How to minimize cane flying off the hand when misses the target?

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just want to update, I've been practicing casting and I really like it. The idea is reaching and pull back after point of contact is really good stuff. Not only this reduce the chance of cane flying off when missed, it's a lot more compact, I don't need as much space around to swing. If you look at my setup, bags are close together and it's hard to avoid accidentally hit the other bags if I do full swing. With casting, I don't hit the other bags that often at all. This to me, is more important in self defense where you don't have an open space to swing wild. Less chance of hitting stuffs in the surrounding accidentally, meaning less chance of cane flying off the hand. All these days, I think I only lost my cane once, that was after I was sweating and the cane was very slippery.

As for practicing on moving target where I can miss, the speed bag is the best. I pretty much gave up the 8lbs ball on the chain for now. It's too slow and I have no problem hitting it even I move around the ball freely. BUT, that is a good idea for punching. I am modifying my setup, I am going to get a 12lbs ball instead. 8lbs is too light for punching. I am modifying to make the chain much shorter to increase the speed of the ball.

This is the MOST helpful thread since I join the forum. The casting really change my perspective on cane fight. Then the swinging ball gives me all the ideas not only on cane, but on punching.

Let me practice more and I'll make a video and post it.

Thanks

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, apparently you are doing something when you hit the bag that you aren't doing when you just hit air. Maybe there is some sort of flinch going on. Or maybe the follow through of your swing is awkward. Are you bending your wrist or opening your grip in some way on the follow up swing?

I'd say to just keep practicing in such a way that you unexpectedly hit or miss the bag, and eventually, you'll figure out what you're doing wrong and correct it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi

I am practicing stick fight with a cane for self defense, when I hit the heavy bag, when I miss the bag, the cane flew off from my hands even I am using 2 hands like Katana. What do people do to avoid this?

In fighting, opponent do back off and cause you to miss, I cannot afford to have the cane flies off. Short of tying a string to my wrist, what can I practice to hold onto the cane better?

Thanks
Are you using gloves?
I have run into the issue, if the glove is large enough to fit then the bar on the thumb prohibits making a tight grip.
I have sparred this way where if I held it straight up and down it would fall to the floor.

This is in conjunction with the comments about loose grip.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmm, apparently you are doing something when you hit the bag that you aren't doing when you just hit air. Maybe there is some sort of flinch going on. Or maybe the follow through of your swing is awkward. Are you bending your wrist or opening your grip in some way on the follow up swing?

I'd say to just keep practicing in such a way that you unexpectedly hit or miss the bag, and eventually, you'll figure out what you're doing wrong and correct it.
I think the most likely reason is my hands sweat a lot, after two or three rounds, they are all wet and very slippery. That's when it happened.

The cane I go out with has a safeguard, I have a rope looping around my wrist!!! Also more importantly, I won't be sweating in self defense incident. I'll keep practicing and see what happens.

Thanks

Latest Discussions