My 1st Motorcycle

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good tank bag goes a long way. I carry a small first aid kit, water, snacks, maps, etc. For trips I have saddlebags (expandable) and a tailbag.

See.. I just knew somebody that rode a sportsbike would have an answer..Bravo...

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My bike was a 1989 katana 750 Black and yellow. loved that bike.

This month on the 14th of April I hopfully will be picking up a 2000 FXR 4
Harley D. it has 4,659 miles on it. It is in GREAT Shape.

Kosho

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Make sure when you apply for bike insurance you have a policy that will replace your bike and NOT give you what the blue book says its worth..A cop buddy just got his SuperGlide ripped off..When he called to make his claim they gave him the song and dance about well the book says its only worth so much..My policy says if my Glide is ripped off they get me another one..Yeah I pay more per year but piece of mind is worth it, I dont wanna have a bikeless Summer...

I carry a good long lenght of chain and a real strong lock and I always chain to somthing and not just through the front wheels or forks..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If anyone else is toying with the idea of buying a bike ya better hurry..The last couple of days up here have been beautiful and sales have been brisk according to the HD salesman..Another retired cop buddy went to look at bikes one day and couldnt make up his mind..He returned 2 days later and found that the supply had dwindled..He quickly put a down payment on one..

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, the weather has been superb in the north east :) I even got myself a new Arai for this year, after losing most of last season to that $4.50 a gallon nonsense. On the new ones you can take out the pads, wash them, and put them back. How long did that take? LOL I hear it's going to rain almost solid for the next week, but I got out this past weekend so I can last a bit.

Another sportbike tip, get a new horn. My Beemer had a 3xx series car horn, and it was awesome. I just bought a 108db horn from one of the online places (don't remember which) and will be putting it in this week. It helps to be heard!

I need to get a few pics of my CBR up, so you can see what a sportbike can 'transformer' into :) It's got a total of 4 bags on it most days :lol:

Last edited:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another sportbike tip, get a new horn. My Beemer had a 3xx series car horn, and it was awesome. I just bought a 108db horn from one of the online places (don't remember which) and will be putting it in this week. It helps to be heard!

Not just sportsbikes, but EVERY motorcyclist should invest in a very LOUD horn...

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Finally decided to visit this section.

Above all else, just be safe. I've been riding for 20 years and I don't worry about me, I worry about that vehicle not worrying about me.

Have fun also, I love a good bike ride on those back country roads, peaceful, relieves the stress and just downright relaxing.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Finally decided to visit this section.

Above all else, just be safe. I've been riding for 20 years and I don't worry about me, I worry about that vehicle not worrying about me.

Have fun also, I love a good bike ride on those back country roads, peaceful, relieves the stress and just downright relaxing.

Yup..After a stressfull day there is NOTHING like a ride through the park..

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok you guys!!!!

I took my 1st motorcycle class yesterday. I signed up for "Inrto to Motorcycles" class. This class is for people who hve never been on a bike and used a cluth and what not.

I thoroughly enjoyed the class. It consisted of 3 hours of bike riding and learning how to shift from 1st to 2nd and using the clutch amongst other small things that beginners should know.

I must say I was nervous but had a great time and I can't wait for my MSF Basic Riders Class to start tomorrow. I will admit I was such a novice to bike riding and I have a lot to learn.

1. This is a motorcycle and not a bicycle so I have to stop putting my foot on the ground when I think I am in trouble. I am going to buy some motorcycle boots so I don't mess up my regular boots while I learn.

2. Shifting is trickier than I thought and will take a lot of practice in my garage just going from Neutral to first and back. Finding neutral was the hardest thing for me. I kept passing it and going into the next gear.

3. I wish the display on bikes would tell you what gear you are in other than neutral.

4. I had no idea there was a foot break. All I knew was the hand break. :) I have to learn to use both.

5. Riding a motorcycle involves both hands and both feet and it takes a lot of coordination. One false move and you will be on your way to the hospital.

6. Wearing the heltmet wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I like wearing it. (Bought a Scorpion EXO-700)

7. I got to class a little late and ended up with a dirt bike. I will make sure to arrive early this weekend to make sure I get a cruiser. That dirt bike killed my thighs and ***. That seat is unforgiving.

8. Anyone who doesn't have any experience riding bikes and just tries to learn on their own and from friends without taking this course is an idiot.

9. I won't be on my crotch rocket until I get eveything down. (except in a empty parking lot to practice of course)

10. Had to learn to look up and ahead instead of down at the ground. When I look down at the ground I swerve like a drunk man.

11. The clutch is my best friend.

12. Once you get going it sure does feel good.

13. I bought the book titled Proficient Motorcycling to help me in my motorcycle learning journey. 2 thumbs up on this book. It is made to help the beginner or anyone else and focuses on street riding.

14. Maybe a smaller cc bike that is a cruiser would have been a wiser choice to start with than the cbr600rr bike that I have.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok you guys!!!!

1. This is a motorcycle and not a bicycle so I have to stop putting my foot on the ground when I think I am in trouble.

When I took the MC course for LEO's I had that habit too.. The Sgt duc taped my foot to the floorboard and that cured me real fast

I am going to buy some motorcycle boots so I don't mess up my regular boots while I learn.

Now you too will laugh when you see some nimrod riding a bike in his flip flops..

2. Shifting is trickier than I thought and will take a lot of practice in my garage just going from Neutral to first and back. Finding neutral was the hardest thing for me. I kept passing it and going into the next gear.

Yep, it takes a little practice..I remember one time forgetting to shift into first at a light and attempting to take off in 3rd gear...The bike stalled and died..This was in the days before electric starters and they usually didnt fire up on the first kick...

4. I had no idea there was a foot break. All I knew was the hand break. :) I have to learn to use both.

Yep..Grab the front by mistake sometime and you will find yourself in front of your bike on your head..

5. Riding a motorcycle involves both hands and both feet and it takes a lot of coordination. One false move and you will be on your way to the hospital..

Maybe not the hospital, but you will fall down and go boom..

8. Anyone who doesn't have any experience riding bikes and just tries to learn on their own and from friends without taking this course is an idiot.

No name calling..There were no classes when I started riding..I taught myself with a little help from my friends and I have taught many others to ride..It just comes easier to some

9. I won't be on my crotch rocket until I get eveything down. (except in a empty parking lot to practice of course)

Smart man...

10. Had to learn to look up and ahead instead of down at the ground. When I look down at the ground I swerve like a drunk man.

It takes practice, practice, practice...

11. The clutch is my best friend.

12. Once you get going it sure does feel good.

Yes..

14. Maybe a smaller cc bike that is a cruiser would have been a wiser choice to start with than the cbr600rr bike that I have.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:) Glad to see you starting with that course. Now you know why we all freaked a bit when you said your first bike was a 100+ HP CBR!

If you like books, once again "A Twist of The Wrist" by Keith Code is just about the best there is for riding a sportbike. It covers a lot of ground, and teaches you how to constantly improve as a rider as well.

And you should be able to get something aftermarket that will tell you what gear you're in. The aftermarket kits don't work on carbed bikes like my old Blackbird, but they are out there. I'll look around and see if I can find one for you. (My BMW told you what gear you were in on the dash)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wait until you start packing a passenger..Its a whole new experience...I hope you eventually get a cruiser..I never met a motorcycling lady not willing to climb on the back of my Hawg, but balked at being seated on the back of a crotch rocket...

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wait until you start packing a passenger..Its a whole new experience...I hope you eventually get a cruiser..I never met a motorcycling lady not willing to climb on the back of my Hawg, but balked at being seated on the back of a crotch rocket...

I can definately see myself getting a cruiser in a few years. I look forward to being on 1 this weekend for my MSF class.

I wonder what it would be like to have a chick on the back but then again I am not expereiced enough to even attempt to try it.

I downloaded the owners manual and service manual for my bike last night and figured out how to find and take out the battery. Since my bike won't start I figure it needs a new battery. All I hear is a clicking sound and the bike has been sitting over a month.

I plan on going to a empty parking lot to practice today since the weather is perfect.

I had my MSF classroom training last night which was cool. it last 4 1/2 hours but was very informative and I learned a lot. I am now just a few days away from wrapping it up.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And you should be able to get something aftermarket that will tell you what gear you're in. The aftermarket kits don't work on carbed bikes like my old Blackbird, but they are out there. I'll look around and see if I can find one for you. (My BMW told you what gear you were in on the dash)

Really?!?!?! I had no idea at all. I will definately google it and see what I can come up with. I know as I start out it would be beneficial until I can tell on my own.

You know I feel comfortable sittin on my bike but I am very cautious about the power it has. The dirt bike I had in class was totally uncomfortable. The seat killed me and I just felt ackward. My had did hit the throttle too much one time and I freaked out. At that precise moment I was glad I was on the 200cc dirt bike and not on my 600cc CBR.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can definately see myself getting a cruiser in a few years. I look forward to being on 1 this weekend for my MSF class.

I wonder what it would be like to have a chick on the back but then again I am not expereiced enough to even attempt to try it.

Did ya ever ride ya buddy on the back of your bicycle?? Its about the same..Once ya get use to the weight difference ya won't have any problems...Nothing better than cruising around with a firm set of errr....ahhh....arms pressed against your back..

I downloaded the owners manual and service manual for my bike last night and figured out how to find and take out the battery. Since my bike won't start I figure it needs a new battery. All I hear is a clicking sound and the bike has been sitting over a month.

Yep..Ya got a dead battery..Also pick up a trickle charger..Keeps a steady suppy of juice flowing into your battery during those long down times..Don't skimp on the price...Get the one where one half is permentantly affixed you your battery terminals and ends in a quick disconnect device..So if ya know your not gonna be able to ride you just attach the charger unit..

I plan on going to a empty parking lot to practice today since the weather is perfect.

I had my MSF classroom training last night which was cool. it last 4 1/2 hours but was very informative and I learned a lot. I am now just a few days away from wrapping it up.

As I have warned others..Once ya get the shifting patterns down get out of the parking lot and hit the streets...Ya can learn more about handling your bike just putting around the hood than in a parking lot..

Last edited:
OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok yesterday was a great day and I decided that I wanted to practice in the parking lot. I got my battery charged at a local shop. The guy told me it held a charge and should be fine but sometimes the charge may not last.

Well I got home and it started right up. I was on my way out of my townhome community and stopped at a stop sign and forgot to hold the clutch when I let off the gas. The bike cut off as I started to go and caught me off guard and (I don't know how...) the bike was starting to fall to the side and slowly despite my superior strength (i am 6'2 160) I couldn't hold it up and it "lightly kissed" the ground. The only thing hurt was my pride as I saw a hot looking chick come out of her house with her dog. I couldn't pull the visor down fast enough on my helmet.

It took me 5 minutes and the strength of Hercules to get the bike back upright. Not to mention I had 3 cars stop and look at me. Again, nothing hurt but my pride.

I got it started and rode back home with my ego barely holding on. I could tell while I was riding that the bike could barely get up in speed. After I pulled in the garage and tried to cut it back on I heard the same clicking sound. I see I will need a new battery. Bike just wasn't getting enough juice to go. I had stopped a couple of times when I first went out and it took me a minute to turn the bike on so I knew it was the battery then.

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's not about strength when picking up a fallen bike, but technique. Proper technique and even a small person can pick up a Goldwing.

As for your drop, it happens. Now that it's out of the way you can focus on riding. Might want to get some frame sliders since your plastics are expensive.

Parking lots are great for low speed stuff. Take your time and don't rush. I've ridden an '06 CBR 600. Don't let yourself get to comfortable. That bike is fast as hell. Be mindful of self and surroundings and ride safe.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not about strength when picking up a fallen bike, but technique. Proper technique and even a small person can pick up a Goldwing.

Kurai speaks the truth..I cannot tell you how many times I dropped my bike during police training..Try standing up a Harley Police bike using brute strenght, it aint gonna happen..Most of the Harley cruisers come equipped with case guards, mistakenly called crash bars...You simply hold the handle bars rock it a few times,and time it so you to give a good push when the bike is at the the highest off the ground..

As for your drop, it happens. Now that it's out of the way you can focus on riding. Might want to get some frame sliders since your plastics are expensive.

Yep..Its happened, you delt with it, and its time to get back to the task at hand which is concentrating on your riding...Frame slider are not a bad idea..

Don't let yourself get to comfortable. That bike is fast as hell. Be mindful of self and surroundings and ride safe.

Well said...

Last edited:
OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok my motorcycle friends, I have some bad news to share....

I failed my skills test this past Sunday. Sat & Sun I had the BRC range class. Saturday was great and I ot everything down with no problem minus some shifting problems.
Sunday was a different story though. I had problems shifting gears (gear pedal would get stuck and had the hardest time downshifting & up shifting .....kept getting stuck in Neutral.)

I took the test and failed. I failed at braking and downshifting at the same time. That was due to the fact I kept hitting neutral on my downshift than going into 1st. My bike was brand new and maybe that was it, Im not sure.

I am depressed and upset. I can take it again and I will do it at the end of the month. I will take my bike out (which I have no problems shifting at all) and practice in the parking lot and work on the drills that we had to do for the skills test.

Any tips/advice?

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
First off, relax about the test. Every body has an off day once and a while. I think that your plan to find a parking lot and practice the drills a lot more is about the best thing that you can do. Nothing will build your skills, and therefore confidence, like having your butt in the seat.

About the drop. We all fall down. There are only two kinds of riders. The ones that have dropped a bike, and the ones that will. It happens, be glad it was while you were going real slow.

Take your time and enjoy the bike.

Mark