My 1st Motorcycle

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Besides, having ridden both, I just prefer a cruiser. I'm sure the guys who park their Italian and Japanese superbikes on the curb in downtown Royal Oak and drape themselves over them, wearing full dayglo leathers and drinking espresso from little cups who greet each other with 'Ciao, Ciao!' are faster.

Yay, them.

Low and slow is just fine with me. Kick the neck out a bit, drop the saddle, and that v-twin sound doesn't sound like an insect that you want to swat. I don't need ape-hangers or a hardtail, just a nice comfortable ride.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Probably the scariest thing will be riding in a group for the first time...Its just another skill you will need aquire..Every riding season there are Poker Runs and Charity Runs aplenty, they are a whole lot of fun and make money for some worthwhile groups..Most of the time it will be in a staggered formation, not side by side as you see in the old biker movies..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Besides, having ridden both, I just prefer a cruiser. I'm sure the guys who park their Italian and Japanese superbikes on the curb in downtown Royal Oak and drape themselves over them, wearing full dayglo leathers and drinking espresso from little cups who greet each other with 'Ciao, Ciao!' are faster.

Yay, them.

Low and slow is just fine with me. Kick the neck out a bit, drop the saddle, and that v-twin sound doesn't sound like an insect that you want to swat. I don't need ape-hangers or a hardtail, just a nice comfortable ride.

Yeah, I hearthat crap alot about them arriving to the next place faster than me.. My answer is "Yes you will". But all the ladies will see and hear the big black Harley when I arrive"..I have ridden the hardtail ape-hangers with the over extended front end..Wasn't comfortable back then, but then comfort wasn't a consideration, ya hadda look cool...LOL..

Last edited:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was out one very hot Summer day and while crusing along I-480 I see this BMW convertable that is broke down and a very pretty lady standing besides it..I stop and ask if I can be of help, she needs a ride to call a tow truck and didnt own a cell phone..She hikes up her short skirt up and throws a leg over and away we went...Over lunch she said that a couple of kids on racing bikes offered her a lift and she refused..What kind of lady would ride on the back of one of those machines with her aruse up in the air??...I laughed...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was out one very hot Summer day and while crusing along I-480 I see this BMW convertable that is broke down and a very pretty lady standing besides it..I stop and ask if I can be of help, she needs a ride to call a tow truck and didnt own a cell phone..She hikes up her short skirt up and throws a leg over and away we went...Over lunch she said that a couple of kids on racing bikes offered her a lift and she refused..What kind of lady would ride on the back of one of those machines with her aruse up in the air??...I laughed...

Made me think of this...

Roger Waters The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking Lyrics

An angel on a Harley
Pulls across to greet a fellow rolling stone
Puts his bike up on it's stand
Leans back and then extends
A scarred and greasy hand...he said
He said, how ya doin bro?
Where ya been?
Where ya goin'?
Then he takes your hand
In some strange Californian handshake
And breaks the bone
"Have a nice day, hehe"

A housewife from Encino
Whose husband's on the golf course
With his book of rules
Breaks and makes a 'U' and idles back
To take a second look at you
You flex your rod
Fish takes the hook
Sweet vodka and tobacco on her breath
Another number in your little black book

These are the pros and cons of hitchhiking
These are the pros and cons of hitchhiking

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judging my her looks, dress and and speech she was a CEO or something...So I had 2 chances, slim and none...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This post reminded me of an avatar in use on one of the smartphone forums I frequent. It's a couple on a racing bike being pulled over by the police, most likely because her skirt has ridden up to her waist in back, and she's, um... going commando. :rofl:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This post reminded me of an avatar in use on one of the smartphone forums I frequent. It's a couple on a racing bike being pulled over by the police, most likely because her skirt has ridden up to her waist in back, and she's, um... going commando. :rofl:

I have seen that picture...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a little biased against the racing bikes because a friend of mine was involved in an accident which resulted in the death of the 18 yo rider (on the kid's birthday no less). The kid came around a corner too fast, drifted into my friend's lane, and slammed into the side of his car. There was nothing my friend could do.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah those kids imitation the famous Star Boys riders are the worst hazards to traffic...I have seen front wheel wheeleys and extended rear wheel wheeleys, always when I'm off duty...I still cannot believe that riding in a crouched position give any rider especially a new rider and advantage

Hardleys (LOL) as well as the big Jap cruisers and the big standards are for someone with a few years under their belt..

Your last sentence says it best..Not a big fan of the Dyna's myself..My first Sporty was a 76 Anniversary special that was still set up to run on unleaded gas, it was a lot of fun but strickly a bar hopper..It was 900cc and only had 4 gears

My first ever motorcycle was a Honda 50, I rode it into the ground..Next was a Honda 750 or 550, I really cannot remember..Following that was a aforementioned Sporty and then about a year later my first Gide...The worst Harley I ever owned was the 1992 FXRT Sport Glide.It was too lightweight to be considered a cruiser, it was either that or a Jap crusier..Now I have an Ultra Classic...Let the youngsters have the speed..I put in a cassette and cruise along and 75 with no shakes or shimmmey...My wife negotiated for a back rest add on which really reduces the strain..But we are getting WAY off the OP questions for this thread..

Yes we are. I thought we were going to get smacked from the powers above for a thread hijack LOL.

Sorry to the OP about that, sometimes I get carried away.

Michael

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you really want to have some fun look into a trike..No need to worry about balance..Turning is a bit tricky but that's about all..They range from the normal to the really out there..Do a Google search for Trikes, you wont believe your eyes...

Attachments

• $trike 2.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 117
  • $trike 1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 121
OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You guys have provided me with cringes, excitement, and good ol laughs. Thanks for that, I needed it.

I must admit I am nervous and after reading what you all have said and other stuff I am still ready to proceed. I plan on buying my bike BEFORE I take the class. It will sit in my garage though until I take a class and I have a permit to operate it. I found a Honda CBR600 that I liked and will see if I can haggle the price for it. Do you all see dealers as willing to haggle on used bikes? I would think with this economy, anything is negotiable. I was told to negotiate the Out Of The Door price instead of the sticker price. I will say I am looking at some cruisers as well. For the first time I sat on some bikes and after sitting on a Suzuki GSX-R, I realize I don't want to be leaning that low. Honda's didn't have me lean that low and felt comfortable. Sitting on a cruiser did feel a lil different and didn't feel like I was on a "motorcycle" but I am becoming open to them.

Im glad you all chimed in b/c I was on another board and read how some people were adamant about new riders not getting a sportbike for their first bike even if it was a 600cc. They said it is best to start out with a 250 or something around that size. Your thoughts on this?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You guys have provided me with cringes, excitement, and good ol laughs. Thanks for that, I needed it.

I must admit I am nervous and after reading what you all have said and other stuff I am still ready to proceed. I plan on buying my bike BEFORE I take the class. It will sit in my garage though until I take a class and I have a permit to operate it. I found a Honda CBR600 that I liked and will see if I can haggle the price for it. Do you all see dealers as willing to haggle on used bikes? I would think with this economy, anything is negotiable. I was told to negotiate the Out Of The Door price instead of the sticker price.

Don't wait too long.. It is almost the start of the riding season and as soon as the warm weather arrives and the people get bitten by the bug the prices will go up..Yes always negotiate the " Out The Door'".price..Make sure your bike has a license plate and you can practice starting it and moving up and down your driveway, as long as the neighbors dont complain..

I will say I am looking at some cruisers as well. For the first time I sat on some bikes and after sitting on a Suzuki GSX-R, I realize I don't want to be leaning that low. Honda's didn't have me lean that low and felt comfortable. Sitting on a cruiser did feel a lil different and didn't feel like I was on a "motorcycle" but I am becoming open to them.

Go sit on a Harley cruiser and you will feel that your sitting IN the bike and NOT on it..

Im glad you all chimed in b/c I was on another board and read how some people were adamant about new riders not getting a sportbike for their first bike even if it was a 600cc. They said it is best to start out with a 250 or something around that size. Your thoughts on this?

I am the same way about sports bikes..Buy a 250-350 and put in a year of riding sitting straight up..When you no longer have to think about shifting and steering then you will be ready to move up..Then go buy your crotch rocket..

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't wait too long.. It is almost the start of the riding season and as soon as the warm weather arrives and the people get bitten by the bug the prices will go up..Yes always negotiate the " Out The Door'".price..Make sure your bike has a license plate and you can practice starting it and moving up and down your driveway, as long as the neighbors dont complain..

Go sit on a Hardley cruiser and you will feel that your sitting IN the bike and NOT on it..

I am the same way about sports bikes..Buy a 250-350 and put in a year of riding sitting straight up..When you no longer have to think about shifting and steering then you will be ready to move up..Then go buy your crotch rocket..

+1 with all that Drac said.....all........EXCEPT that one (just kidding Drac, is there some kind of emoticon to show I'm just goofing around?)

Michael

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Riding a cycle comes real easy to some folks, and I hope you are one of them..Like a said my first bike was a Honda 50 and I rode the wheels off it.. There were some guys that came into the resturant I worked at and we got into a long discussion about bikes, they invited me to go riding with them next week..I explained that I only had a small bike and they said not to worry..
I get to one of the guys house and there in the garage is a 1970 Harley 1200 FL..That one is yours for the day, and after a few trips around the block to insure I had the shifting down we went for a " little " ride..Must have put 100 some miles on that day, that was it I was hooked...

Last edited:
OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I found the bike I want. I went bike shopping today and saw some good things but finally settled on a Honda CBR600RR.
I think the dealier is asking too much though. The condition is good and has 12k miles on it but they want $5688 for it. The TT&L would roughly be around $750. Should I be aware of any other charges?

I just went to KBB.com and it suggested that the price be $5018.

Seems like they need to come down a lot on the bike. Any advice?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I found the bike I want. I went bike shopping today and saw some good things but finally settled on a Honda CBR600RR.
I think the dealier is asking too much though. The condition is good and has 12k miles on it but they want $5688 for it. The TT&L would roughly be around $750. Should I be aware of any other charges?

I just went to KBB.com and it suggested that the price be $5018.

Seems like they need to come down a lot on the bike. Any advice?

Make him an offer...Do you have cash or are you going to finance??? if ya have cash in hand you will be surprized how fast the prices will drop..Dont forget to factor in insurance...That will require you to make a few calls, companies that handle you car insurance will turn their noses up a covering a bike..Check with the dealership and see if they know anyone..

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Make him an offer...Do you have cash or are you going to finance??? if ya have cash in hand you will be surprized how fast the prices will drop..Dont forget to factor in insurance...That will require you to make a few calls, companies that handle you car insurance will turn their noses up a covering a bike..Check with the dealership and see if they know anyone..

Ok I checked the NADA website and they list a suggested price of $5100.

I am going to finance it but I am though going to put down half of it in cash. I hope that will help in negotiations. I will definately check on the motorcycle insurance.

Latest Discussions