Adding New Techniques Into Your Curriculum

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When teaching SD, how do you go about incorporating new techniuqes into your system. For example, when I teach SD, many of the CC techniques are modified muay thai techniuqes. However, I have never been a formal student of muay thai.

Although my SD curriculum is very effective, someone recently criticized me for teaching techniques (like low shin kicking, knee strikes, etc) without having been a formal student of muay thai.

When I see something from another system, MA, or whereever, that I believe will be an effective SD technique, I research the technique, find out how it is done in that system, meet up with my training partner, and test the technique under pressure. If it works or we can change it to make it work, we keep it.

I guess doing it this way requires a solid background in MA (which we have), and enough technical knowledge as an instructor. I can see if someone with little experience of poor experience did this, it might not work so well.

I am curious about anyone's views or process of doing this.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Although my SD curriculum is very effective, someone recently criticized me for teaching techniques (like low shin kicking, knee strikes, etc) without having been a formal student of muay thai.

When I see something from another system, MA, or whereever, that I believe will be an effective SD technique, I research the technique, find out how it is done in that system, meet up with my training partner, and test the technique under pressure. If it works or we can change it to make it work, we keep it.
Sounds like exactly what I do. I'll pirate a technique from anyone :D (giving credit--there's plenty to go around), if I think it fits within the general strategy (12 principles) of our art, and adds something more. Whether it becomes a formal part of my teaching, or just an add-on (demonstration at various times) is another matter, since the curriculum is already crowded enough. Hope this makes sense.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think this is a practical way of doing things. If we all could be transported back into time into a more martial culture (like perhaps the Okinawans of Itosu's time?) I bet we would see lots of trading of techniques and tips across sensei.

I can see the appeal in keeping one's style "pure", but the idea of a style is largely modern. The old guys just did whatever worked.

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
If it works use it! No one should be saying anything about where the idea comes from. Can only muy thai use knees? Seems silly! If it works use it!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree SD techniques comes from anywhere and everyone, all anybody does is modify it to there liking and then teach it to there classes.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When you talk about teaching SD techniques it sounds as if it is different from teaching the art that you teach. If you are teaching a martial art it is all SD techniques. You need to look right in your own home for these.

Knees, got them in almost all arts, you just need to see them. Low shin kicks, any kata where you are stepping forward to deliver a punch, the step can be a shin kick with the toes or ball of foot. It's right there, use your imaginations, see what could be.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you talk about teaching SD techniques it sounds as if it is different from teaching the art that you teach. If you are teaching a martial art it is all SD techniques. You need to look right in your own home for these.

Knees, got them in almost all arts, you just need to see them. Low shin kicks, any kata where you are stepping forward to deliver a punch, the step can be a shin kick with the toes or ball of foot. It's right there, use your imaginations, see what could be.
It depends entirely on the purpose. If you're focusing solely on self defense, you don't need all the trappings of a martial art; you just need a handful of principles that can be drilled in rapidly, and that are adaptable. That might only be 10% or less of a "full" art... It's not that the full art isn't about self defense -- but that teaching self defense isn't about teaching martial arts.

Garth Barnard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I teach a 'system' as opposed to a 'style', so if anything comes along (via, begging, stealing, borrowing, pilfering, etc, etc) then 'out with the less effective and in with the new'. I've picked up loads of gems along the way. %-}

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ahve always belived that if you have enough experence and knowledge of the system yo are in and find a technique outside of that system that you feel will improve the knowledge of your students and their ability to defend themsleves then use it.
A simple thing like learning a break fall may not normaly be taught with in your system but it is verry useful to know

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The question comes to mind ( and this may need a new thread) how much can or do you change a technique that is already in your system till it becomes a new technique

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the technique applies the principles of your system, it's part of your system, even if you "imported" the original basis of the technique.

If you change a technique in ways that use different underlying principles, it's a new technique. If the technique uses the same underlying principles, even if the expression of those principles is hard to recognize -- it's the same technique. An easy example: if the technique is evade/block/punch, and you go evade/block/kick or evade/block/throw, it's still the same basic technique. Or if you evade to the left instead of the right... But, if you go evade/throw or evade/run, you're doing something new.

I know... clear as mud.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
When the technique applies the principles of your system, it's part of your system, even if you "imported" the original basis of the technique.

If you change a technique in ways that use different underlying principles, it's a new technique. If the technique uses the same underlying principles, even if the expression of those principles is hard to recognize -- it's the same technique. An easy example: if the technique is evade/block/punch, and you go evade/block/kick or evade/block/throw, it's still the same basic technique. Or if you evade to the left instead of the right... But, if you go evade/throw or evade/run, you're doing something new.

I know... clear as mud.
Actually, that's pretty clear to me, but maybe that's because I agree with it. :cool:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Most schools do this! ...adding things to make their art more effective. Especially since there is more information available today.

Street figthing or fighting for your life? ....may involved skills not taught in regular classes. Take biting?..hairpulling...choking ( we have 21 ways for choke holds.)..but people still come up with NEW ones. Techniques that can be added should be never ending!

Limit your techniques? ...limits the skills one can learn....training in the martial arts is NEVER ending....we can always get better, and learn more!

Aloha....(try learning to throw a knife? ....not easy!)

PS: besides adding new techniques? ...sometimes you will need to subtract some old techniques too!

OP
I

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
PS: besides adding new techniques? ...sometimes you will need to subtract some old techniques too!

I have done this and received quite a lot of criticism from TKDers in the community. I guess another problem is categorizing what a person teaches. The biggest problem I run into is that I have a long background in TKD but have incorporated many effective techniques from other systems over time. When I teach, I still wear the modern TKD dobok etc, yet I have been criticized for this. Because I have taken out what I believe to be ineffective techniuqes,and added other techniques, people I know have said what I am teaching is not TKD anymore. I certainly don't intend to put on Speedos and start fighting in a cage like an animal and call it MMA. :p The goal of my teaching and training is on self-defense not sport sparring.

Has anyone delt with this kind of issue?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have in the system I used to be in. It was a kick, punch, system for the most part and the GM did not want weapons emphasized but I felt that being FMA system that my students needed to learn what the other FMA systems where doing also.
I also encouraged more throws and take downs than was sometimes used, not saying not taught , just not allowed most days.

Latest Discussions