Is BJJ The Most Effective Art For A Woman?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at this from a sexual assault/rape scenario. Considering that BJJ is a grappling art and chances are a male attacker is going to be holding his victim down, do you feel that this art is better suited to aid in her defense? Do you feel that it can stand alone or should there be other aspects covered?

I feel that it would be a big benefit. However, I feel that the focus should be on escape, not trying to get a submission. Now, I'm not saying that if the chance to break an arm presented itself, that it shouldn't be taken, just that the primary goal should be escape. Of course, fighting as hard as possible is important as well. If biting, scratching, punching, pinching or spitting is going to aid in your escape, then I'd say do it!

I also feel that training with a male partner is important. The majority of sexual assaults are most likely going to be done by a male, so it would be best to work with someone larger, stronger, etc.

Thoughts?

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking at this from a sexual assault/rape scenario. Considering that BJJ is a grappling art and chances are a male attacker is going to be holding his victim down, do you feel that this art is better suited to aid in her defense? Do you feel that it can stand alone or should there be other aspects covered?

There are some devistating kicks that be thrown from the ground that should be focused on...Head butting is also good..

MJS said:
However, I feel that the focus should be on escape, not trying to get a submission. Now, I'm not saying that if the chance to break an arm presented itself, that it shouldn't be taken, just that the primary goal should be escape.

I agree, especially on the breaking..

MJS said:
Of course, fighting as hard as possible is important as well. If biting, scratching, punching, pinching or spitting is going to aid in your escape, then I'd say do it!

I agree 100%..Biting the lip, nose or cheek..If the arm and hands are free grabbing and twisting certain will put and end to his desire..Don't forget the pressure points..InfaOrbital,Mandibular Angle, etc...etc...

MJS said:
I also feel that training with a male partner is important. The majority of sexual assaults are most likely going to be done by a male, so it would be best to work with someone larger, stronger, etc.

I agree again..I've worked and Uke'd with dozens of females at seminars and police classes simply because there are still a few instructors that place female with females..They are NOT going to learn much rolling around with another female half their size and weight..

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Back in my avid days I taught self defense courses in Ann Arbor. I was also a rape councelor at the time as well so let me add some of my old (OLD I TELL YOU) statistics.

The #1 kind of rape was and probably still is date rape. I started telling women to do exactly what we were discussing which is to disable, harm, injur, blind, anything to get out of the situation. Then I started discussing this with women who had actually been raped in this method.

In this method the shock they have to overcome is pretty sever. They probably know their attacker in in some cases very well. The urge to act at all is hard to come by they just go paralized with shock.

The second most common form of rape is violent assault. Attacker appears from nowhere / follows the target / isolates and pounces. In these cases women are more eager to defend themselves and the violent techniques seem to come right out of them.

The other thing I discovered while doing all this is that most women who come in just for self defense (as apposed to those that practice the art) do not relize defending yourself hurts you too. Simple strikes usually hurt their arm. For example I used to teach a straight palm strike from the back to the face. Women used to do this and say, "Owe it hurts my palm." when they hit the focus mit.

So I guess my addition too all this is that typically you have a lot of psychological issues to overcome with anyone who just shows up to the self defense class as apposed to taking full feldge arts.

How does BJJ address those limitiations as stated above differently than any other art?

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would think that is the last place you would want to be as a woman is on the ground, defend, strike and get out of there.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would think that is the last place you would want to be as a woman is on the ground, defend, strike and get out of there.

Instruction for anyone for self defense.

Rule #1 BE ALERT!!!!!

However they may not see the attacker and secondly notice date rape. It can go from a hug or a cuddle to rape in the blink of an eye.

Besides every Martial artists knows... training for the worse fight for the best.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach some basic groundwork as part of any self-defense seminar I conduct, though it is far from being the only thing we cover. Since ground fighting is so popular and so widely trained, I think it's important to have a good knowledge of escapes, protection, vital points, etcetera.

But the best way to win on the ground is to never let it get there. Stand-up is *still* imperative to train.

I'm working on a striking curriculum as a segment in a series ... I don't advocate that women punch anyone but other women and teenagers and even heelpalm strikes when done incorrectly can damage the elbow - so proper and careful instruction in striking must occur.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The quick answer is NO - BJJ is not the best. No single system is. Self defense is not MA. It needs to be taught differently and all the psycological / legal / physical / mental aspects need to be addressed.

Ground fighting? Essential
Stand up? Essential
debilitating, potentially life ending attacks? Essential
Mental prep? Essential
understanding of the local laws? Essential

Whatever addresses these needs is good, whatever works best for the student is best

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The quick answer is NO - BJJ is not the best. No single system is. Self defense is not MA. It needs to be taught differently and all the psycological / legal / physical / mental aspects need to be addressed.

Stand up? Essential
Mental prep? Essential

Whatever addresses these needs is good, whatever works best for the student is best
:hammer::highfive::partyon::cheers:

Preach, brother, preach!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Rule #1 BE ALERT!!!!!

However they may not see the attacker and secondly notice date rape. It can go from a hug or a cuddle to rape in the blink of an eye.

Besides every Martial artists knows... training for the worse fight for the best.

Amen!!!

Matt_Bernius

White Belt
Reaction score
The #1 kind of rape was and probably still is date rape. I started telling women to do exactly what we were discussing which is to disable, harm, injur, blind, anything to get out of the situation. Then I started discussing this with women who had actually been raped in this method.

In this method the shock they have to overcome is pretty sever. They probably know their attacker in in some cases very well. The urge to act at all is hard to come by they just go paralized with shock.
This is a critical point that's often glossed over by people who haven't done due dilligance. Across the board, at least in the US, you are more likely to be attacked by someone you know rather than a random stranger. As such, you need to get the defender capible of moving past the cognative dissonance and the social norms that are associated with treating people you know.

In general, RBSD programs tend to be the best for doing this in a short amount of time. They are not all created equal. I really like Tonr Blauer's marterial. Note that when we get past the emotional and psycological stages of the conflict, Blauer tends to heavily rely on what would best be categorized as MMA principles.

The best thing that MMA style training offers (and I'll lop BJJ in there, along with Boxing, Judo, and any other MA where there is regular, resisting contact) is constant feedback against physically resisting opponents (a part of the "aliveness" concept). That's critical. People need to be able to rely on simple techniques that they drill the crap out of under progressive resistance.

Which leads to the main problem. As others have stated, most folks are not willing to commit to really learning physical self defense. Those that are are often not committed to practicing it. And while the jury is out on how much practice on really needs, most pragmatists agree that there needs to be some form of regular (or perhaps semi regular practice).

As such, most short term programs are best to focus on the awareness and deescalation parts of self defense.

- Matt

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which leads to the main problem. As others have stated, most folks are not willing to commit to really learning physical self defense. Those that are are often not committed to practicing it. And while the jury is out on how much practice on really needs, most pragmatists agree that there needs to be some form of regular (or perhaps semi regular practice).

- Matt

Very, very good point, which is why I don't have much faith in short term "self Defense" courses in general. Without regular training, skills will be lost and forgotten. These skills take consistent training to keep sharp, and it really is a committment that needs to be made.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
bjj has many aspects that would be helpful.

trouble is, bjj -- like most of the other sport grappling arts -- rely a little more heavily on serious physical training. you have to train pretty hard, and be in some really good shape, to use bjj effectively.

most women (i should really say most people, about half of whom are women) aren't going to put in the hours.

there are some far better arts/sciences -- CDT, Krav Maga, EZ Defense (despite its obnoxious monicker), Haganah, for example -- if your goal is simply protecting yourself from rape or other assaults.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Stand up? Essential
Mental prep? Essential

You beat me to it. The best art for any person - male or female - is the art the person is mentally, physically, and emotionally willing and able to learn and maintain skills in - because if the person can't do that, it doesn't matter how effective it is; it won't be any good at all if it's not learned and practiced.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Rule #1 BE ALERT!!!!!

I was responding to the original question, is BJJ the best I would say no if you can stay on your feet you are better off, would it be helpful to know some? Of course, in the date rape situation you mention.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was responding to the original question, is BJJ the best I would say no if you can stay on your feet you are better off, would it be helpful to know some? Of course, in the date rape situation you mention.

Fair enough we all have to make some sort of assumption to answer these types of questions.

--Infy

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You may want to look at JUDO?

For those who do not train in any martial arts...there is still things anyone can do!

Gouge or attack the eyes, hit/strike or smash at the throat. Bite.

Most important ....FIGHT BACK...FIGHT BACK BECAUSE THERE MAY NOT BE ANOTHER DAY TO LIVE! Always FIGHTBACK!

Read: Gift of Fear and as many books on Rape preventions...be smart, be alert,

MOSTLY: Trust you instincts...your instrincts are the warning signs for you!

Do not under estimate the art of JUDO...it is more than just throws....still learning and training............Aloha

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello, You may want to look at JUDO?

For those who do not train in any martial arts...there is still things anyone can do!

Gouge or attack the eyes, hit/strike or smash at the throat. Bite.

Most important ....FIGHT BACK...FIGHT BACK BECAUSE THERE MAY NOT BE ANOTHER DAY TO LIVE! Always FIGHTBACK!

Read: Gift of Fear and as many books on Rape preventions...be smart, be alert,

Do not under estimate the art of JUDO...it is more than just throws....still learning and training............Aloha

Anyone who takes any martial art seriously would never discount any other martial art. I personally am just as scared of a Judo expert as I am of any other martially trained expert :)

As for fighting back there are pluses and minuses to that it depends on the situation. For example if the attacker has a weapon like a gun fighting back is not likely in your best interest.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Instincts aka "the little voice inside you", the "strange feeling in your gut" ..Male or Female OBEY THEM...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Stand up? Essential
Mental prep? Essential

Good points. Too many martial artists think that teaching defensive tactics/self defense is the same as martial arts. For self defense, keep everything simple, and try to build off of common principles instead of teaching lots of techniques. It's better to grind a couple of simple things in, while "sneaking" time in on awareness, legal issues, and defensive tools (improvised like keys or car antennas and manufactured like OC) than to teach fantastic techniques that they'll forget by the following Saturday.

To me, the key point in self defense is stopping the initial attack, breaking any holds, and getting the hell out of there. Cops have to learn to subdue and hold bad guys -- not the ordinary citizen. As soon as you step beyond that -- you add unnecessary complexity for basic self defense.

However -- I do think time spent working on falling safely is always valuable! Too many people get hurt when they fall, and all an attacker needs is that momentary vulnerability.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone who takes any martial art seriously would never discount any other martial art. I personally am just as scared of a Judo expert as I am of any other martially trained expert :)

As for fighting back there are pluses and minuses to that it depends on the situation. For example if the attacker has a weapon like a gun fighting back is not likely in your best interest.

I disagree. Keeping to the limited focus on rape, any choice that a woman makes that lets her survive is a good choice -- even if it's submission. BUT I can't strongly enough urge that the plan should always be to resist 100%. A rapist is often someone just one push short of becoming a serial killer. (For a frighteningly accurate view inside the mind of a serial killer, I strongly recommend a book titled Unfinished Murder. It's an account of a Cleveland area serial rapist, and it gives a great insight into why rape is not about sex. I apologize, I don't recall the author's name.)

And, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should a woman agree to go somewhere else with an attacker! This is almost certain to result in a murder, not "merely" (qoutes 'cause there's really nothing "mere" about it!) a rape.

Latest Discussions