My 1st Motorcycle

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A leather jacket and boots are MANDATORY..I see a lot of jerks up here riding in shorts and flip flops...They cannot imagine how much skin they will scrape off if they should have an accident, how much road rash they will pick up..I dont care how hot it is, I always wear jeans and boots..Now if ya plan on riding at night or in cooler weather invest in a pair of chaps..

I have no knowledge when it comes to helmets and jackets.
Ok that is next then. I will go to the few motorcycle stores we have here in Minnesota and try to find something. I will make sure to get leather. I found a few helmets I like online but I know I need to go in person to a store and try some on so that I can get the correct size and feel. I have read that it is better to get a helmet that is Snell and DOT approved. Is that correct?

I have a pair of leather boots that go up past my ankles so I should be good there.

What about pants? I hear jeans aren't the "best" way.
I had to make a few concessions with the girlfriend and 1 was that I promised not to ride at night.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind when you are going to go out riding, if you fall off the bike, or get knocked off the bike, what you are wearing is going to affect how you come to a stop. Besides obviously hitting the ground hard and being bruised from that, remember that bare skin will get sandpapered right off. Fall down in jeans, and the threads of the jeans will grab the ground hard, and roll you. Bones get broken fast like that, as the rolling can be far, far worse than the initial hit of the pavement. And when you legs on down roll, so will your top, so going out in jeans could cause you arms to get broken unnecessarily as well ;) Leather will slide along the road, and you'll get a friction burn, but your skin will stay on and your bones will stay intact.

Leather is very hot to ride in on 100 degree days, but it is far safer than jeans or anything else. If it is really too hot to dress appropriately, consider not riding. And BE CAREFUL on that 600, that is a very, very powerful bike. It probably has as many horses as my '96 Blackbird, and is a few hundred pounds less. It really is not a beginners bike.

What else? .....Don't buy a used helmet! A used leather jacket is safe, but a good helmet can be rendered useless by a hard fall that will only slightly scratch the outside. So, don't buy a used helmet. Also, start walking around that bike every day, and looking at it, and looking hard. get to know every seem, every bolt, every bracket, every everything. Do it before you ride it every single time you ride it. Far better for you to notice a bolt is about to fall off (or just fell off) while you're pulling on your helmet in your driveway than when she does fall off on the highway.

There's lots of decent priced stuff out there these days, you don't have to pay Vanson money if you don't want to. Joe Rocket is a decent brand that isn't too pricey. Check New Enough as well, they have some great deals on occasion and good deals all the time.
And again, be careful on that bike, it is a freaking rocketship...tons of fun, but get used to it slowly

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I will make sure to get a new helmet. I see helmets certainly range in price from 200 to 500. Why such a big price difference?

So motorcycle pants are the best way to go? You have said enough for me to invest in some. I was thinking about jeans as being ok if I bought the little armor I saw you can buy to wear underneath it. Is that stuff no good or just be better to have bike pants.

I will certainly check out the links later today...thanks!

Just to get the bike and put my woman at ease I agreed to the conditions below. I swear it seems like I only get to ride on Sunday mornings. :)

1. Always wear a helmet
2. Always wear my motorcycle jacket
3. No riding at night.
4. No riding during peak traffic hours.
5. Take the "refresher" basic rider's class immediately after I take the basic rider class.
6. Take the experienced rider class after that.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here you go!

SANY0603.jpg

Nice.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I will make sure to get a new helmet. I see helmets certainly range in price from 200 to 500. Why such a big price difference?

Again the price comes from the name brand and fancy colors and graphics..You make the decision full face or not and go from there...Visit a dealership and check out the bargin table..Also E-bay has a serious selection of helmets..

So motorcycle pants are the best way to go? You have said enough for me to invest in some. I was thinking about jeans as being ok if I bought the little armor I saw you can buy to wear underneath it. Is that stuff no good or just be better to have bike pants.

Jeans will work and for cold weather chaps are almost a must..My buddy wears jeans and long johns in colder weather

Just to get the bike and put my woman at ease I agreed to the conditions below. I swear it seems like I only get to ride on Sunday mornings. :)

1. Always wear a helmet

During your first 2 years YES after that its your call

That jacket is gonna get real uncomfortable when the weather hits 90..Wear something lightweight that is NOT polyester.The shops that sell sports bikes have a clothing line of some lightweight stuff.

3. No riding at night.

Night riding is fun when..But ya gotta do what ya gotta do

I too avoided rush hour traffic if possible when I was first learning, and sometimes even now...

5. Take the "refresher" basic rider's class[/quote immediately after I take the basic rider class.

IMHO take the refresher course if its been awhile since ya been up on 2 wheels, the advanced course is your call..I have never taken any class except the police motorcycle class..​

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I will certainly check out the links later today...thanks!

1. Always wear a helmet
3. No riding at night.
5. Take the "refresher" basic rider's class immediately after I take the basic rider class.

Some helmet makers really are cutting edge, but as long as you have the proper and appropriate signoffs, like DOT and SNELL, you'll have a nice helmet. I personally wear an ARIA, but that's just me. It fit my head best when I went shopping. I don't really think it's a million times better than another good helmet, but you want a good fit when you're in it for hours.

Motorcycle pants are best for sportbikes, yes. Jeans are fine if you aren't going to crash or fall of your bike at high speeds. Jeans will roll you, that's the thing. Everyone wears them, but 'everyone' does all kinds of dopey stuff too ;) Any armor you can wear comfortably is a good move. You don't want to be like a medieval knight, but you want to be able to get up and walk away when you have a surprise issue.

Always wear a helmet. Ignore anyone who tells you 'freedom of choice' or whatever. When you get to be 60 you can make that choice if you get there. Full face is far safer than a brain bucket as well, ESPECIALLY ona sportbike. Always wear "a" motorcycle jacket, it's fine to have a nice leather and a good nylon one as well, for those crazy hot days. Do some research, shop well, and you'll easily find two nice jackets for the price of a used Vanson. I would also suggest you never ride without proper riding boots of some kind, and good racing gloves. Rememebr you are NOT on a Harley, don't dress like you're on one. Get a nice pair of racing gloves to protect your hands and palms, they cost like 30-40 bucks from Joe Rocket and others.

Take all those classes, and pay really close attention when they brush up counter steering :) Hit the libraru and borrow out Keith Code's excellent book "A Twist Of The Wrist". It's like The Bible for riding a sportsbike safely. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

You sound like you're committed to be safe and careful, so just have some fun too :) I have to say when I first saw that 600 I got worried for you a bit, but I think after reading your posts you'll be fine with her. I've been riding since '78 myself, almost solely on sportbikes, and it really is a lot of fun. And let's hope we don't see gas go to $4.50 like it did last summer!!

Keep her shiny side up :)

jim

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some helmet makers really are cutting edge, but as long as you have the proper and appropriate signoffs, like DOT and SNELL, you'll have a nice helmet. I personally wear an ARIA, but that's just me. It fit my head best when I went shopping. I don't really think it's a million times better than another good helmet, but you want a good fit when you're in it for hours.

Yes, dont buy your helmet at a big box store and like jim777 said look for the DOT and SNELL stickers of approval...Try a few on...

Motorcycle pants are best for sportbikes, yes. Jeans are fine if you aren't going to crash or fall of your bike at high speeds. Jeans will roll you, that's the thing. Everyone wears them, but 'everyone' does all kinds of dopey stuff too ;) Any armor you can wear comfortably is a good move. You don't want to be like a medieval knight, but you want to be able to get up and walk away when you have a surprise issue.

Like I said I dont know **** about crotch rocket riding...They do make special gear especially for them if I am not mistaken

Always wear a helmet. Ignore anyone who tells you 'freedom of choice' or whatever. When you get to be 60 you can make that choice if you get there. Full face is far safer than a brain bucket as well, ESPECIALLY ona sportbike. Always wear "a" motorcycle jacket, it's fine to have a nice leather and a good nylon one as well, for those crazy hot days. Do some research, shop well, and you'll easily find two nice jackets for the price of a used Vanson. I would also suggest you never ride without proper riding boots of some kind, and good racing gloves.

During the first couple of years the helmet thing is MANDATORY, after that it is YOUR CHOICE..Please dont ignore me as I have been riding since the late 60's and have been down a 1/2 dozen times..One of the great things about Hawgs is the case guards, they hit the ground first, all ya gotta do is hang on... GREAT POINTS, I forgot the gloves and boots issue...ALWAYS wear gloves and boots, dont be like some of the motards up here I see wearing running shorts and flip flo

Remember you are NOT on a Harley, don't dress like you're on one. Get a nice pair of racing gloves to protect your hands and palms, they cost like 30-40 bucks from Joe Rocket and others.

Amen..

Take all those classes, and pay really close attention when they brush up counter steering :) Hit the libraru and borrow out Keith Code's excellent book "A Twist Of The Wrist". It's like The Bible for riding a sportsbike safely. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Yes, there is a big difference riding between sportsbikes and regular cycle..

You sound like you're committed to be safe and careful, so just have some fun too :) I have to say when I first saw that 600 I got worried for you a bit, but I think after reading your posts you'll be fine with her. I've been riding since '78 myself, almost solely on sportbikes, and it really is a lot of fun. And let's hope we don't see gas go to $4.50 like it did last summer!!

Yes he does..I have ridden almost EVERTHING on 2 and 3 wheels..I cant believe I made it through the days of " apehangers" and rigid frames...When ya lose respect for the road and your machine bad things can happen...If ya ever feel the urge to do tricks go find a parking lot...Always ride like the others cant see or hear you...

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
During the first couple of years the helmet thing is MANDATORY, after that it is YOUR CHOICE..Please dont ignore me as I have been riding since the late 60's and have been down a 1/2 dozen times..One of the great things about Hawgs is the case guards, they hit the ground first, all ya gotta do is hang on... GREAT POINTS, I forgot the gloves and boots issue...ALWAYS wear gloves and boots, dont be like some of the motards up here I see wearing running shorts and flip flops.

I won't argue the 'helmet thing' with you. If you are on a Harley, you are feet first and leaning backwards. On a sport bike, you are hands first with your head over your feet. Cruisers are like sitting in a chair, sportbikes are more like Superman style flying. They really are completely different. You need a full face helmet on a sportbike, and you need it all the time; no ifs, ands, or buts. Sudden stops put you off the bike face first. If you ride a cruiser of any kind, and the law allows you to go without a helmet, well then you proved you were old enough to make decisions for yourself when you took your license test, and go with what you will. Wear one of those beanie helmets with the Iron Cross on it if it floats your boat (if you're on a cruiser). The style of riding, and the speeds generally involved don't make it quite as critical as it is for a spotbike rider.

The style of bike and the style of riding really requires full time use of full face helmets for sportbikes though. Only squids thinks otherwise (The t shirt & shorts, flip flops and helmet 'half on' wearing types - we've all seen them on their too short stays among the living.)

jim

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks a lot you guys. I will certainly keep my word and do as you all suggest.

I just got done signing up for 2 or the 3 classes I promised to take.
1. Intorduction to Motorcycles (I don't know how to use a clutch)
2. Basic Riders Course
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/mmsc/latest/MMSCHomeSecondary.asp?cid=3&mid=43

I will sign up later for the Basic Riders Refresher Course later.

The earliest class that I was able to get was the beginning of May which is fine. Gives me more time to just wash and wax her everyday. :)

I am only getting a full face helmet and will check some out in stores to get the right fit and then look online to get a better price. Hey I saw a helmet that has bluetooth inside of it. I wouldn't/don't want to use the phone while I'm riding but it would be nice to listen to my ipod while riding which you can do with this helmet. Too much for a beginner?

I will purchase the book this weekend and try and learn something...thanks for the tip!

Since I don't have anyone to ride with regulary I will have to be extra careful since I will be by myself. Somehow, I will try and find other folks to ride with.

I thought I was supposed to stay away from the nylon jackets with armor since leather is better? Yeah mesh would be A LOT cooler in the summer. Even though right now here in Minnesota it is 40 degrees...lol I will start looking into motorcycle pants and pick up a pair or 2. Man this gets expensive!!!!! Money better spent on preventive stuff than hospital bills.

I know the helmet will take awhile to get use too since i have never worn one. I will get one and spend time sitting in the house with it on so it doesn't seem alien to me.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would avoid having any sound at all in your helmet on a sportbike. No iPod, no phone, nada. And contrary to popular belief, while it's better in an emergency to have friends around, it is generally safer to ride by yourself and set your own pace than to ride with folks who will set your pace for you. I only reluctantly go out on group rides, and only for charity or with my brothers. I've been riding for 30 years + myself, and my dad was an NYPD Motorcycle cop so I got my first ride on a wheel when I was 2 :D

Leather is better than nylon, but nylon is better than a jean jacket and far better than nothing. A lot of the new nylon jackets are pretty good, armored and vented and all kinds of happiness. And they are definitely cooler when the weather hits the triple digits (when your tires stick the best and your bike is screaming to be taken out). Like I said, get 'last year's' leather instead of this year's and you should be able to get both. If you have until May you should easily become an expert on all that's available in the marketplace :) I could surf for gear for hours on end LOL

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would avoid having any sound at all in your helmet on a sportbike. No iPod, no phone, nada. And contrary to popular belief, while it's better in an emergency to have friends around, it is generally safer to ride by yourself and set your own pace than to ride with folks who will set your pace for you. I only reluctantly go out on group rides, and only for charity or with my brothers. I've been riding for 30 years + myself, and my dad was an NYPD Motorcycle cop so I got my first ride on a wheel when I was 2 :D

BRAVO, well said...I use to do a lot of runs, I have since backed off as there are too many posers and new riders that are not comfortable in a group and unlike me will not stay in the back of the pack...It takes time to be comfortable riding in a large group...My best experience was being 12th in a pack of about 100 from Cleve to Painsville..Now when I do wear a helmet its my old police helmet from my days as a motorcop, protection plus no reduction in sound or sight..

Leather is better than nylon, but nylon is better than a jean jacket and far better than nothing. A lot of the new nylon jackets are pretty good, armored and vented and all kinds of happiness. And they are definitely cooler when the weather hits the triple digits (when your tires stick the best and your bike is screaming to be taken out). Like I said, get 'last year's' leather instead of this year's and you should be able to get both. If you have until May you should easily become an expert on all that's available in the marketplace :) I could surf for gear for hours on end LOL

Oh how well I know THAT..Stuck at a long light with the heat of the tarmac and the heat of your engine assaulting you..Plus all the cagers have their AC's on full which make the engine run hotter and broadcast more heat...Its not a good time...Check out the leather outlet shops for deals if you go the leather jacket route..As anal as I am about HD I wil not pony up an additional 100 or so bucks just because HD has their name on it..

Last edited:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With all the discussions on footwear,clothing and the negativity and misconceptions of owning an HD versus one of those other makes, we seem to have gotten away from the OP question.Did we mention to pick up a tool kit and a repair manual for your bike??..Not the booklet that comes with it, that's just the Owner Operating manual..Ya want the repair manual that most shops use as a reference guide...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With all the discussions on footwear,clothing and the negativity and misconceptions of owning an HD versus one of those other makes, we seem to have gotten away from the OP question.Did we mention to pick up a tool kit and a repair manual for your bike??..Not the booklet that comes with it, that's just the Owner Operating manual..Ya want the repair manual that most shops use as a reference guide...

Seems we did mention that earlier so its time for a true funny story...I was out cruising on my old 93 Glide, it was a beautiful fire engine red and just enough chrome to make stand out...I pull up to a light and in the curb lane is a classic Rolls Royce Silver Cloud..The guy in the back seat was checking out my scoot and I was checking out his car..He rolls down the window and says with a big smile " Before you ask, no, I dont have any Grey Poupon..I laughed so hard I almost dropped the bike..

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I didn't even think about a repair kit and wouldn't even know how to use it if I had it and needed to use it. I see I will have to take a basic motorcycle repair class that they offer just so I can have some general knowledge of preventative things I can do as well as if something does goes wrong I can fix it.

Now the only thing is that with a sport bike, how in the world do you keep it on the bike??? No storage capacity at all.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
seems we did mention that earlier so its time for a true funny story...i was out cruising on my old 93 glide, it was a beautiful fire engine red and just enough chrome to make stand out...i pull up to a light and in the curb lane is a classic rolls royce silver cloud..the guy in the back seat was checking out my scoot and i was checking out his car..he rolls down the window and says with a big smile " before you ask, no, i dont have any grey poupon..i laughed so hard i almost dropped the bike..

lmao!!!
:rofl:

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't even think about a repair kit and wouldn't even know how to use it if I had it and needed to use it. I see I will have to take a basic motorcycle repair class that they offer just so I can have some general knowledge of preventative things I can do as well as if something does goes wrong I can fix it.

Now the only thing is that with a sport bike, how in the world do you keep it on the bike??? No storage capacity at all.

Someone somewhere sells something that will fit under the back seat ;) Where there's a need, there's a kit somewhere!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sorry my bad...I forgot you got one of those with no storage space...

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry my bad...I forgot you got one of those with no storage space...

Hey it stays on my mind and can't say I didn't think about it once. I will just make sure I keep my cellphone charged and make sure I signed up for Roadside assistance. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey it stays on my mind and can't say I didn't think about it once. I will just make sure I keep my cellphone charged and make sure I signed up for Roadside assistance. :)

Looks like ya dont have much choice....

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
A good tank bag goes a long way. I carry a small first aid kit, water, snacks, maps, etc. For trips I have saddlebags (expandable) and a tailbag.

Latest Discussions