Motorcycle advice

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is a little off topic but I am sure some of the members here ride motorcycles. I am considering getting a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard M50 http://www.delmarvapowersports.net/dlrindexsend_pg_nv_veh_14172-2005_Suzuki_Boulevard+M50.htm

As a kid I rode a CR125 Honda dirt bike and have the scars to prove I did many stupid things. Now that I am a little older and I hope smarter the thought of getting a street bike has me excited and worried at the same time. But I can save a ton of money in gas since my 2004 Dodge 4x4 drinks so much of it.

I wanted to ask some of the fellow riders out there some questions. One being would the above bike make a decent first? Have any of you had bad experiences riding a bike to a larger city like Dallas? I hope to ride mine to work (Downtown Dallas) Everyone keeps telling me I’m crazy it’s too dangerous on the roads today I just keep thinking it can’t be that bad out there? Anyway just looking for experiences that any of ya’ll may have had.

Jmh7331

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have 2004 Honda Shadow Aero that I ride back and forth to work. I was sick of paying $80 to fill up both tanks of my F-150. I work in/around Philadelphia so there is a lot of traffic. I'm not sure what your state laws are like but I would strongly suggest taking a safety course. It is not required here, and I had a bike in college but I took the course anyway and really learned a lot. It better prepared me for evasion techniques! When riding you just have to keep focused, especially in a high traffic area. You should always be scanning ahead and thinking about possibilities. I would say that I have "close calls" (someone pulling out in front of me, into my lane, opening parked-car doors etc.) about once in every five times I ride, maybe more. Fortunately I have missed everything. I also wear a helmet (not req. in PA), a kevlar-padded jacket, boots and gloves. I might not look as "cool" as the guys with a tank-top and ball cap but riding is dangerous and "cool" enough with adding to it. Just my 2 cents. Riding is great, and cheap. Good luck with your purchase and send me a pic! - Jim

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The 50 Cubic Inch is about 820 Cubic Centimeters.

Just about everyone I know who got a 800 or smaller engine always stated they wish they had gotten a bigger bike.

I have the Honda Sabre which is an 1100 cc bike. It is nice, but the options on this size bike and smaller, are not always there for hard saddle bags and such. I say this in case you are going to need to carry a laptop of something else back and forth to work.

Yet some people do not feel comfortable with the bigger bikes at first, so the M50 or anything from 750 to 1100 would be a good size to start on.

I recommend taking a driving safety course, they really do help. When I took mine, my friend who has been riding since the mid 60's , enjoyed the class and thought it was a good refresher.

I always break out my books on it for each new riding season, and then I always take it easy and defensive.

Good Luck
:asian:

Jmh7331

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Just about everyone I know who got a 800 or smaller engine always stated they wish they had gotten a bigger bike.

That's why you can usually find used 750's. Guys get one for a year and then upgrade. I passed up an ACE with tons of accessories to get the new Aero. After having to shell out for the windsheld, bags and other goodies I sometimes wish I went the other way. The only time I want something bigger is on long trips (and sometimes when trying to go over 65!) But for the price and gas mileage you can't beat a 750 for back-and-forth to work.

Latest Discussions