Motorcycles

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've thought about buying a motorcycle for awhile now. I like the idea of a street and trail Kaw 650. but I've heard these are uncomfortable to ride long distances. What are some of your experiences with bikes? Cruisers, sport and duel purpose? I'm looking for something I can ride back and forth to work, and once in a while go on long rides with my bro-in -law. And make the 250 mile trip to Pittsburgh to visit family and friends. Any bikers out there?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've thought about buying a motorcycle for awhile now. I like the idea of a street and trail Kaw 650. but I've heard these are uncomfortable to ride long distances. What are some of your experiences with bikes? Cruisers, sport and duel purpose? I'm looking for something I can ride back and forth to work, and once in a while go on long rides with my bro-in -law. And make the 250 mile trip to Pittsburgh to visit family and friends. Any bikers out there?

I've been a bike rider since the late 60's and a Harley owner since the 80's..A 250 mile trip NEEDS a cruiser, turn on the radio and ride...Now everyone will tell you all kinds of crap about HD's, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM..Sure the Jap cruisers are cheaper and look like Harleys and can sound like Harleys, but they aint..The BIG difference comes when you go to trade up and discover that your Honda,Kawaski etc...etc.. just don't have a big trade in value..
Bought my last Harley for $9,965.00 had it for 5 years when I went to trade up they gave me $9,900 without argument.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Drac a cruiser and it has to be a Hog, they are the best

OP
RED

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been a bike rider since the late 60's and a Harley owner since the 80's..A 250 mile trip NEEDS a cruiser, turn on the radio and ride...Now everyone will tell you all kinds of crap about HD's, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM..Sure the Jap cruisers are cheaper and look like Harleys and can sound like Harleys, but they aint..The BIG difference comes when you go to trade up and discover that your Honda,Kawaski etc...etc.. just don't have a big trade in value..
Bought my last Harley for $9,965.00 had it for 5 years when I went to trade up they gave me $9,900 without argument.

I like HD as much as the next guy. I've thrown my leg over quite a few bikes lately. The HD felt the most sturdy and felt good under me. I would like to have a cruiser but to be honest I can't afford a HD. I'm looking to keep the price around 3K. I plan on buying used, but not in a basket case. I've been leaning towards the dual purpose to kill two birds with one stone. I would like to go off road occationally, but on the other hand like you said the 250 mile trip would be best on a cruiser. What are Buells like? I don't see many around here, and I haven't sat on one yet. I am completely new to bikes. I've rode some trail bikes, but my experience has mainly been ATCs. different worlds.

Thanks.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I swung my leg over my first bike in 1968 and have ridden every style sense. 250 mile trip - cruiser. The first dual purpose I had was a 1976 Yamaha XT500, while they are a blast you have to remember they are a comprimise, which in reality means they can do several things, but cannot excel at any one thing. Sure I made a few longer trips with the on/off's I've owned, but they are NOT good road bikes. A good suspension for trail riding is not what you need for pavement - too soft and it WILL wash out on you if you need to make a quick emergency move. If you have ridden for a while the wash-out can be controlled, or even used to your advantage, but for a new rider it means a scratch-and-dent sale.

As much as I hate to admit it about the HD's there is NOTING out there that holds their value like them. I've seen a couple ethat have sold for more than they were bought for, but that isn't the norm either. In your case I would be leaning toward the HD knock-off's the rice burners make. Sure they are cheaper, but they are still very good quality and you will get years of pleasue out of them. I lean toward Kawasaki personally, but that is just like the Ford -VS- Chevy argument really. Get one that fits you, feels good, and have a bike mechanic look it over before you lay down your cash. They are a different animal than a car and a couple of dollars spent at a bike shop can be worth its weight in gold in the long run.

Good luck and welcome to the club. :)

Remember - MOST CARS DO NOT SEE YOU!! When you ride a bike, you also have to be "driving" every single car you ride around, because they will: turn in front of you, ride your rear tire, change lanes right into you, and just act like you are not there. Ride smart, ride safe and enjoy.

lkblair

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can't speak from personal experience - only what my hubby has told me. He's not a cruiser guy, so I can't help with that aspect. He's had several bikes in his time. He *loves* his dual sport but not for long distances. The 75mile trip to his parents' house is about all he can take on it, though he does really enjoy street riding for shorter distances. He's had a Yamaha R6 and currently has an R1. He likes both of these for longer trips. He took his R1 on a 400 mile trek across California late last year; he was tired afterwards, but truly enjoyed the ride. He has had 3 Suzuki SV650 bikes in the past and maintains that this is a great bike for a beginner - easy to handle, plenty of get-up-and-go, and a fun ride.

Hope that provides some additional food for thought.

Lisa

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like HD as much as the next guy. I've thrown my leg over quite a few bikes lately. The HD felt the most sturdy and felt good under me. I would like to have a cruiser but to be honest I can't afford a HD. I'm looking to keep the price around 3K. I plan on buying used, but not in a basket case. I've been leaning towards the dual purpose to kill two birds with one stone. I would like to go off road occationally, but on the other hand like you said the 250 mile trip would be best on a cruiser. What are Buells like? I don't see many around here, and I haven't sat on one yet. I am completely new to bikes. I've rode some trail bikes, but my experience has mainly been ATCs. different worlds.

Thanks.

Buells are built for SPEED..At 3K your choices will be limited, but still check the dealership floors and IF you have a moderate income check if he Harley Finanical program can assist..I have never been a fan of dual purpose bikes so I cannot give advise you there..All my bikes have been used,and have been excellent.. They are already broken in and any "gremlins" that appear in the first 500-1000 miles have been exorcised..Buying from an individual is a risky business and you have to rely on your gut feelings about the honesty of the seller..

My "Sporty" came from a guy that had just pick up a Dyna-Glide and needed the room..Another hope is a seller whose wife said "Get rid of that ****ing bike"...

He has had 3 Suzuki SV650 bikes in the past and maintains that this is a great bike for a beginner - easy to handle, plenty of get-up-and-go, and a fun ride.Hope that provides some additional food for thought.Lisa

A 650cc is a decent size for a bike..My first ride was a Harley Sportster, about 900cc..Just a basic MC...I added a windsheild and rode that bike to hell and back..Paid $2,000.00 for it and got full amount when I traded up to my first Glide.

In the end it will all come down to what you can afford if you do not want to take on payments..Look around carefully and keep us advised...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's where I give you all a laugh..My very first cycle was a Honda 50..Remember those???

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi RED, think about yr size when you are buying too... often the comfort factor depends a great deal on yr own body. Make sure that you can touch the ground comfortably if you are thinking road/trail, or if you are going the sports tourer route, make sure yr legs aren't too cramped. I ride a Kwaka ZZR600 and that eats up the long km trips quite happily. I'm not such a big fan of the cruisers myself, apparently it's quite difficult to jump off them if you do have a bingle. But it's all horses for courses in the end... each bike has it's own forte.
Whatever you get, it's also a good idea to think about how much gear you will want to carry with you on yr rides. A good gear rack/sack setup is a must!

Good luck!

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here's where I give you all a laugh..My very first cycle was a Honda 50..Remember those???

I love those postie bikes! Pretty decent pick up and you can thrash them to death..
icon10.gif
That's a great first bike... mine was a gutless GN250... i lasted 3 months before i upgraded to a Kwaka GPX250.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember - MOST CARS DO NOT SEE YOU!! When you ride a bike, you also have to be "driving" every single car you ride around, because they will: turn in front of you, ride your rear tire, change lanes right into you, and just act like you are not there. Ride smart, ride safe and enjoy.

Hi RED, think about yr size when you are buying too... often the comfort factor depends a great deal on yr own body. Make sure that you can touch the ground comfortably if you are thinking road/trail, or if you are going the sports tourer route, make sure yr legs aren't too cramped.
Good luck!

GREAT points to keep in mind..............

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love those postie bikes! Pretty decent pick up and you can thrash them to death..
icon10.gif
That's a great first bike... mine was a gutless GN250... i lasted 3 months before i upgraded to a Kwaka GPX250.

Yep. Rode my first one to death..Dad picked up one for parts and we rebuilt it and ran it some more..We had 2 running and one for parts as parts from a dealership were RARE...

Latest Discussions