My experience with American kenpo

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now this isn't a post to bash the style because I do believe kenpo is a great and effective style. I'm simply commenting on the club I trained at which was not good and just not a nice place and I wanted to share my experiences. So I hope no kenpo people or traditional martial artists take offence.

But the school I trained at it felt more like a cult. If any of the higher students who'd been there a while missed even 1 lesson they'd talk so much trash about them behind their back. One of the assistant instructors didnt come one night because it was his mums birthday and they were so nasty about that calling him a mummy's boy and an idiot etc.

Also one thing I didnt like was the hero worship they give to the higher level belts I mean they talk about them like their gods and can't do anything wrong. I know some may not find this a big deal but it just made me cringe.

The main problem though was it was a high amount of...well not bullying but not any consideration. Like when practicing techniques they'd hit hard literally full contact to the groin and if they were doing that and the student moved or flinched they'd get told off for it.

There was one black belt there a young guy 22 he was at the time a 2nd dan and he was a horrible person if someone had upset him he'd beat them up with the techniques hitting 100%. It was kind if knowledge if he was upset try and avoid him in line because he'd go hard even if it wasnt you who'd upset him. Another time a guy threw an attack for a techique and it wasnt a great attack because I think the guy was nervous about getting smacked so he didnt commit and that the guy annoyed and instead of either adjusting and making it work or asking him to do it again he simply booted him hard in the groin and said do the attack or you'll get that.

The worst thing I saw from him through was in sparring he was sparring a teenage student about 15 maybe and he got caught with a kick that knocked him. Instead of smiling and saying good job he simply walked over in no stance and threw a hard punch in the kids face not even sparring like just like he was pissed and wanted to hurt him.

Not long after that I quit. It was just not a nice atmosphere and I was constantly on edge. It has soured me on traditional martial arts. I do understand that most schools are not like that at all but yeah it wasn't a good place but I did enjoy the style. Just thought I'd share my experiences.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think this has anything to do with Kenpo. Probably shouldn't have been in the thread title.
I know, I know, it was a Kenpo school, but you probably get my point.

I'm sorry you had to through a place like that, it kind of sucks. But you rose above it. Dude, that's awesome!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds like that guy was an *** and the dojo had a bad atmosphere. Good for you for getting out.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think this has anything to do with Kenpo. Probably shouldn't have been in the thread title.
I know, I know, it was a Kenpo school, but you probably get my point.

I'm sorry you had to through a place like that, it kind of sucks. But you rose above it. Dude, that's awesome!

I agree with you I thought that just after I'd posted it and tried to edit it but it seems you can't edit titles on here. But as I stated I have nothing against the art at all. I probably should've called it something like my prior martial art experience or something,

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like that guy was an *** and the dojo had a bad atmosphere. Good for you for getting out.
It was a shame because most of the guys there were decent and the head instructor was a good guy but that second dan was his first ever student and first ever white- black belt he trained personally and he did try and control him but the guy had a big ego

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's like with real life. Rich people's kids can be A-holes, and as a school owner, you are going to want to cater to rich people's kids; so, you gotta walk a fine line, knowing that if you lean too far, either way, you can lose your business. :)

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Now this isn't a post to bash the style because I do believe kenpo is a great and effective style. I'm simply commenting on the club I trained at which was not good and just not a nice place and I wanted to share my experiences. So I hope no kenpo people or traditional martial artists take offence.

But the school I trained at it felt more like a cult. If any of the higher students who'd been there a while missed even 1 lesson they'd talk so much trash about them behind their back. One of the assistant instructors didnt come one night because it was his mums birthday and they were so nasty about that calling him a mummy's boy and an idiot etc.

Also one thing I didnt like was the hero worship they give to the higher level belts I mean they talk about them like their gods and can't do anything wrong. I know some may not find this a big deal but it just made me cringe.

The main problem though was it was a high amount of...well not bullying but not any consideration. Like when practicing techniques they'd hit hard literally full contact to the groin and if they were doing that and the student moved or flinched they'd get told off for it.

There was one black belt there a young guy 22 he was at the time a 2nd dan and he was a horrible person if someone had upset him he'd beat them up with the techniques hitting 100%. It was kind if knowledge if he was upset try and avoid him in line because he'd go hard even if it wasnt you who'd upset him. Another time a guy threw an attack for a techique and it wasnt a great attack because I think the guy was nervous about getting smacked so he didnt commit and that the guy annoyed and instead of either adjusting and making it work or asking him to do it again he simply booted him hard in the groin and said do the attack or you'll get that.

The worst thing I saw from him through was in sparring he was sparring a teenage student about 15 maybe and he got caught with a kick that knocked him. Instead of smiling and saying good job he simply walked over in no stance and threw a hard punch in the kids face not even sparring like just like he was pissed and wanted to hurt him.

Not long after that I quit. It was just not a nice atmosphere and I was constantly on edge. It has soured me on traditional martial arts. I do understand that most schools are not like that at all but yeah it wasn't a good place but I did enjoy the style. Just thought I'd share my experiences.

Wow:eek::eek::eek: it sound like your school is really bad.

You really should report it. It hard to seem school would be that bad and what is going on.

You really should report it if it is this bad.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well from what I read in this thread it might be possible to hit the school with a lawsuit.
Not unless a teenage karate expert got out of control.
upload_2016-7-12_21-57-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-12_21-56-23.png
    upload_2016-7-12_21-56-23.png
    7 KB · Views: 265

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well from what I read in this thread it might be possible to hit the school with a lawsuit.

I daresay in some places you could do that, I've watched Judge Judy LOL but it's very unlikely that if that if this were in the UK (or where the OP lives, not the UK) you could either take it to court (cost you a fortune even if it were a viable case) or you can 'report' it. Karma though will probably sort it, at some point especially in martial arts one comes across someone bigger/stronger/skilled who 'sorts' out the bullies.

D

Dylan9d

It made me laugh and made me think how much people value their belts and titles, its pathetic.

My teacher was called Guru Besar by the outside world, which means Grandmaster, but for me he was just Oom Jim (uncle Jim).

The only title im proud of in my life is the one of "dad" or "daddy".

Reaction score
The objective and job of an instructor is to make every student better than himself or herself. Clearly these instructors think their students should never become better than them, but they are wrong! The way martial arts evolve is by instructors passing on techniques they are not able to do, but they see if their students can.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The objective and job of an instructor is to make every student better than himself or herself. Clearly these instructors think their students should never become better than them, but they are wrong! The way martial arts evolve is by instructors passing on techniques they are not able to do, but they see if their students can.
No just the one guy the head instructor was a great guy he was a good teacher a decent guy. A bit arrogant but well he was a 7th dan, a former soldier and a police officer I guess there's bound to be a bit of arrogance there but he was fine and a guy I do still have a lot of respect for

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Idiots and jerks take karate lessons, too.
Exactly I've never bought into this thing that martial arts turn absoloute scumbags into angels. Sure some people can end up being better people but if you're already such a horrible person. I do remember a scene in the movie perfect weapon when the main character had been fighting a lot so went to kenpo and years later some guy hit his brother so he beat up the guy badly and nearly killed him. I remember the quote from the father.

"I sent you to martial arts to chanel your aggression and this is what you've learnt, you haven't changed only difference is now you're dangerous"

I think it does happen like that with some

Latest Discussions