My 1st Motorcycle

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Remember, your first 6 months of riding are the most deadly, so take it easy.

Thanks for the caution. I've already been through the Motorcycle Safety foundations course , so I'm really trying to develop good, safe habits from the get go.

Peace,
Erik

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive been out once. I need to do a bunch of maintenance, New brakes, tires, Headlamp, plate lamp, etc...

Hooray spring.

This will give you a laugh..I got out and disconnect the battery cables and clean the ends real good.I do this before every riding season..Somehow I misplace the screws that connect the cables to the battery..I go to the dealership and wait in line about 20 mins and get new ones..I go home and hook it all up and the battery is DEAD!!! So I place the big charger on it, after 2 hrs I realized it cannot be recharged..So its back to the dealership for a new battery..

Last edited:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the caution. I've already been through the Motorcycle Safety foundations course , so I'm really trying to develop good, safe habits from the get go.

Peace,
Erik

Being on the road will always be the best teacher..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What he said -- there's no substitute for experience!

And don't forget to have fun.

(And be polite -- wave to the other bikers.)

We don't wave up here..We usually take our left hand off the grip and make a peace sign and point it toward the ground..I dunno where it started but its all good..I still remember when the raised clenched fist was the proper greeting to an oncoming motorcycle..So I ordered all my new goodies and guess what?? It snowed last night...Arugghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's raining now and I can't do any further riding until at least Sunday. Sucks.

Anyway, the plan is to ride whenever the weather is good (going to commute to work whenever possible). I figure that's the best way to get the miles and experience.

Thankls to all for your advice and encouragement.

Peace,
Erik

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's raining now and I can't do any further riding until at least Sunday. Sucks.

Anyway, the plan is to ride whenever the weather is good (going to commute to work whenever possible). I figure that's the best way to get the miles and experience.

Thankls to all for your advice and encouragement.

Peace,
Erik

If you haven't yet, you WILL get caught in a storm..I have actually gone out in the rain because there was no way I was going to attend a yearly MC event we have up here in my car..I bumped into 5 others of the same mindset and we rode in together, the dealership owner applauded us..

Last edited:

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I figure it's inevitbale...I jsut don't want to tempt fate quite yet with only a couople of weeks of riding under my belt.

that being said, what littel riding I've done has been a BLAST! I'm sorry I didn't take the plunge sooner.

Peace,
Erik

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I figure it's inevitbale...I jsut don't want to tempt fate quite yet with only a couople of weeks of riding under my belt.

that being said, what littel riding I've done has been a BLAST! I'm sorry I didn't take the plunge sooner.

Peace,
Erik

True Story: I remember picking up the departments new Harley from the dealership, I was riding with 2 CPD officers..About a mile from the dealership it started to rain VERY HARD,so I pull under a canopy to wait it out..The CPD coppers circle back around and tell me " Get out here ya sissy"..They tell me to press my nose against the windsheild and follow them...Those crazy bastards did like 75 all the way to the testing site..I creeped along like an old lady...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I figure it's inevitbale...I jsut don't want to tempt fate quite yet with only a couple of weeks of riding under my belt.

Peace,
Erik

Riding in the rain is really no biggie.If ya carry rain gear ya simply pull under a bridge or any place that offers protection and don it..If ya dont carry rainware you simply keep going and ignore the wet stuff..

Stopping, turning and starting up from a full stop will offer the greatest challenges. Remember vehicles leak oil and gas, when they hit a wet roadway they really reduce traction.Big rigs can leak deisel fuel which is probably the worst stuff to encounter..

You are now a member of the club..Welcome...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
After roughly 30 years in emergency medicine, and as a rider myself, I will say please please please wear a helmet. Lacking that, at least sign your organ donor card.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After roughly 30 years in emergency medicine, and as a rider myself, I will say please please please wear a helmet. Lacking that, at least sign your organ donor card.

After being a licensed rider since 1969 I encourage ALL NEW RIDERS to wear a helmet.

Latest Discussions