Multiple Attackers-Fantasy or Reality?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the use of a weapon to aid in your defense. IMO, they have already raised the odds in their favor, so despite how good a fighter I may be, I wouldn't think twice about grabbing whatever was withing my reach. Just the fact that we had something in our hand, may make them think twice about moving in on us.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Regarding the use of a weapon to aid in your defense. IMO, they have already raised the odds in their favor, so despite how good a fighter I may be, I wouldn't think twice about grabbing whatever was withing my reach. Just the fact that we had something in our hand, may make them think twice about moving in on us.

This I agree on a tash can lid a stick or even a trash bag filled with garbage to swing at them anything and evrything that I could find would be used.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One on one is the best odds, two against one? ..your odds get smaller (chance of survivial).

Three or more...they have the odds against you.....Las Vegas anyone?

There will be times when you have to protect yourself against the ODDS....Hopefully your training kicks in!

People do win in Las Vegas...but the odds are in there flavor! We all (martial artist) do train for multiple attackers.....each sitution will be different when the time comes? Will we win? or survive? ...depends on you and who the attackers are?

ESCAPE always (RUN FASTER than them) .......Aloha

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this example shows some of the things advocated here in action.

Turkish fight.
Have seen this before. I think it also shows that boxing is pretty effective against untrained street attackers, and that weapons are great, but there's little time to drop your eyes to look for them and in the end, the fight can be won without them even against multiples. Notice the guy in the white sweater never got up after that right cross he ran into while executing his flying 'ninja' kick.

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Notice the guy in the white sweater never got up after that right cross he ran into while executing his flying 'ninja' kick.

It looked like a shirt until I saw it again. And he gets knocked to the ground several times while trying to kick. In all cases, someone else rushes forward towards the defender and the fight moves away from him.

But the defender had tried to kick and fell as the guy in white did, then the crowd would have been all over him.

So maybe kicks are not such a good idea in that situation unless you are really stable.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're fighting multiple opponents and have the opportunity to grab some sort of helper, and don't -- You're a moron. And you'll probably get thumped. Seriously thumped.

It doesn't matter how good a fighter you are; it's a simple reality. You've only got so many limbs, and can only focus your efforts in so many directions at once. Weapons are great equalizers... After all, even if you've only got one bullet in a gun, and are being attacked by a mob -- someone has to be the first one who'll get shot. It's amazing how few folks are willing to be that first person...

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating the non-use of weapons if they are present. You are correct; to ignore that opportunity would be moronic. What I am saying is that one skilled person can fight off multiple attackers without using weapons. And as I said in my post, I know this because I've seen it happen, not in a dojo, on the street.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to play Devils Advocate, I'll restate from my earlier post that to try and use a weapon with which you have not trained is less effective than to use the skills in which you have trained.

As it happens, in the one fight I've ever had, I was outnumbered and cornered and one of them was using an improvised weapon (broken bottle). The chap with the 'weapon' attacked first and possibly because of what he was using and the (assumed) fact that he was not accustomed to it, I was able to read what was coming quickly enough to bypass it.

My teacher in Lau Gar took pains to explain on more than one occaision that sometimes weapon use limits your options and that that was magnified if you were using a weapon with which you had no experience or training.

Of course, the whole balance changes if it's a weapon with which you are trained :D.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you know it's reality when you feel the hits coming from all directions..

Latest Discussions