I lose power some, but I am sure I can still hit harder than double end hitting in the video.

I really need to make another video soon and get new suggestions.

Thanks

alan