How to minimize cane flying off the hand when misses the target?

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks

I actually experimented this and like this on my own. I was thinking how can I hit without swinging through. I kept experimenting and I found reaching like in the video make it hit harder without the momentum carrying the stick through if missing the target. This help in holding onto the cane.

I was going to post to ask about my finding, but don't know now to even describe it. Your video explains it all.

Thanks for confirming this to me. Now I can confidently practice it. I am still practice hitting lighter. I also read about Chinkuchi suggested by Isshinryuronin about muscle, shoulder, waste concentrating at one point, and I found casting helps to envision that point.

Lots of info for me to practice now.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have more questions:

1) In your video, it's more for long distance striking. I actually use the same technique for closer distance striking. I started from the left side holding the cane with two hands to poke the mid section. I have my hands like 8" apart and just poke. Then I use casting to hit the head with two hands still 8" apart. Then repeat poking the mid section. It's like poke, casting strike, poke, casting strike........ Actually this kind of how I discover the casting because without casting, there is no power in the strike with hands 8" apart. It's the casting that increase the power.

It's is to the point that it seems at close distance I can even use casting strike with hands 8" apart to the mid section in close distance, feels even more powerful than poking. Casting feels like a combination of a jab and a strike together and they add to each other.

2) Do you have any exercise suggestion to practice Chinkughi in cane strike?

Thanks

EDIT: I have been practicing using casting today with the tip of the stick at max reach to the heavy bag. This make me miss the bag like 30% of the time and swing through. I did not try to swing very hard, but I yet to lose my cane after 15 minutes. That seems to be a big improvement. Before, when I miss the bag, I lose my cane on and off. Worst is one or two times, I lost grip on left hand, but the right hand still holding the cane and it did not fly away.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi

Are you Lamont Glass in the video? If so, thanks so much for making the video on casting. I notice the video was posted only yesterday. Too bad you are in Wa. I am in the Silicon Valley close to San Jose. It would be so nice to have your school here.

I watched your video again and try to practice casting. I talked about hitting like you described, but today I really followed yours, it's not easy, I am really starting from ground scratch on casting now that I know this is the correct way. Give me some time( it'll be a little while) to practice first. I am doing it slowly.

Thanks

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi

Are you Lamont Glass in the video? If so, thanks so much for making the video on casting. I notice the video was posted only yesterday. Too bad you are in Wa. I am in the Silicon Valley close to San Jose. It would be so nice to have your school here.

I watched your video again and try to practice casting. I talked about hitting like you described, but today I really followed yours, it's not easy, I am really starting from ground scratch on casting now that I know this is the correct way. Give me some time( it'll be a little while) to practice first. I am doing it slowly.

Thanks
Yes, that is me.
Don't get too hung up on copying exactly what I am doing here. In the video I occasionally slash through the target instead of snapping every time. Just don't swing so far that you can't recover from it.

Good luck with your training, I appreciate your critical exploration of this unusual topic.

Lamont

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi

I am practicing stick fight with a cane for self defense, when I hit the heavy bag, when I miss the bag, the cane flew off from my hands even I am using 2 hands like Katana. What do people do to avoid this?

In fighting, opponent do back off and cause you to miss, I cannot afford to have the cane flies off. Short of tying a string to my wrist, what can I practice to hold onto the cane better?

Thanks
2 things that have helped me...
1 get a weighted 8 pound ball and target practice.
2 only swing as hard as you can accurately control the swing while simultaneously drawing your elbows tight to your body after the swing is accomplished.
The act of pulling the elbows in cuts the arc in a controlled manner.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
2 things that have helped me...
1 get a weighted 8 pound ball and target practice.
2 only swing as hard as you can accurately control the swing while simultaneously drawing your elbows tight to your body after the swing is accomplished.
The act of pulling the elbows in cuts the arc in a controlled manner.
What do you mean?

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, that is me.
Don't get too hung up on copying exactly what I am doing here. In the video I occasionally slash through the target instead of snapping every time. Just don't swing so far that you can't recover from it.

Good luck with your training, I appreciate your critical exploration of this unusual topic.

Lamont
Thanks Lamont

I watched a few of your videos, what I like is that you combine stick fight with punching, kicking and grappling. This is really good, it's all around. I so wish I have school like your in my area.

I understand that casting is a concept, that I don't use it 100%. I am not giving up swinging, but it's good to know and practice it so I have options. I understand your concept, I am doing it both on the heavy bag and in air, I want to doing it so I feel comfortable myself but still have the casting concept, that I reach to my hands are straight at the moment of contact.

In fact, this remind me of circle punches you see in UFC when people started like a hook but reach until the arm is straight and use the second knuckles(not the big knuckles, but the second smaller joints of the fingers) to hit the side of the head of the opponent. Or even a little bit of the Tae kwon Do Ridge Hand. I have been practicing circle punches lately, and I started to think about reaching out on top of the swing. I was experimenting this and talked about this, then your video solidify what I want to do.

So far( only two days of practice!!), I cannot generate as much power of a wide swing. BUT, I do get the "whooping" sound with casting practice( not as loud). Hopefully I can get more power as I settle down and practice for a while. Casting definitely lessen the chance of losing the cane if I miss the target. Also, I go to two hands so I can use a 20oz cane instead of a 11oz of so rattan cane, this by itself generates more power even though it's slower. Just like the 45ACP bullets, it has a lot of stopping power even thought it's slow because of the heavy slug. Ha ha, last thing I want if I use a light cane in self defense situation after I hit the guy, he look at me and say " ouch"!!!

thanks

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hang the 8 pound ball, head height and work on controlling the swing for accuracy and retention practice.
You mean those soft weighted balls? I can't find any with hooks to hang. Using a net?

Is this similar idea of the speed bag?

My problem is I don't have room, I already have two kicking bags, anything more has to be over the car!!! I do have a speed bag platform that I don't even use because I never find it helping anything. Maybe I can hang a smaller soft weight ball onto the platform instead of the speed bag.

Thanks

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
You mean those soft weighted balls? I can't find any with hooks to hang. Using a net?

Is this similar idea of the speed bag?

My problem is I don't have room, I already have two kicking bags, anything more has to be over the car!!! I do have a speed bag platform that I don't even use because I never find it helping anything. Maybe I can hang a smaller soft weight ball onto the platform instead of the speed bag.

Thanks
Yes a weighted ball or a maze bag made from Swiss balls at 5 below.

I used a towel to tie up with a rope and hang it on branches outside and I beams in my garage gym.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi

I am practicing stick fight with a cane for self defense, when I hit the heavy bag, when I miss the bag, the cane flew off from my hands even I am using 2 hands like Katana. What do people do to avoid this?

In fighting, opponent do back off and cause you to miss, I cannot afford to have the cane flies off. Short of tying a string to my wrist, what can I practice to hold onto the cane better?

Thanks
The katana swing is one way to hold the stick but explore different methods. I spent some time training La Canne Vigney and it has some great single stick fighting techniques.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
20210815_092644.jpg

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the idea, I have been really experimenting. I have a speed bag setup, the bag is broken and won't pump. I just open it and put 3lbs of weight and tape it back up and try. It really works. It swing so fast in all different ways it's so hard to hit, I miss a lot more than I hit. That really help training to hold onto the stick. Here is the picture:
Weighted speed bag.jpg

You can see I taped the top part of the bag to make it smaller.

I ordered and received the 8lbs ball. I am going to put into a netting and hang with a chain to the ceiling of the garage. These are what I ordered:
Amazon.com : Slam Ball Medicine Ball, Ideal for Cross Training, Core Exercises Plyometric and Cardio Workouts : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: VOKOLY Single Ball Mesh Net Bag Carrier Hold for Carrying and Storage Football Basketball Volleyball or Any Balls (SA11C-1) : Sports & Outdoors

Everything will be in today and I am going to hang it up in a day or two. We'll see. Now I will have two stations. I like the 8lbs ball I got, it's only 8" diameter, smaller than any other ones I can find, most are 10" or basket ball size. This one is no bigger than the head. My suspicion is the speed bag one is harder to hit.

Thanks for the idea, this is really good.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the idea, I have been really experimenting. I have a speed bag setup, the bag is broken and won't pump. I just open it and put 3lbs of weight and tape it back up and try. It really works. It swing so fast in all different ways it's so hard to hit, I miss a lot more than I hit. That really help training to hold onto the stick. Here is the picture:
View attachment 27118

You can see I taped the top part of the bag to make it smaller.

I ordered and received the 8lbs ball. I am going to put into a netting and hang with a chain to the ceiling of the garage. These are what I ordered:
Amazon.com : Slam Ball Medicine Ball, Ideal for Cross Training, Core Exercises Plyometric and Cardio Workouts : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: VOKOLY Single Ball Mesh Net Bag Carrier Hold for Carrying and Storage Football Basketball Volleyball or Any Balls (SA11C-1) : Sports & Outdoors

Everything will be in today and I am going to hang it up in a day or two. We'll see. Now I will have two stations. I like the 8lbs ball I got, it's only 8" diameter, smaller than any other ones I can find, most are 10" or basket ball size. This one is no bigger than the head. My suspicion is the speed bag one is harder to hit.

Thanks for the idea, this is really good.
I used 8 pounds because the average head weighs about that much. I dont use the speed bag because it limits the angles I can swing.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I used 8 pounds because the average head weighs about that much. I dont use the speed bag because it limits the angles I can swing.
I am waiting for the ceiling loop hook and the net to come in today and put it on. I am excited about the 8lbs ball, I think not only for cane, I can use it for punching also. I bet it is more realistic like the opponent's head moving around. I practiced speed bag for a while, I absolutely do NOT find it useful in any way.

I am going to modify the speed bag again, I am going to wrap the weights with towels and put it back it. Hopefully it will last longer. I can tell you, it's HARD to hit. I would say I hit one out of 4 times today. I might get better later, but it's hard for now.

thanks for your idea.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Everything arrived and I hung it up. I tried it, it's too slow, I hit about 10 times and I did not miss one time yet. Maybe 8lbs is too heavy and slow. This is disappointing, still the speed bag is a lot more useful.

I have to think more about how to do this, I really need one that is fast enough so I miss on and off. Maybe I should hand the ball on the speed bag platform, but I think it's going to too big and it's hard to miss also.

BUT, the idea is very good, just have to implement it correctly.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Everything arrived and I hung it up. I tried it, it's too slow, I hit about 10 times and I did not miss one time yet. Maybe 8lbs is too heavy and slow. This is disappointing, still the speed bag is a lot more useful.

I have to think more about how to do this, I really need one that is fast enough so I miss on and off. Maybe I should hand the ball on the speed bag platform, but I think it's going to too big and it's hard to miss also.

BUT, the idea is very good, just have to implement it correctly.
You should also be moving around as if you are fighting and not just standing and swinging. I would also add different types of strikes.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You should also be moving around as if you are fighting and not just standing and swinging. I would also add different types of strikes.
Ha ha, I have to move the car out to do that. I'll try that the next work out session.

Too bad I don't have any tree big enough in my yard. The shorter the chain, the faster it is going to move. Right now, the chain is 24" long, just too slow. Here is the setup:
Weight ball.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha, I have to move the car out to do that. I'll try that the next work out session.

Too bad I don't have any tree big enough in my yard. The shorter the chain, the faster it is going to move. Right now, the chain is 24" long, just too slow. Here is the setup:
View attachment 27119

Thanks
Good stuff!

Latest Discussions