What tape people use to protect hands when swinging stick, sword or tennis racket?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi

I have a lot of problem peeling skin off on my thumb and fingers from swinging my cane to hit bags or air. This should be common with other people like tennis player or swinging sword or other weapon. I need suggestion what tape to buy to protect my hand and fingers. I am so sick of having to stop practicing for days when I tear my skin on my fingers!!!

Today, I was so mad I actually use electrical tape to get me through the session. It worked, but I am sure there are better tapes than electrical. I need advice.

Thanks

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Anything that increases friction will increase blisters. When I am doing heavy bag/tire work I actually use the smoothest rattan or nylon rod that I have.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I want to clarify, I meant taping my fingers, not on the cane.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some Major league baseball players believe urinating on their hands prevent blisters.

Something to think about before asking for an autograph at the ballpark.
Condies crystals.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi

I have a lot of problem peeling skin off on my thumb and fingers from swinging my cane to hit bags or air. This should be common with other people like tennis player or swinging sword or other weapon. I need suggestion what tape to buy to protect my hand and fingers. I am so sick of having to stop practicing for days when I tear my skin on my fingers!!!

Today, I was so mad I actually use electrical tape to get me through the session. It worked, but I am sure there are better tapes than electrical. I need advice.

Thanks

Buy gloves.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve never tried taping my hands. I prefer to gradually increase my training time until I’ve developed calluses on the affected spots. If you’ve already got blisters and don’t want to take time off training, I’d recommend wearing gloves for your stick practice until they heal. This has the added benefit of getting you used to the grip adjustments you might need while wearing gloves in the winter.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I’ve never tried taping my hands. I prefer to gradually increase my training time until I’ve developed calluses on the affected spots. If you’ve already got blisters and don’t want to take time off training, I’d recommend wearing gloves for your stick practice until they heal. This has the added benefit of getting you used to the grip adjustments you might need while wearing gloves in the winter.
That's an idea, you mean cloth gloves? I cannot see rubber utility gloves, rubber stick to the cane and rub my skin even more.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's an idea, you mean cloth gloves? I cannot see rubber utility gloves, rubber stick to the cane and rub my skin even more.
Yep. Ideally gloves that you might wear during cool or cold weather, so that you're used to them if you ever have to defend yourself with your cane in the middle of winter.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks

Lol, you're using electrical tape? They have athletic tape, even at the Dollar Tree. For the equipment/cane, use hockey tape (which is too strong for your skin).

But if you're sparring weapons, you'd want to buy a good pair of Lacrosse gloves, around $100; b/c if you get hit in the joints of your fingers, that can hurt constantly for over a year. Wear Muay Thai shin guards, kneepads, elbow pads too. I spar with a lot of weapons and I don't wish this year long pain on even my enemies. I'd rather get dropped with a head punch than the last joint injury. Before that, it was a shot to the ankle with a stick and it ached every time I walked until it warms up. Then when I sit to do work, it gets cold and will ache again when I get up. 3x worse when I was about to exercise. This lasted for 1.5 years.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lol, you're using electrical tape? They have athletic tape, even at the Dollar Tree. For the equipment/cane, use hockey tape (which is too strong for your skin).

But if you're sparring weapons, you'd want to buy a good pair of Lacrosse gloves, around $100; b/c if you get hit in the joints of your fingers, that can hurt constantly for over a year. Wear Muay Thai shin guards, kneepads, elbow pads too. I spar with a lot of weapons and I don't wish this year long pain on even my enemies. I'd rather get dropped with a head punch than the last joint injury. Before that, it was a shot to the ankle with a stick and it ached every time I walked until it warms up. Then when I sit to do work, it gets cold and will ache again when I get up. 3x worse when I was about to exercise. This lasted for 1.5 years.
Ha ha, that was out of desperation that day, I have some of the athletic tape since, it works. I did 4 sets of 7min rounds swinging with no problem at all. I am waiting for the cotton gloves to come in and see how good it is.

I don't spar, too old for that already, just practicing for self defense because there are a lot of attacks on older Asians.

Thanks

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I would have said a riggers style glove for pretty much the reason they use them. Which is to handle tools without getting blisters.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't spar, too old for that already, just practicing for self defense because there are a lot of attacks on older Asians

Most of the Dog Brothers I personally know (full contact stick fighters) are older than you.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Most of the Dog Brothers I personally know (full contact stick fighters) are older than you.
He is 68(?), there are maybe five active DBs fighting at that age. Maybe. I don't know about Europe but pretty sure I have a good handle on the US and Canada. There are a fair amount of mid-50s though.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He is 68(?), there are maybe five active DBs fighting at that age. Maybe. I don't know about Europe but pretty sure I have a good handle on the US and Canada. There are a fair amount of mid-50s though.
Yes, I am 68, big difference between 50s and 68!! I try to work hard and put in more hours, now my right knee is killing me, my left elbow is starting to give me problem. I have a lot of heart, just no body. I am putting in close to 7 hours a week for the last 4 months, I think I have to start cutting down!!!( I have been doing like 4 hours a week for years, just up the hours after adding stick fight).

Just a few years ago, I could squeeze a few reps of bench press 225lbs, now 185lbs!!!:(

I could swear my skin seems to get blisters easier as I get old, I am over 4 months into stick practice, how can I still have problem with blisters on my hands??

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Talcum powder acts as both lubricant and dry grip.

If you watched the Olympics, they use it in all sorts of sports to prevent what you're experiencing. Give it a try, it's cheap and non-toxic, but if you're concerned about talc there are other similar things like cornstarch, baking soda. Anything that wicks moisture and coats the skin should do.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought he was in his 50's, my bad. Do you know Sage dog? Of course you know Sled Dog.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I received the cotton gloves, it helps, but I feel the tape is a little better if the cane has rubber foam on the handle. The gloves stick to the foam better than the bare stick, so it rub on my skin more. The tape stick to my skin, so it has not choice but to slide on the stick. I survived 4 rounds with the tape today already.

Last edited:

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha, that was out of desperation that day, I have some of the athletic tape since, it works. I did 4 sets of 7min rounds swinging with no problem at all. I am waiting for the cotton gloves to come in and see how good it is.

I don't spar, too old for that already, just practicing for self defense because there are a lot of attacks on older Asians.

Thanks

You should spar though, but with foam weapons. Where do you live and how old are you? Look for Larping groups called Dagorhir. There are dudes in their 70's playing that and they're really good.

The skills you'll develop is very realistic. These Larping people are just as good as FMA dudes with their Escrima sticks.

Also be careful on the type of cane you carry; depending on your City. You're not in San Francisco, are you? Like those massive, Irish Thorn or something, those are clearly weapons in some areas. I like the classic, old guy canes that are beige; carried by the Monopoly Geezer.

Latest Discussions