My 1st Motorcycle

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am going to finance it but I am though going to put down half of it in cash. I hope that will help in negotiations. I will definately check on the motorcycle insurance.

Putting half down should help your negotiating position..Remember most insurance requires you to stop riding in Oct..Make sure you carry the FULL 12 month package...There are always some beautiful riding days in Nov and Dec, and if you dont have the full 12 month package you don't dare ride..One company tried to sell me on a package that I could turn on with a phone call after the regualr riding season ends...Riiiiiiight, like someone is REALLY gonna be in the office on a Sunday morning..One year went out at one minute after Midnight for the first ride of the New Years. it was 4 degrees below zero, but WTF your only young once..

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Keep in mind too, somtimes the inflated price comes from Aftermarket accessories.

I paid "too much" for my most recent bike, by the price guide standards, but when you add thge cost of all the custom work already done to it, I saved almost 1000 bucks.

But, definatley haggle. And do get the year round insurance. It saved my Bacon one year when my car died beyond the point of repair, and I still had transportation to and from work in the dead of winter. Cold as hell, but I kept my job.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Keep in mind too, somtimes the inflated price comes from Aftermarket accessories.

I paid "too much" for my most recent bike, by the price guide standards, but when you add thge cost of all the custom work already done to it, I saved almost 1000 bucks.

But, definatley haggle. And do get the year round insurance. It saved my Bacon one year when my car died beyond the point of repair, and I still had transportation to and from work in the dead of winter. Cold as hell, but I kept my job.

Good points Cryo..Tricked out wheels, paint and chrome goodies can really add to the price..Make sure you invest in a good leather jacket, gloves and chaps..See another witness for the year round insurance...I forget a rehersal for a production I was in and the wife had the car...It was Nov and cold as heck, but with the leather goods I was OK..

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok here is the latest.....
I am down to 2 bikes Both are Black Honda CBR600RR They are identical for everything except the year.

Bike 1.
12k miles
$5866
TT&L is an additional $750
KBB and NADA list bike retail price of $5100
*Open to negotiate*

Bike 2:
2700 miles
$6777
TT&L & Bike cost = $7350 (Out of the door price)
KBB & NADA have value at $6800
*They wont really negotiate*

Again both bikes are the exact same...everything is equal.
Do I go with the 2003?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I dont know **** about sportbikes I really cannot assist, maybe one of the others can..

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't matter Drac!
I will go to dealership with the '03 in a little bit and offer them the KBB offer as the out of the door price im willing to pay.

There is no difference between the 03 & 06 except a small engine difference and 1 small cosmetic difference. Other than those 2 minor things it is the same bike.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doesn't matter Drac!
I will go to dealership with the '03 in a little bit and offer them the KBB offer as the out of the door price im willing to pay.

There is no difference between the 03 & 06 except a small engine difference and 1 small cosmetic difference. Other than those 2 minor things it is the same bike.

Let us know what happens..

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I went to the dealership with Bike 1.

I offered $5000 out the door. :)
Of course I was turned down and they came with a counter offer of only $50 off of the total cost. (total cost being the $5899 + TT&L which came to $6399) Yes only $50 off of that.

I decided that they obviously wrote it down wrong and came back with $5500 Out Of The Door. I even filled out a credit book to show I was serious (held onto it though). The sales mgr came out and said he was "trying" to negotiate but im sorry $50 off is a slap in the face. I shook his hand and said thanks but no thanks, took the credit app I filled out and walked out.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I went to the dealership with Bike 1.

I offered $5000 out the door. :)
Of course I was turned down and they came with a counter offer of only $50 off of the total cost. (total cost being the $5899 + TT&L which came to $6399) Yes only $50 off of that.

I decided that they obviously wrote it down wrong and came back with $5500 Out Of The Door. I even filled out a credit book to show I was serious (held onto it though). The sales mgr came out and said he was "trying" to negotiate but im sorry $50 off is a slap in the face. I shook his hand and said thanks but no thanks, took the credit app I filled out and walked out.

Boy that sucks, but its only gonna get worse..As the riding season approaches those that have extra cash will pay what the dealerships ask without question..AS your heart is set on a Honda sportbike I will not suggest you go to a Harley dealer and ask about the Harley Credit Program and see if they can do better...I put $2000.00 down on bike that was about $6500.00 and I had less than perfect credit, but they got me approved..

You could prolly get it cheaper if you went with a private owner, but I have seen the way they abuse their bikes..When they start to go bad they have them detailed to showroom condidtion and some unsuspecting buyer winds up with a POS...I had an acquaintance to that to me once, we have not spoken since...

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac - I am now considering going to a private owner.

Funny, I got a phone call from the dealer of bike #1.
They said they wanted ot know if I found anything and they would like for me to come back and "negotiate". lol.
The same guy who only came down $50 now wants to head back to the table. He balked at my $5500 out of the door price. I am now only willing to go up another 200-300(max) for the bike if we renegotiate but now he will have to throw in a helmet and jacket.

I realize now that I have all of the leverage and can find the exact bike somewhere else. Feels oh so good!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac - I am now considering going to a private owner.

Buying from a private owner isn't really all that bad..I got my first Sporty from a private owner..When I asked him why he was getting rid of it he showed me the new Glide he just purchased..The bike was a little dusty,but it stated on the first try..As I had ridden before I took it for a quick trip around the block and jumped on it few time and listen for any tell tale sounds or hesitation..It was a sweet ride...

As you are interested in sports bikes its a different ballgame.Too may of the younger riders abuse these bikes..They start them up and dont even wait a sec for the engines to warm up and they are off doing 75 mph down the highway

Funny, I got a phone call from the dealer of bike #1.
They said they wanted ot know if I found anything and they would like for me to come back and "negotiate". lol.
The same guy who only came down $50 now wants to head back to the table. He balked at my $5500 out of the door price. I am now only willing to go up another 200-300(max) for the bike if we renegotiate but now he will have to throw in a helmet and jacket.

I realize now that I have all of the leverage and can find the exact bike somewhere else. Feels oh so good!

Yes, leverage is a wonderfull thing...A jacket and a helmet for goiing up 200-300 dollars???..It better be a good leather jacket and a top of the line helmet...

Last edited:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I concur, you can get a good deal from a private owner... it is helpful, tho, if you have a friend that knows bikes well that can go with to check it out for you when you do.

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK - Bikes I'd recommended for starters ( I known I'm coming into this late) would be Ninja 500/250 or Suzuki GS500e/500f.

If you are considering private party talk see if anyone on the boards in your area would be willing to go with you to look the bike over. Most riders on the boards are more than happy to help a new rider get started. By all means do an MSF class. It will make a world of difference to your overall experience.

As far as gear check out newenough.com Quality gear at great prices. Good luck in your pursuit.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
A jacket and a helmet for going up 200-300 dollars???..It better be a good leather jacket and a top of the line helmet...

I said this because you can buy some excellent riding gear on line at E-Bay or at one of those leather discount shops that seem to be all over, well at least in Ohio...I picked up a jacket and chaps for under $ 200.00 dollars total..They ain't offical Harley Davidson clothes, unlike most HD devotees I see no reason to pay big bucks just to have the HD logo on my stuff..I agree with Cryo and Kurai, if you know anybody that has been riding for a few years, see if they are willing to go with you..My knowledge of cars is limited so I took a buddy that is stock racer and it really paid off...

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok it has been awhile.

I ended up getting ready to purchase 1 bike from the private owner and when it came time to sell the nike, he decided not too in hopes of getting more money. I was pissed but said oh well.

I ended up finding a 2006 CBR600RR for $5600. It has only 5k miles and loosk to be pretty good. The guy had a steering damper on it and a twin brothers exhaust pipe on it as well but I declined both b/c he wanted $400 for each part which would have increased the price of course.

Well I talked to him thursday and gave him $500 to hold it to show I was serious and we signed some paperwork we drafted to show the agreement. Well I get ready to go pick up the bike today and he calls right before I leave to tell me that he is waiting to get the stock exhaust pipe for the bike. Im upset b/c I thought he had it was on thursday told him I would be there to pick it up today (saturday).

He says he has to get the part from a friend and should have the bike ready tomorrow. I am still upset b/c this info wasn't relayed earlier. I will give him tomorrow but if he doesn't have it then I may walk. I hate too but I was all set to have it today and now I don't. I don't know why he doesn't have the stock pipe but oh well I hope he has it tomorrow.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok it has been awhile.

I ended up getting ready to purchase 1 bike from the private owner and when it came time to sell the nike, he decided not too in hopes of getting more money. I was pissed but said oh well.

I ended up finding a 2006 CBR600RR for $5600. It has only 5k miles and loosk to be pretty good. The guy had a steering damper on it and a twin brothers exhaust pipe on it as well but I declined both b/c he wanted $400 for each part which would have increased the price of course.

Well I talked to him thursday and gave him $500 to hold it to show I was serious and we signed some paperwork we drafted to show the agreement. Well I get ready to go pick up the bike today and he calls right before I leave to tell me that he is waiting to get the stock exhaust pipe for the bike. Im upset b/c I thought he had it was on thursday told him I would be there to pick it up today (saturday).

He says he has to get the part from a friend and should have the bike ready tomorrow. I am still upset b/c this info wasn't relayed earlier. I will give him tomorrow but if he doesn't have it then I may walk. I hate too but I was all set to have it today and now I don't. I don't know why he doesn't have the stock pipe but oh well I hope he has it tomorrow.

That is one of the hells of buying from a private owner..Like I said its only gonna get worse as the warm weather arrives..I have heard a dozen stories of people that came to the Harley Diner to here located here inside one of the Harley dealerships to meet frinends for breakfast and left with a new/used bike because thety had the cash available and paid what the dealership asked..Hoping you can find one before the riding season is upon us...

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am now the proud owner of a 2006 Honda CBR600RR!!!

Now its time to talk about clothing that is needed....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am now the proud owner of a 2006 Honda CBR600RR!!!

Now its time to talk about clothing that is needed....

A leather jacket and boots are MANDATORY..I see a lot of jerks up here riding in shorts and flip flops...They cannot imagine how much skin they will scrape off if they should have an accident, how much road rash they will pick up..I dont care how hot it is, I always wear jeans and boots..Now if ya plan on riding at night or in cooler weather invest in a pair of chaps..

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First, post pics.

Here you go!

SANY0603.jpg

Latest Discussions