My 1st Motorcycle

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard bike mileage doesn't really matter is that the case?
I was trying to stay around an '03-'04 as well. Do years make a difference as it does with cars? I have decided not to spend no more than $5k on it.

As long as the bike is well maintained, I'd say no. Be wary, tho, of a newer model bike with high miles, it may have been ridden like a cheap whore... also understand the potential for little things to go wrong if you buy a more "well used" bike... things that are cheap and easy to fix, but a pain in the butt on the side of the road like a broken clutch cable or throttle cable, etc... make sure its not leaking oil (or in the case of a Harley, too much oil, hehe) and if you don't buy from a dealership, take it in for "spring maintenance" when you buy it and have it checked over. If you do all that, and, like I said above make sure its got good tires, the mileage shouldn't matter too much. You have an advantage too... Sportbikes tend to resale a little lower than cruisers now, so you can probably find a nicer sport bike in that price range.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You guys have given me a lot of input, thanks and keep it up.

I am 31 and I am not interested in doing wheelies and endo's and all that stuff. I live in Minnesota so I only get 3-4 months of riding time a year. I would like to ride it during the day and enjoy it. Not big on hitting 100+ MPH and stuff. I value life way too much and especially as a beginner it is nothing but a recipe for disaster.

I heard bike mileage doesn't really matter is that the case?
I was trying to stay around an '03-'04 as well. Do years make a difference as it does with cars? I have decided not to spend no more than $5k on it.

No, bike mileage does not matter, maybe Aikicomp will chime in too..The utimate choice is a bike that you can sit on and feel comfortable with BOTH FEET firmly against the ground, no tippy toes...Like you here in Ohio we only get about 3-4 months of decent riding weather, how are you gonna ride....Long rides? Look at a cruiser..Just running back and forth to work consider a step below a cruiser...Get a bike and learn to handle it well and then get your permanent MC license..

Every Spring and Fall dealerships across the country offer test rides...That is the best way to select a bike..Please Please Please don't listen to the jerks out there that say Harleys are junk and ya spend more time wrenching on it than riding it if you are tempted to go that route..I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, and I have been riding HD since the early 8O's with NO MAJOR problems..Keep us posted....

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please Please Please don't listen to the jerks out there that say Harleys are junk and ya spend more time wrenching on it than riding it if you are tempted to go that route..

This is true... Harley had a reputation for this, but their production has gotten much better, the image hasn't yet.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Harley had a reputation for this, but their production has gotten much better

Yeah..The difference between my 83 and 02 Glides are unreal..There is also the whole trade value...I have NEVER lost money trading in one of my HD's..Even the cast iron Sporty I purchased from a private owner...I bought for $1,800, the dealership gave me $ 2,000 for it..I paid $9.965 for my last used Glide, when I went to trade it in the gave me $9,900 for it and I rode it for 4 years...Plus Harley Davidson Credit were a big help..They even have programs for first time buyers like wheel to wheel coverage and a reduce interest rate if you take their insurance...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't normally get out on the road, but when I was younger I raced semi-pro and pro motocross. Here is my advice, go take a class and learn how to ride. I had a brother-in-law that just got a new Harley Davidson and he did not knwo how to ride. I tried to teach him before, but he would not listen to me. This was his mistake. It did not take him long to crash that bike. Long story short, he went and took a class.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't normally get out on the road, but when I was younger I raced semi-pro and pro motocross. Here is my advice, go take a class and learn how to ride. I had a brother-in-law that just got a new Harley Davidson and he did not knwo how to ride. I tried to teach him before, but he would not listen to me. This was his mistake. It did not take him long to crash that bike. Long story short, he went and took a class.

Yeah,I hear that alot and its true..People that say riding is easy have never ridden

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Find a friend with with some know how when it comes to buying used bikes. Check for leaking fork seals, engine cases, break master cylenders ect... as stateded before check tires, looks for signs of the bike being droped, ask if it has been droped. 5k should get you a good used bike @ a dealer. Stay with smaller cc bikes for your first year or so , you'll know when your ready to move up. Ride smart, cage drivers don't see bikes so you have to see them. Ride safe.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Find a friend with with some know how when it comes to buying used bikes. Check for leaking fork seals, engine cases, break master cylenders ect... as stateded before check tires, looks for signs of the bike being droped, ask if it has been droped. 5k should get you a good used bike @ a dealer. Stay with smaller cc bikes for your first year or so , you'll know when your ready to move up. Ride smart, cage drivers don't see bikes so you have to see them. Ride safe.

Couldn't have said it better myself..Make sure the dealer is a reputable dealer..Check the Better Business Bureau for complaints..I make this point because I saw a SuperGlide on a show room at a dealership for an excellent price , but I was leary.I saw some dings and scrapes and when questioned the salesman stated that the bike had fallen off its kickstand, but something told me to pass on it...Met the real owner by chance who told me that the bike had been dropped doing about 65mph...If you find a friend as Stonecold said, buy him lunch and bring him with you when you find a couple of bikes you like...

Last edited:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once you make your purchase pick up a REPAIR MANUAL for your make and model and a tool kit..Some bikes may have the OWNERS MANUAL, but that's just basic information..E-Bay Motors have some sweet deals on both and they will be of great value to you...

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the biggest dangers of bikeriding(goes for bicycle too), aside from not being seen by a car or truck, is sliding on Wet surfaces like wet leaves, oil spils, and train tracks. Train or tram tracks must be crossed at practically 90 degrees. I was in the rain, with a backpack, a side bag and a rather heavy laptop on the other side....i had to cross the tracks to avoid a lady oppening her car door. I decided to coast over the tracks at too sharp of an angle..and WHAM! The bike toppled(especially bad is when the frontwheel goes) so fast and so abruptly that i couldn't even regain and just made sure not to send the moped into the lady, so i crouched on the seat real quick and while flinging the bike one way(right into an oncoming tram)-i jumped off the other way with all the baggage-coincidentally the day before my mom bought me a biker jacket, better helmet and kidney protector-awesome! i was only going around 35/40? but unfortunately the bike didn't survive the tram wheels.

I figured, i go mountainbiking, had plenty of wipeouts in the mud and all, the moped is not that large, i can put out a leg and hold it, or so i thought-NO WAY-when the even a moped falls in a nasty manner, it can be impossible regaining.-Don't think i didn't try with all my strength-just that the thing went down before i could say jiffypop.
Since then it's back to public transport for me-although i managed to get a dl and occasionally drive my girlfriends car..
Still I check out just about every bike i see.
Fell in love with it when i was once forced to ride an old standard suzuki from the 70s to a nearby town. At the time, i had never ridden before and it was quite the challenge because on top of that, the suzukis gears were rusty to say the least.

j

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WOW, what a story..Glad you are all right...You bring up another much needed skill..The ability to pick up your own bike when drop it, and everybody will at some point...I attended a police MC riding class and that was one of the topics covered..Try standing up a 900 lb MC by yourself..It aint easy, but it can be done...Got a little faced one night and drove my Glide home, got it into the garage flipped down the jiffy stand and leaned the bike in the wrong direction..

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Got a little face one night and drove my Glide home, got it into the garage flipped down the jiffy stand and leaned the bike in the wrong direction..

Not sure what to say that would not be considered insulting here. I sorry to hear you seem OK with riding drunk. Nothing personal, just not a fan of drunk drivers.

icon13.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill Mattocks said:
Not sure what to say that would not be considered insulting here. I sorry to hear you seem OK with riding drunk. Nothing personal, just not a fan of drunk drivers

Jeeze...It happened only once Bill so cut me a little slack will ya..This will NOT BE turned into another thread where you have made it quite clear your stance on these acts..It was told to be a funny..

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeeze...It happened only once Bill so cut me a little slack will ya..This will NOT BE turned into another thread where you have made it quite clear your stance on these acts..It was told to be a funny..

Gomen na sai.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'll second the class Idea. I bought a bike, took it to a BIG open parking lot and taught myself to ride, with a little guidance from a friend. Thought I was a pretty decent rider, but wanted to get out of testing at the DMV, so I took a class... wow. I learned that I was a BEGINNING rider... after taking the class I was 100 times better. Its been 3 years, and Im contemplating doing the class again, as a refresher, even tho I ride all the time.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I talked with a California Chips officer once and he told me about freeze ups..Guy that get on the Highway and get so scared that they are afraid to brake and steer..This officer said he has found a couple of brand new bikes on the side of the road with notes that said Free to A Good Home..

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry but, I just need to correct your statement. I have been riding for 30 yrs. (mostly standard and cruisers with a dabble of sportbike here and there. I currently ride a 2004 ZRX1200R standard) and hear this all the time, just trying to set the record straight and educate where I can.

I'm not sure but, I think sport bikes were designed to be extremely well suited for balance and steering ie; rake, trail, COG, Suspesion, braking, ect. more so than a standard or a cruiser type motorcycle.

How do I come to this conclusion? Here's a little Hint....That's why all the professional and amateur road racers ride them. I don't see any vulcans or sportsters on the track...I wonder why that is?

So, if he is a new rider... a "crotch rocket" (vulgar term BTW) as you say would not be a bad choice. As far as power goes 250, 500, 600, 750......Yes.

A Busa? for a first time rider?

That would fall into the DEFINATELY NOT.. A BIG FAT NO category.

yours in Budo
Michael

You are correct that they are designed to be that way, but as a downside most new riders are not experienced enough to really lean into their turns and trust the bike, this can make them a bit more dangerous than a cruiser.

I would also second the notion of starting with a cruiser type bike and then upgrade after a season if you are comfortable.