My 1st Motorcycle

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am really sorry to hear that..As shihansmurf, we all have off days.so dont sweat the small ****....Hell, I failed my driving test for the car my first time out..Ya gotta get back to practicing....When shifting do you use the heel and toe method?.They remove the heel part of the shifter when we took the cop training.I got so use to it I removed the heel part of the pedal on all my bikes..

.Don't spend a lot of time on your own bike unless you are gonna test on it, you have that shifting memorized..A good rider can throw a boot over any bike and ride it once they are told the shifting pattern, 1 down and 4 up...etc..etc...Keep us posted...

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks you guys!

I went out yesterday for to ride my bike for the real first time. (1st attempt didn't go so well and was only out for 5 minutes).

I hit this big empty office parking lot and did some laps. I must admit at first I felt scared but then it felt great once I got going. My confidence is growing. I will admit that I need to learn how to work the throttle better. It can really get away from you if you are not careful. I feel the difference between the 250cc bike I had in class and my 600cc. I have to get down the releasing of the clutch and the rolling of the throttle. I don't even know how to drive a manual car so this is all new to me.

I had no problem shifting gears, I could hear the engine getting up and I would just shift and I was fine. Hey when you guys are stopping, do you always downshift as you break or do you just break and either (a) downshift after you have stopped or (b) just stay in the gear you are at and as you start again find the right gear for your speed?

I see that motorcycle pants would be a nice pick up. A problem that I see is that "the boys" keep hitting up against the gas tank. I shift front and back in my seat sometimes while I ride. Jesus, I need a cup or something or I will be impotent by next year.

I will practice everyday (weather permitting) till I feel comfortable. I will retest at the end of the month so I will take the time now to get a better feel of stuff.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not about strength when picking up a fallen bike, but technique. Proper technique and even a small person can pick up a Goldwing.

As for your drop, it happens. Now that it's out of the way you can focus on riding. Might want to get some frame sliders since your plastics are expensive.

Parking lots are great for low speed stuff. Take your time and don't rush. I've ridden an '06 CBR 600. Don't let yourself get to comfortable. That bike is fast as hell. Be mindful of self and surroundings and ride safe.

I will check out some technique's online. Thanks for the tip.
I do have some frame sliders on there and I am glad they are there. I hope I don't have to use them but in the event that it happens they will save the bike some.

Yeah in the parking lot doing laps I was hitting about 30 and I was amazed at how fast it seemed. I can only imagine how fast 60-70mph is on that thing. It is a little scary.

Yes the bike is faster than I thought and I have learned to keep the clutch and brake in mind at all times. I know now that if a newbie came to me for advice I would definitly recommend a cruiser first and something around 250cc. Learn on that thing and beat it up and then sell it to buy something bigger when you can handle it. If you buy a used 250cc bike and then sell (on craigslist as opposed to a dealer) when you want to go bigger you will certainly get back what you paid for it.

I wish I had some people to ride with no so I am not alone on the streets but I am anxious to keep riding. You all have been a great source of knowledge so thank you all.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am really sorry to hear that..As shihansmurf, we all have off days.so dont sweat the small ****....Hell, I failed my driving test for the car my first time out..Ya gotta get back to practicing....When shifting do you use the heel and toe method?.They remove the heel part of the shifter when we took the cop training.I got so use to it I removed the heel part of the pedal on all my bikes..

.Don't spend a lot of time on your own bike unless you are gonna test on it, you have that shifting memorized..A good rider can throw a boot over any bike and ride it once they are told the shifting pattern, 1 down and 4 up...etc..etc...Keep us posted...

Knowing that you failed your 1st driving test I actually feel a lil better. :)

You know this is my big question when your riding do you shift your feet on the pegs to use the break as well as the gear shift??

I have been trying 2 methods and don't know which is really better/safer.

1. Not moving my feet on the pegs and just using the toes on both feet to hit the brake and gear shift.

2. Have my ties on the pegs and when it comes time to shift or brake, slide my foot down some on the pegs so that I can then use my toes to activate both. I have started using this method to prevent me from touching the brake by accident as well as the shift gear prematurely.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks you guys!

You are welcome...

I don't even know how to drive a manual car so this is all new to me.

That could also be a hinderance..Many of us old timers learned how to drive a manual shift in our younger days as automatic transmissions were a luxary item..

Hey when you guys are stopping, do you always downshift as you break or do you just break and either (a) downshift after you have stopped or (b) just stay in the gear you are at and as you start again find the right gear for your speed

Me personally. I downshift as I brake distance permitting, when ya have a few years under your belt you will be able to downshift and brake using the front and rear brakes and you won't even think twice about it...At a light I always shift into neutral, I habit I learned in my younger days when some of the clutches were a rea stiff and a pain to shift..It saved finger fatigue when waiting at a light..

I see that motorcycle pants would be a nice pick up. A problem that I see is that "the boys" keep hitting up against the gas tank. I shift front and back in my seat sometimes while I ride. Jesus, I need a cup or something or I will be impotent by next year.

Another curse of the sports bike..I sit straight up on my bike...Skin tight jeans might help keep the " boys" in place..

I will practice everyday (weather permitting) till I feel comfortable. I will retest at the end of the month so I will take the time now to get a better feel of stuff.

That's the ticket...

Knowing that you failed your 1st driving test I actually feel a lil better. :)

Yeah, it was an embarassment to be sure... I had borrowed my Aunts car because it had power steering and brakes..I just over comphensated...

You know this is my big question when your riding do you shift your feet on the pegs to use the break as well as the gear shift??

Since most cruisers, (I say most because this copper I knew had a big BMW cruiser and it had pegs) have floor boards it is more of a slide fowared for me..The brake pedal on my bagger is about the size of one in a sub-compact so there is never mistake..

I have been trying 2 methods and don't know which is really better/safer.

1. Not moving my feet on the pegs and just using the toes on both feet to hit the brake and gear shift.

2. Have my ties on the pegs and when it comes time to shift or brake, slide my foot down some on the pegs so that I can then use my toes to activate both. I have started using this method to prevent me from touching the brake by accident as well as the shift gear prematurely.

That is something you are gonna have to decide on yourself..My first 3 bikes had pegs and no ties and I HATE pegs..I learned to ride resting my feet on the pegs at the arches...

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I thought that I would update my progress in this thread since it has been awhile.

After a few weeks of hitting a empty parking lot and a small street behind my house I finally decided to hit the streets! It was nice to get in the street and apply what I have learned in class and reading. I must say that I did enjoy it but I will also say that the ground is REALLY close and so are the cars!! The cars look so big and bulky and it is scary to see people hold cellphones and text while they drive.

I also hit the highway 2x and I loved it! I see that on a sportbik you need to lay on the tank to make sure that the wind doesn't take you off the bike. It was especially windy the past 2 days when I rode on the highway so maybe that had a lot to do with it. The feeling of being on the bike and moving with my legs pressed on the tank felt great. I can now see why people love motorcycles.

I havde no problems shifting anymore at all.
The ONYL problem I have now is starting out when I am at a stoplight. The engine stalls as I start to go and I have to restart and try again. I hate having to stop at a light especially if I am going up a hill because all of the time I end up stalling out the engine and having to re try until I can get to moving.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After a few weeks of hitting a empty parking lot and a small street behind my house I finally decided to hit the streets! It was nice to get in the street and apply what I have learned in class and reading. I must say that I did enjoy it but I will also say that the ground is REALLY close and so are the cars!! The cars look so big and bulky and it is scary to see people hold cellphones and text while they drive.

Welcome to our world..

I also hit the highway 2x and I loved it! I see that on a sportbik you need to lay on the tank to make sure that the wind doesn't take you off the bike. It was especially windy the past 2 days when I rode on the highway so maybe that had a lot to do with it. The feeling of being on the bike and moving with my legs pressed on the tank felt great. I can now see why people love motorcycles.

Flying down the highway with the wind in your face is one of the pleasures of bike riding..I cant see laying down for an extended period as being comfortable..With a cruiser you sit straight up and fire up the local rock station..You fight the wind against the fairing a little but thats about it..Heavier bikes are not affected by the wind all that much..

I have no problems shifting anymore at all.
The ONYL problem I have now is starting out when I am at a stoplight. The engine stalls as I start to go and I have to restart and try again. I hate having to stop at a light especially if I am going up a hill because all of the time I end up stalling out the engine and having to re try until I can get to moving.

The engine is stalling???..Maybe you need your carbs re-jetted or your idle set a little higher..When standing at a light in neutral or in gear with the clutch in your bike should idle nicely..If your in gear with the clutch pulled in you could try reving it a few times in insure it wont stall before you let out the clutch...But that is comphensating for something that is wrong, take it to a local bike shop or ask a bud that is a rider to give it a road test and make adjustments as needed...

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to our world..

Flying down the highway with the wind in your face is one of the pleasures of bike riding..I cant see laying down for an extended period as being comfortable..With a cruiser you sit straight up and fire up the local rock station..You fight the wind against the fairing a little but thats about it..Heavier bikes are not affected by the wind all that much..

The engine is stalling???..Maybe you need your carbs re-jetted or your idle set a little higher..When standing at a light in neutral or in gear with the clutch in your bike should idle nicely..If your in gear with the clutch pulled in you could try reving it a few times in insure it wont stall before you let out the clutch...But that is comphensating for something that is wrong, take it to a local bike shop or ask a bud that is a rider to give it a road test and make adjustments as needed...

No laying on the tank for exteended periods of time can certainly be a pain. I know my hands/wrists and forearms were EXTREMELY sore b/c I was holding onto the handlebars for dear life...lol

Maybe stalling isn't the correct term. When I stop at a stop sign or red light I always stay in first gear. I just hold in the clutch until I get ready to go. I guess I am not hitting the throttle fast enough as I let off the clutch.

Sometimes I get it just fine and other times I must not be giving it gas at the right time b/c I let off the clutch and then I jerk to a stop and have to restart the engine and try again.

I always try to start riding in the friction zone and then hit the throttle.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No laying on the tank for exteended periods of time can certainly be a pain. I know my hands/wrists and forearms were EXTREMELY sore b/c I was holding onto the handlebars for dear life...lol

Yeah, sore wrist and hands are common complaint..It happens alot during the first year of riding...As you grow more confident in your abilties you loosen you grip a bit..Ya wanna talk about sore hands and fingers?? Did you ever see motorcops in a parade? They are riding side by side and cruising along at 1-2 mph and YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED to put your feet down unless the procession stops dead..Its a skill I learned in the police MC school and alot of practice is required...

Maybe stalling isn't the correct term. When I stop at a stop sign or red light I always stay in first gear. I just hold in the clutch until I get ready to go. I guess I am not hitting the throttle fast enough as I let off the clutch.

OK, that makes sense...Ya just gotta practice twisting the throttle a little faster

Sometimes I get it just fine and other times I must not be giving it gas at the right time b/c I let off the clutch and then I jerk to a stop and have to restart the engine and try again.

Stalling out at a light is an embarassment..Done it a few times myself..

I always try to start riding in the friction zone and then hit the throttle.

????

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, sore wrist and hands are common complaint..It happens alot during the first year of riding...As you grow more confident in your abilties you loosen you grip a bit..Ya wanna talk about sore hands and fingers?? Did you ever see motorcops in a parade? They are riding side by side and cruising along at 1-2 mph and YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED to put your feet down unless the procession stops dead..Its a skill I learned in the police MC school and alot of practice is required...

OK, that makes sense...Ya just gotta practice twisting the throttle a little faster

Stalling out at a light is an embarassment..Done it a few times myself..

????

That is nuts that you can't put your feet down and going that slow. I had the hardest time doing that in the MSF class and my feet hit the ground a number of times b/c I was going so slow and couldn't control the bike anymore.

I will work on that till I can do it a number of times without any problem. When it happens I just wish that the visor on my helmet was darker...lol

In MSF class they call the "friction zone" that area when you are in 1st gear and you use the clutch by itself to start riding and stop. On my bike I can go around 8 mph on just realsing the clutch some and then when I squeeze it I fully stop. This is all with no throttle. They call it the friction zone. I use that technique when I am at stop signs/lights to get ready to take off. As you know, it doesn't always work out in my favor...lol

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is nuts that you can't put your feet down and going that slow. I had the hardest time doing that in the MSF class and my feet hit the ground a number of times b/c I was going so slow and couldn't control the bike anymore.

If ya wanna be a "motorcop" that's only one of many skills you have to aquire..I've learned how to literally turn a dime, I make turns so steep I actually scrape my floorboards against the road..We do a crazy version of the " Figure 8" thats a lot of fun..2 clusters of 3 cones are set up about 500 feet apart..You head to the first cluster at top speed and slow just enough to make the curve and then speed on to the next cluster..It is a timed event..We do curb pull off thats a lot of fun..The bikes are backed into the curb and are pointing North, on command you mount your bike and pull off heading South..It aint easy..You do the standard Figure 8 too except my brother officers take the place of some of the cones..Probably the scariest time for me was the first time I had to run Priority One to a domestic..In a crusier ya really dont think about the traffic, on a bike it a whole new experience

I will work on that till I can do it a number of times without any problem. When it happens I just wish that the visor on my helmet was darker...lol

I hear ya on that one...

In MSF class they call the "friction zone" that area when you are in 1st gear and you use the clutch by itself to start riding and stop. On my bike I can go around 8 mph on just realsing the clutch some and then when I squeeze it I fully stop. This is all with no throttle. They call it the friction zone. I use that technique when I am at stop signs/lights to get ready to take off. As you know, it doesn't always work out in my favor...lol

Ohhhh.. I never new that had come up with a name for it...By the end of the Summer your skills will surprise you...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just wondering how your riding is going?? Summer will soon be at an end and then comes the fun of riding in the Fall..Now you have to contend with wet leaves and that a whole new headache..Did you get caught in the rain yet???

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So who had been out riding this year??

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So who had been out riding this year??

I was! I was! Took the rex out on Fri. and Sat.

I Need to get new tires though, original BT020's are down to the wear bars, gonna go with pilot roads this time.

Have you been out at all?

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I finally got out last Friday...Just ordered a new windsheild and air deflectors...

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just bought a Yamaha v-star 650, first Bike. I pick it up tomorrow and I cannot wait to rider her home :)

Peace,
Erik

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just bought a Yamaha v-star 650, first Bike. I pick it up tomorrow and I cannot wait to rider her home :)

Peace,
Erik

My first bike was a Vstar 650. I traded up within a year to the 1100. Love the Vstar series of bikes.

Latest Discussions